Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your #1 city for our requirements below...
Indianapolis 17 12.59%
Cincinnati 12 8.89%
Chicago 53 39.26%
Pittsburgh 17 12.59%
Minneapolis 35 25.93%
St Louis 18 13.33%
Other (specify in thread) 18 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 10,186 times

Advertisements

Greetings all. I'll start with a little background on our situation. My wife and I are in our mid-twenties. She is a CPA, and I graduate with my DPT (doctor of physical therapy) in May. We have both lived in Indiana our entire lives, and we currently live near, but not IN, downtown Indianapolis. The great thing about our situation is that while we love Indy, we are in a position to explore all of our options and make the best decision for our young family (just us, no kids for 3-4 years.)

The cities listed below are what we are considering at this point. I'm definitely open to others, so mention them if you feel they would suit us. These are in no particular order.

- Indianapolis
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- St. Louis
- Pittsburgh
- Minneapolis

Here is something of a list regarding our main criteria.

SIZE OF HEALTH CARE JOB MARKET -
I'm in it directly, and would most like to work at a hospital. A large children's hospital is a huge bonus, as that would my ideal facility. My wife is a CPA, but specializes in health care.

LACK OF SUBURBAN SPRAWL - The main thing I hate about Indianapolis is that the only reasonable places to live are downtown or outside of I-465 (generally speaking). We live close to downtown now (15-20 minute walk), and if we stay in Indianapolis would likely move TO downtown. This leads me to my next point.

WALKABILITY - Self-explanatory. We are still young without kids, so we kind of want to experience living in the heart of a city. We'll worry about schools in 5 years or so. So, a safe, walkable downtown is key. Great, small neighborhoods that are self-contained near downtown will also be considered; an example of this would be Mt. Adams in Cincy. Walkable and lively in-and-of-itself.

SAFETY AND FEELING OF SAFETY - This ties in with the above two. Safe and lively downtown area. Cincinnati is also an example of what I don't want here. We stayed for a night earlier this year and went to a Reds game. Aside from the game traffic on foot, downtown (4th street) was rather grungy and empty. I certainly don't want to come across as somebody who wants to hide a city's homeless, because I don't, but I was somewhat uncomfortable there. There has to be a healthy ratio of local patrons to loiterers to impart a feeling of security. In Indy, downtown has become a place that is nearly always buzzing, and this feeling of unease is now limited to certain bus stops, etc. This is more applicable to my wife, as I am usually better prepared to defend myself if adverse events unfold.

TIME OF TRAVEL TO INDY - I'm OK relocating away from family, but my wife is less-so. This, along with having a worse winter, are the only two reasons Minneapolis isn't the obvious choice for us. She didn't like the idea of being 10+ hours away by car.

ATTRACTIONS, SPORTS, ENTERTAINMENT - The more there is to do, the better. This all ties into having a healthy, lively downtown where folks actually enjoy being.

PUBLIC TRANSIT - We currently have two cars, but would slim to one given the opportunity. Chicago is an obvious example of a great system, but the light rail in St. Louis could be an asset.

SUPPLY OF NEWER LOFTS AND CONDOS - See post #3.

That's it for now. If I come up with more, I'll add it to the discussion. Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited by -Rooster-; 11-04-2012 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Safety is a relative term somewhat but I find it kinda sterotypical you say you have to live outside i465 in indy to get a safe neighborhood. A good neighborhood outside downtown for you could be meridian kesslar. However since all you wanted seems to be in Indianapolis and your family is there too I would recommend moving to downtown Indy. Downtown indy is very walkable as you said and its ranked highly nationally for that. Plus the super bowl could be coming back to Indy in 2018. I'm sure you had fun with the festivies like I did. You also can't beat the cost of living and quality of life downtown Indy has. Similar downtown apartments in chicago and other cities cost 2X or more to live in. Plus hoosier hospitality is unique to the culture of Downtown Indy. I could keep going on but I think you get the point. Moving downtown would be your best option.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Safety is a relative term somewhat but I find it kinda sterotypical you say you have to live outside i465 in indy to get a safe neighborhood. A good neighborhood outside downtown for you could be meridian kesslar. However since all you wanted seems to be in Indianapolis and your family is there too I would recommend moving to downtown Indy. Downtown indy is very walkable as you said and its ranked highly nationally for that. Plus the super bowl could be coming back to Indy in 2018. I'm sure you had fun with the festivies like I did. You also can't beat the cost of living and quality of life downtown Indy has. Similar downtown apartments in chicago and other cities cost 2X or more to live in. Plus hoosier hospitality is unique to the culture of Downtown Indy. I could keep going on but I think you get the point. Moving downtown would be your best option.

