Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your #1 city for our requirements below...
Indianapolis 17 12.59%
Cincinnati 12 8.89%
Chicago 53 39.26%
Pittsburgh 17 12.59%
Minneapolis 35 25.93%
St Louis 18 13.33%
Other (specify in thread) 18 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,543,968 times

Advertisements

Without looking through all posts and BRG's Indy boosterism, of the cities you list, I would go to Chicago and consider no others, so long as you're comfortable with the cost. If you truly want a safe and truly urban experience with an extensive, reliable public transportation infrastructure, it's the only place on your list that meets that criteria, IMO. A lot of boosters will try to sell you that the others offer a much superior urban experience to Indy. The difference, if any, is marginal at best. Get the Chicago experience. If you don't like it, you can always come home. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,519,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Without looking through all posts and BRG's Indy boosterism, of the cities you list, I would go to Chicago and consider no others, so long as you're comfortable with the cost. If you truly want a safe and truly urban experience with an extensive, reliable public transportation infrastructure, it's the only place on your list that meets that criteria, IMO. A lot of boosters will try to sell you that the others offer a much superior urban experience to Indy. The difference, if any, is marginal at best. Get the Chicago experience. If you don't like it, you can always come home. Good luck.
And have a job lined up in this terrible economy.
That should be Relocation rule #1 if your not retired.
Dont move unless you have a job lined up.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,162,062 times
Pittsburgh isn't Midwest. The city isn't built and looks nothing like most Midwestern cities and unlike Midwestern cities it predates the American Revolution. Besides Cleveland and Chicago, there is not much travel from Pittsburghers to places in the Midwest. We go to Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC not Indy, St. Louis, etc.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,220,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Pittsburgh isn't Midwest. The city isn't built and looks nothing like most Midwestern cities and unlike Midwestern cities it predates the American Revolution. Besides Cleveland and Chicago, there is not much travel from Pittsburghers to places in the Midwest. We go to Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC not Indy, St. Louis, etc.
What how can you say where pittsburg people go besides Indy....tehe we the people in cincinnati only go to indy for chicago.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,660,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It sounds like you haven't been to St. Louis, because if you had, you'd know that St. Louis feels and looks a lot like Pittsburgh (minus the hills). St. Louis is also older than the United States (1764). Maybe you need to check out some of our St. Louis photo threads-- you'll see that St. Louis' built environment is more similar to Pittsburgh than to almost any other Midwestern city:

Jive & Gasm's St. Louis Instagram Extravaganza! (with a detour in New York!) - SkyscraperPage Forum

A beautiful walk in a beautiful neighborhood with my beautiful wife - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lafayette Square - St. Louis according to Mr. & Mrs. Gasm - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 11-10-2012, 03:53 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,223,119 times
I have to say as a st.louisian, Pittsburgh is not like st.louis. Pittsburgh is less gritty, more built in the downtown area and its much more hilly. Pittsburgh is its own city with its own culture although it seems kind of Midwestern but mostly northeastern.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,220,706 times
Cincinnati is probably the closes looking city to pittsburg in the midwest not st. louis and yes i have been to st. lois before.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,201,059 times
Let Pittsburgh follow the Northeast cities....nobody cares.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,431,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Without looking through all posts and BRG's Indy boosterism, of the cities you list, I would go to Chicago and consider no others
Says the one from Nowhere,IN. Chicago is absolutely worth looking into: I loved visiting it when I lived in Columbus and I still do living in Minneapolis. However, I would not for a second consider living there as a single young(ish) male. Chicago has tons of bad, and I mean bad neighborhoods and the north side of Chicago is not immune from the culture which is responsible for the killing fields on the south side. The city, unlike NYC, has not shown initiative in stamping this out. When 200,000 people flee your city in a decade it's a small hint that something is wrong and steps should have been taken to mitigate that. Even in Wicker Park, the hipster turned quasi-yuppie neighborhood that has priced out many artists and hipsters, you will be followed on residential streets by people wanting change, a cigarette, your wallet, etc from you. One thing I do not miss about Chicago is how you can go from an extremely vibrant area and while wanting to walk a few blocks to a restaurant or bar a few blocks away and it is a dead street except for you and an aggressive vagrant (singular if you're lucky).

Basically, I don't understand the point of paying Chicago prices with Chicago problems. How many yuppie or sports bars, sushi or pizza joints does one really need to make it worth it before it's a non-factor? Minneapolis, pound for pound, is bar none the best city in the Midwest. Chicago is looking to us for how to be all bike-friendly and European-like: not the other way around. That's because the culture here is measurably superior in numerous aspects. It also pays to remember that there are great spots that are unique and can't be found in Chicago, let alone New York or Los Angeles. Columbus, for example, bests any of those for vegans: an indie live music venue with a vegan-only kitchen, better vegan pastries/baked goods (I've sampled such goods from New York and it doesn't hold a candle to Columbus), and phenomenal high-end vegan cuisine (the owners get regular requests to move out east). All Minneapolis needs to say is that it has a perfectly executed zombie bar in its worst neighborhood which makes it many times better than your dozens of worst neighborhoods.

Basically, unless you really can't afford the trips between Indy and Mpls that's the only reason not to move and even then you should research Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus (the most functional urban city in Ohio: nothing else matches the miles/dozens of blocks of High St), Louisville, and Pittsburgh (yes, it's not Midwestern but you're close enough). If you're willing to go for smaller cities in the region you can add Madison and Ann Arbor where sprawl issues are minimal since everything is either in or next to downtown.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM

51 posts, read 73,678 times
Would you call Louisville Midwest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City