Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,665 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone
I'm a soon to be college graduate looking to relocate. I have job offers from two companies in two different locations that I have only traveled to for the interviews. I want to know which city could I live more comfortably in considering I have no student loans, car payments, or any debt really. Which one would allow me the most disposable income? I also really want to by a 3 bedroom home, which city has better housing costs? I'd appreciate anyone living in these cities makings this salary or close to it to comment. I have a feeling that their about even but that's just from research and I want first hand accounts.

Thanks In advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,506 times
If you were to just compare cost of living on the salaries you give, I'd make an educated guess that you'd have more money left in Cleveland than Mpls. The economy has been stronger in theTwinCities and housing costs are notably higher. Other costs are generally comparable. While state income taxes are higher in Minnesota, there is no city income tax in Minnesota, unlike Ohio.

having lived in Columbus for about a year,after having lived most of my life in The TwinCities, I've visited Cleveland several times and have a strong interest in the place, from Lakewood & Ohio City on the west to downtown to Cleveland Hts/Case Western on the east, Cleveland has lots of interesting areas.
I'd still have to say that the Twin Cities win out for overall quality of life, with a large number of vibrant and interesting central city neighborhoods in both Minneapolis and St. paul, excellent biking trails throughout both cities, the well established parks system is immensely popular fostering a huge culture of fitness and just getting out and walking around one of the many lakes, or creeks or the Mississippi River. Incomes tend to be higher in the Twin Cities due to the large corporate base (18 Fortune 500 firms have HQ's in the Twin Cities). I have no idea what profession you'll be working in, but the highly diversified economy of the Twin Cities may offer more options for advancement.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 AM

Thank you for your response I'll be working in the IT industry. The jobs are pretty much the same in both locations so I'm trying to compare the cost of living. In Cleveland do you think I will be able to afford a nice 3br home on that salary?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keegrl7 View Post
Thank you for your response I'll be working in the IT industry. The jobs are pretty much the same in both locations so I'm trying to compare the cost of living. In Cleveland do you think I will be able to afford a nice 3br home on that salary?
Honestly, yes. In terms of buying housing, you'd get a bit more bang for your buck in Cleveland.

Cleveland Hts:

http://www.trulia.com/property/3092412886-12876-Cedar-Rd-Cleveland-Heights-OH-44118

Shaker Square:

http://www.howardhanna.com/property/...ame=NorthernOH

Lakewood:

1260 Elbur Avenue, Lakewood OH - Trulia

Ohio City, Tremont, Shaker Hts, Detroit-Shoreway, University Circle/Little Italy are all other cool neighborhoods with very afforble, unique housing.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 11-02-2012 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,815 times
I think it's no-brainer Cleveland here-- the salaries are almost the same, and the COL in Cleveland, in terms of housing at least-- is quite a bit less. Cleveland is sometimes thought of as not as sexy as Minneapolis, but it is a great city in its own right, and when you're fresh out of college, you can find the cool spots in pretty much any city you get plopped down in...

Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM

Thanks everybody for the advice. I am starting to lean more toward Cleveland but the $5,000 less is getting to me. Those houses though are beautiful though the one is shaker square is perfect for me.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM

456 posts, read 774,092 times
Another thing to consider is that those two salaries are fairly close and since you're just starting they are both likely to increase relatively soon.

Ben

Old 11-02-2012, 02:50 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,280,663 times
Once you accept your job, I'd recommend posting in either the Minneapolis or Cleveland forums specifically:

Cleveland https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleveland/

Minneapolis https://www.city-data.com/forum/minneapolis-st-paul/

Old 11-03-2012, 11:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,815 times
^^^ Might not be a bad idea to post in both now...right now, it looks like your only criteria is income, and if that's true, I stand by my claim that the $5,000 is not going to get you much further-- if any-- in Minneapolis, since the housing market is more expensive. The houses you could afford in the Twin Cities on that income are typically not in neighborhoods you want to be in....I don't think the same is true for Cleveland.

Although, if you have other priorities-- nightlife, weather, traffic, ease of fitting in, food, museums, etc.-- you should hear from locals. I can't help you much on Cleveland, although I believe there are a few posters who have lived both places and probably lurk on both forums...

Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Minneapolis may seem like a great city, but it is very isolated. beautiful scenery all around but the next large city is Chicago which is a 7 hour drive.

drive 7 hours outside of Cleveland you could be in Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Buffalo and Toronto, Washington and Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City