Thanks for posting. It was very stereotypical, as it was a generalization. The point was that the VAST majority of folks in Indy take their families outside of the city...more-so than in other midwest cities I've been to. Another area we've looked at here are the newer homes in Fall Creek Place. Still, this is only because there is a very limited amount of newer, loft-style condos in downtown. Seems that there are always a few projects in the works, but places like CityWay end up wildly overpriced from the onset. Don't get me wrong, I love Indy. However, I refuse to stay here just because we're here already. It definitely has its shortcomings, as does any city.

That brings me to my next point. I would like more options for true downtown living than we have in Indy. Converted lofts, newer high-rise condos, etc. Supply/demand causes prices to get pretty high in Indianapolis. Supply is increasing here, but this move will happen next summer.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Hyde park cincinnati everything your looking for!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
if I'm not mistaken aren't they developing the former bank one operations building by msa into apartments? Also I agree with fall creek place. Its a safe urban neighborhood that's only 2 miles north of the circle and downtown. Plus its recently revitalized and the neighborhood feel is good and indygo services the area.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Default Completely and utterly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rooster- View Post
Greetings all. I'll start with a little background on our situation. My wife and I are in our mid-twenties. She is a CPA, and I graduate with my DPT (doctor of physical therapy) in May. We have both lived in Indiana our entire lives, and we currently live near, but not IN, downtown Indianapolis. The great thing about our situation is that while we love Indy, we are in a position to explore all of our options and make the best decision for our young family (just us, no kids for 3-4 years.)

The cities listed below are what we are considering at this point. I'm definitely open to others, so mention them if you feel they would suit us. These are in no particular order.

- Indianapolis
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- St. Louis
- Pittsburgh
- Minneapolis

Here is something of a list regarding our main criteria.

SIZE OF HEALTH CARE JOB MARKET - I'm in it directly, and would most like to work at a hospital. A large children's hospital is a huge bonus, as that would my ideal facility. My wife is a CPA, but specializes in health care.

LACK OF SUBURBAN SPRAWL - The main thing I hate about Indianapolis is that the only reasonable places to live are downtown or outside of I-465 (generally speaking). We live close to downtown now (15-20 minute walk), and if we stay in Indianapolis would likely move TO downtown. This leads me to my next point.

WALKABILITY - Self-explanatory. We are still young without kids, so we kind of want to experience living in the heart of a city. We'll worry about schools in 5 years or so. So, a safe, walkable downtown is key. Great, small neighborhoods that are self-contained near downtown will also be considered; an example of this would be Mt. Adams in Cincy. Walkable and lively in-and-of-itself.

SAFETY AND FEELING OF SAFETY - This ties in with the above two. Safe and lively downtown area. Cincinnati is also an example of what I don't want here. We stayed for a night earlier this year and went to a Reds game. Aside from the game traffic on foot, downtown (4th street) was rather grungy and empty. I certainly don't want to come across as somebody who wants to hide a city's homeless, because I don't, but I was somewhat uncomfortable there. There has to be a healthy ratio of local patrons to loiterers to impart a feeling of security. In Indy, downtown has become a place that is nearly always buzzing, and this feeling of unease is now limited to certain bus stops, etc. This is more applicable to my wife, as I am usually better prepared to defend myself if adverse events unfold.

TIME OF TRAVEL TO INDY - I'm OK relocating away from family, but my wife is less-so. This, along with having a worse winter, are the only two reasons Minneapolis isn't the obvious choice for us. She didn't like the idea of being 10+ hours away by car.

ATTRACTIONS, SPORTS, ENTERTAINMENT - The more there is to do, the better. This all ties into having a healthy, lively downtown where folks actually enjoy being.

PUBLIC TRANSIT - We currently have two cars, but would slim to one given the opportunity. Chicago is an obvious example of a great system, but the light rail in St. Louis could be an asset.

SUPPLY OF NEWER LOFTS AND CONDOS - See post #3.

