Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you look at black murder rate (which is far higher than average) by state a different trend emerges:

http://www.vpc.org/studies/blackhomicide12.pdf

I've tried to find the white non-hispanic murder rate by state but couldn't find ti.
The top ten highest Black homicide rate states was not surprising at all. Most of the top ten highest Black homicide rates are home to very notoriously dangerous ghetto areas and cities with high murder rates. St. Louis and Kansas City in Missouri, New Orleans and Baton Rouge in Louisiana, Memphis in Tennessee, Detroit and Flint in Michigan, Philadelphia and Chester in Pennsylvania, nearly every sizable city in California (Oakland, SF, Richmond, Vallejo, LA, Compton specifically).

I think Maryland didn't even crack the top ten highest Black murder rate states because Maryland is home to the largest Black upper middle class in the country in areas like PG County, Montgomery County, Howard County and even Baltimore city, proper. All of this is despite Baltimore's infamous reputation of having one of the highest murder rates in the country as well as the equally murderous inner beltway PG County bordering notorious Northeast and Southeast DC. The other states in the top ten have much less of a Black middle class and or upper middle class populations in comparison to Maryland. New York and New Jersey have a similar dynamic of upper middle class Blacks in safe suburban areas or safe city neighborhoods to off-set the high homicide rates of the predominantly Black low-income areas.

I'm surprised California wasn't higher on the Black homicide rate list. Even big California cities with small Black populations have astronomically high Black homicide rates. In fact, the majority of San Francisco's homicide victims are Black every year despite SF only being 6% Black. Surprisingly to many, SF's Black homicide rate is actually much higher than Oakland most years:

San Francisco is more deadly for African Americans

The majority of murder victims in Oakland and Richmond are Black every year as well. I'm not sure what its like in L.A. as Latinos might constitute the majority of murder victims there, but I am not sure. Most of the murder victims in San Jose are Latino, if I'm not mistaken, since San Jose is only about 2% Black.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 11-04-2012 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Most of the rest (Pennsylvania, Louisiana, maybe Tennessee) have cities with severe inner city decay.
Actually, the majority of them do. St. Louis, Detroit, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Gary, Memphis, Oakland, Richmond,etc. What stands out is Las Vegas.

Quote:
All of these state have a very small black population.
Vermont has the smallest Black population in the USA, and the Black homicide rate is 16.90 per 100,000. Mississippi is also in the bottom 10, and it has a large Black population. I've mentioned it before, but I needed to mention it for this specific argument.

Quote:
That suggests white murder rate must be fairly high for the black and general murder to nearly similar. Why is Alabama's black murder rate nearly double Mississippi?
I have something you should read. It is about violence in the Deep South during the days before and after the Civil War. The Collapse of American Criminal Justice - William J. Stuntz - Google Books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture..._United_States)

I think the case with Alabama is Birmingham, which is basically the South's version of the Rust Belt. Georgia, which is next door, has among the lowest Black homicide rates in the USA, ranking 38th.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
The top ten highest Black homicide rate states was not surprising at all. Most of the top ten highest Black homicide rates are home to very notoriously dangerous ghetto areas and cities with high murder rates. St. Louis and Kansas City in Missouri, New Orleans and Baton Rouge in Louisiana, Memphis in Tennessee, Detroit and Flint in Michigan, Philadelphia and Chester in Pennsylvania, nearly every sizable city in California (Oakland, SF, Richmond, Vallejo, LA, Compton specifically).
Add Gary,Indiana to this as well. You could also add Pittsburgh,PA to this list as well. Pittsburgh's homicide rate among Black males between 2003-2005 was higher than in Philadelphia.
http://www.achd.net/biostats/pubs/Gabe/Homicide07.pdf

Quote:
I think Maryland didn't even crack the top ten highest Black murder rate states because Maryland is home to the largest Black upper middle class in the country in areas like PG County, Montgomery County, Howard County and even Baltimore city, proper. All of this is despite Baltimore's infamous reputation of having one of the highest murder rates in the country as well as the equally murderous inner beltway PG County bordering notorious Northeast and Southeast DC. The other states in the top ten have much less of a Black middle class and or upper middle class populations in comparison to Maryland. New York and New Jersey have a similar dynamic of upper middle class Blacks in safe suburban areas or safe city neighborhoods to off-set the high homicide rates of the predominantly Black low-income areas.
Alot of this is interesting. Georgia works the same way, particularly around the Atlanta area. Atlanta's murder rate has been dropping, and there is a large Black middle class in the Atlanta area, so the Black homicide rate in Georgia is very close to the bottom ten(if not at the bottom ten).

Quote:
I'm surprised California wasn't higher on the Black homicide rate list. Even big California cities with small Black populations have astronomically high Black homicide rates. In fact, the majority of San Francisco's homicide victims are Black every year despite SF only being 6% Black. Surprisingly to many, SF's Black homicide rate is actually much higher than Oakland most years:

San Francisco is more deadly for African Americans

The majority of murder victims in Oakland and Richmond are Black every year as well. I'm not sure what its like in L.A. as Latinos might constitute the majority of murder victims there, but I am not sure. Most of the murder victims in San Jose are Latino, if I'm not mistaken, since San Jose is only about 2% Black.
I'm not surprised about this. Gang violence has been a major issue in California, and not just Black gangs, but every kind of gang in California. In the LA area, there has basically been a gang war between Black gangs and Latino gangs, so that could be a part of it.

