Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times

Advertisements

In CA, somehow the San Jose/Silicon Valley area isn't on this list and yet the other Bay Area metros are? That makes no sense. Also as somebody mentioned previously, yes Sacramento is very diverse as well. I always take these compilations with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
In CA, somehow the San Jose/Silicon Valley area isn't on this list and yet the other Bay Area metros are? That makes no sense. Also as somebody mentioned previously, yes Sacramento is very diverse as well. I always take these compilations with a grain of salt.
Not to mention that Oakland isn't its own metropolitan area.

A larger issue is why people don't take the time to see how they come up with these lists and its methodology, yet use it as an authoritative source.

It takes around 30 seconds to figure out the methodology, yet people don't do it and take hours to argue its merit as a source, with the end result being "well they know better than you do"

I love it.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Not to mention that Oakland isn't its own metropolitan area.

A larger issue is why people don't take the time to see how they come up with these lists and its methodology, yet use it as an authoritative source.

It takes around 30 seconds to figure out the methodology, yet people don't do it and take hours to argue its merit as a source, with the end result being "well they know better than you do"

I love it.

It appears that in this ranking, Oakland and SF were separated into Metropolitan Divisions. Every MSA with 2.5 million people or more are divided that way if it is warranted under a certain criteria(forgot what it is at this moment) so LA and OC are separate, NY and Newark and LI are all separate and so forth.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It appears that in this ranking, Oakland and SF were separated into Metropolitan Divisions. Every MSA with 2.5 million people or more are divided that way if it is warranted under a certain criteria(forgot what it is at this moment) so LA and OC are separate, NY and Newark and LI are all separate and so forth.
I wouldn't credit this particular CNBC author with that much thought, considering that San Antonio is on the top 10 of the list.

Also, the criteria doesn't really specify how the diversity index was calculated to begin with.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im sorry, but no way does San Antonio belong on any top 10 diverse list. Its the least diverse off all the majors in the Texaplex. Houston, Dallas, Austin, and Fort Worth are all statistically more diverse than San Antonio.
Agreed. It has no business being on anybody's list for most diverse cities.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
San Antonio isn't even diverse...

Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
San Antonio isn't even diverse...
Agreed. ALL I saw when I was there was Mexicans and Black people. Not many whites, only in the canal. I was even in there DT

Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
this list is just a measure of "Who has the least white people" ha!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Agreed. ALL I saw when I was there was Mexicans and Black people. Not many whites, only in the canal. I was even in there DT
SA has far more whites than Blks.

You must have seen tourists.

I lived in SA for 4 years and blk people was a novelty unless you were in the NE burbs.

San Antonio MSA demographics:
71.4% White (including Hispanics)
6.2% African American,
0.8% Native American,
1.4% Asian,
0.1% Pacific Islander,
16.6% from other races, and
3.4% from two or more races.

Hispanic or Latino of any race were 50.4% of the population.

The blacks you saw were most probably tourists.

The City proper demographics are about the same.
Non-Hispanic Whites: 26.6%
63.2% Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
6.9% Black
0.9% Native American
2.4% Asian

SA is a White and Mexican City. Not a Blk and Mexican City.
Very few Blks and Asians

Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
this list is just a measure of "Who has the least white people" ha!
I don't think that's what it is, otherwise there'd be cities in Hawaii, New Mexico, and the US-Mexico border with Texas on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City