That's it for now. If I come up with more, I'll add it to the discussion. Thanks for any and all help!
pro Chicago; born and raised but besides that I truly believe it is the BEST of the BEST! Is it perfect..no, but then no place really is but in my opinion this is as good as it gets, but again this morning I have to say that I am extremely biased.

I have only addressed a few of your criteria (Church is calling) but enough so that you will certainly be able to draw your own conclusions. Sincerely, best of luck in making your decision, relocating is always a tough call.

Bets regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Illinois CPA Society

The Illinois CPA Society maintains a listing of hundreds of job openings from professional service firms, government agencies, corporations and not-for-profit associations. Employers look to the Society for their pool of qualified applicants. Viewing job openings is a member benefit. If you are interested in membership and are a student who is not yet a CPA please complete the Student Affiliate membership application.

Jobs

There are dozens of hospitals within Chicago city limits and countless more in its surrounding suburbs.
Many of these healthcare institutions are associated with universities which provide notable educational
programs and clinical research. Rush University Medical Center is the site of one of the oldest medical
colleges in the region. It also boasts a top-ranked nursing school and other health industry-related graduate programs. Pairing academic accolade and scientific study with superior patient care, Rush has garnered national recognition in the medical community. Located just next door, the University of Illinois Medical Center is another renowned hospital that serves Chicago with outstanding treatment facilities, first-rate surgical teams and pioneering research initiatives. This hospital goes to every length to ensure both patients and their families receive the absolute best care and personal attention, whether you are in for a critical operation or just a regular checkup.

Both Rush and the U of Illinois Med Center are situated in Chicago's Medical District where you will also
find the John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital. This section of town-just south of the Eisenhower Expressway
between Ashland and Damen Avenues-may be the major hub of hospital activity, but the slew of Chicago health care facilities extends to all reaches of the city. On the Near South Side, you'll find Mercy Hospital and Michael Reese Hospital. To the north of downtown are Northwestern Memorial, Children's Memorial Hospital and Lincoln Park Hospital. Having such an extensive network of medical institutions within the area means Chicagoans have excellent options when it comes to their health. Discover which medical centers are near your home. Use our handy Chicago City Guide to search by neighborhood or zip code and locate every hospital in the vicinity.

Demographics, Shopping, Entertainment, and more...

Chicago Hospitals and Health Care | Chicago City Guide

Near West Side of Chicago

Near West Side, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Medical District Apartments

Medical District

Travel time from Chicago to Indy, 2.5 to 3 hours; traffic can be a huge variable though because there's a great deal of traffic in the "Tri-State" area.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times
I'll elaborate a bit more later, (a lil busy and I have a few questions) but if you are wanting to leave Indy I personally feel Chicago or St. Louis are probably your best bets based on what you said so far.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Pretty much all points to Chicago. There are more areas that are unsafe in Chicago, but there are also more safe areas in Chicago simply because Chicago is just much bigger than the other cities. And while Chicago may have more healthcare jobs, it also has more people applying to them so there might be some competition. Chicago is also obviously a pretty short distance from Indy among these picks.

I'd probably see what kind of offers there are for work in these cities for both of you and then see how that jives with your career goals and the area's cost of living.

In terms of urbanity and transit, St. Louis and Pittsburgh seem up there. In terms of safety, Indy and Minneapolis probably ranks the highest, but Minneapolis has a lot of sprawl and it's the furthest from Indy.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
I agree that Chicago would be a really good choice. On another note, don't let the weather keep you away from Minneapolis. It may be about 10F colder, in the winter, than the other cities you've listed, which really isn't that bad. It just might require a slight bit more of preparation, but it is definitely manageable.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times
St.Louis is a very walkable city but its not like you can walk everywhere. You most likely could not walk from your house to your workplace. St.Louis has crime, most of it is robbery or break in crime. A feeling of total safety is something you have to choose, by choosing the right neighborhood. I would suggest living in TGS, Ellendale, Dogtown etc. St.Louis has a ton of suburban sprawl, more than most cities have. I believe we are spread over 10,000 sq miles or more which is a ton for a metro of 2.8 million.

St.Louis's health care field is large and robust so you should have no problem. There are many large hospitals here (barnes jewish, mercy, ranken jordan).

Public transit here is terrible compared to Minneapolis or Chicago. It can get you places if you drive to the station and then board metrolink. Basically it just goes to the most popular areas of the st.louis area and nothing more. Unless you lived within a mile of these stations its usability is 0.

Basic overview of St.Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City