What sticks out to me is Nevada. Obviously, the violence is coming from Las Vegas, but Las Vegas seems too transient to have that level of gang activity(not that gangs don't exist there).

Old 11-05-2012, 03:54 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My point was that the death penalty is not much of a deterrent.
There is no direct correlation between the death penalty and murder rates. States that have the death penalty vary widely in murder rates meaning there are other factors involved and you can not come to the conclusion that the death penalty is not a deterrent, well you can but it would just be your opinion and based on no conclusive evidence.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Canada has a lower murder rate than the USA, without the death penalty. Few people ever ask why.
Canada has one of the lowest population densities in the world. While this is not the only factor it is one of the factors.
2 of the top 3 countries with the highest murder rate do not have the death penalty.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Vermont has the smallest Black population in the USA, and the Black homicide rate is 16.90 per 100,000. Mississippi is also in the bottom 10, and it has a large Black population. I've mentioned it before, but I needed to mention it for this specific argument.
If you're going by my link, Vermont had just one black murder that year. When the population is really low, you need to look at a large number of years to smooth it out (my town has five times more people than Vermont has black people most years we have 0 murders, one year we had 2 murders so we had a murder rate a bit above 6 one year and 0 most years).

Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I wonder why a good number of southern states: South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee for example, have higher murder rates per capita than some northern states.
I'd imagine that a researcher could correlate desperation to murder rates and, for that matter, crime rates in general.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post

I think Maryland didn't even crack the top ten highest Black murder rate states because Maryland is home to the largest Black upper middle class in the country in areas like PG County, Montgomery County, Howard County and even Baltimore city, proper. All of this is despite Baltimore's infamous reputation of having one of the highest murder rates in the country as well as the equally murderous inner beltway PG County bordering notorious Northeast and Southeast DC. The other states in the top ten have much less of a Black middle class and or upper middle class populations in comparison to Maryland. New York and New Jersey have a similar dynamic of upper middle class Blacks in safe suburban areas or safe city neighborhoods to off-set the high homicide rates of the predominantly Black low-income areas. ].
The biggest surprise to me was that Illinois didn't make the list, since Chicago is well known for some violent black ghettos. From another thread, I found a black murder rate of 14.6 per 100k for New York City and another poster 37.7 per 100k for Chicago (nearly the same as Detroit) so my assumption that Chicago has more violent black neighborhoods is correct. But the New York State murder rate is only 2 lower than the city's while Illinois' is half that of Chicago. So, the reason Illinois didn't make the list even with Chicago is half of the black population of the state lives outside Chicago (about a third of New York's does), and the black population that does live outside Chicago lives in much, much safer areas. For New Jersey, as you said, Camden and Newark may be violent but most of the black population probably lives outside these areas. There are a number of middle class black suburbs and even upper middle class burbs with a high black population % for northeastern non-city standards. Most New York City black neighborhoods are more working class than have extreme poverty, the most impoverished city neighborhoods are Hispanic more often than black. In Queens, the black median income is the same or slightly above the borough's. A high portion of the black population (30% ?) of the city are recent immigrants or their children.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
The biggest surprise to me was that Illinois didn't make the list, since Chicago is well known for some violent black ghettos. From another thread, I found a black murder rate of 14.6 per 100k for New York City and another poster 37.7 per 100k for Chicago (nearly the same as Detroit) so my assumption that Chicago has more violent black neighborhoods is correct. But the New York State murder rate is only 2 lower than the city's while Illinois' is half that of Chicago. So, the reason Illinois didn't make the list even with Chicago is half of the black population of the state lives outside Chicago (about a third of New York's does), and the black population that does live outside Chicago lives in much, much safer areas. For New Jersey, as you said, Camden and Newark may be violent but most of the black population probably lives outside these areas. There are a number of middle class black suburbs and even upper middle class burbs with a high black population % for northeastern non-city standards. Most New York City black neighborhoods are more working class than have extreme poverty, the most impoverished city neighborhoods are Hispanic more often than black. In Queens, the black median income is the same or slightly above the borough's. A high portion of the black population (30% ?) of the city are recent immigrants or their children.
You can use the same rule for places like Minnesota and Georgia. I would have expected Minnesota and Georgia to be higher on the list. Atlanta has long been one of the most violent cities in the USA. However, Blacks live all over Georgia, and many live much safer areas than just the city of Atlanta. Even in Atlanta, there are places that are predominantly Black and affluent.

From what I've heard, the murder rate for Blacks in Minneapolis is kind of high. And there are violent neighborhoods in the Twin Cities. However, the Twin Cities themselves don't have high murder rates, and Blacks live in more places than just Minneapolis or St. Paul. Blacks can be found in the suburbs such as Brooklyn Park, Hopkins, Burnsville, Bllomington, Eden Prairie, Eagan, and even in some cities further away, such as St. Cloud and Rochester.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM

True, but both Minneapolis and Atlanta are relatively small cities compared to their metro population while Chicago holds around a third of its metro population, so I would have expected Chicago to have more of an effect of Illinois numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City