Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,897 times

Advertisements

As in which city's downtown core is very modern/urban in the Southeast/west, North, West

What's your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM

932 posts, read 1,946,726 times
Southeast - Atlanta
Southwest - San Diego
South Central - Dallas
North Central - Chicago
Northeast - Manhattan
Northwest - Seattle

Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM

178 posts, read 419,685 times
ummm its bellevue in the northwest

Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,911,879 times
Southeast - Miami
Southwest - Los Angeles
South Central - Austin
North Central - Chicago
Northeast - Manhattan
Northwest - Vancouver

Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM

932 posts, read 1,946,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenboy View Post
ummm its bellevue in the northwest
Never heard of it. Where's the rest of your list?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:54 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
As in which city's downtown core is very modern/urban
modern does not equal urban in most cases nowadays.

Modern is usually highrise or midrise or high density but usually the accompanying 'urban' vibe as in busy sidewalks is absent. They are still very auto-dependent.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
modern does not equal urban in most cases nowadays.

Modern is usually highrise or midrise or high density but usually the accompanying 'urban' vibe as in busy sidewalks is absent. They are still very auto-dependent.
Wasn't what I was going for.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,137,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
As in which city's downtown core is very modern/urban in the Southeast/west, North, West

What's your opinions?
Well do you mean modern or urban?? The two are most definitely not synonymous, and sometimes may even be opposite.

When I think of a MODERN city, I usually think of a city that is not as old, where a lot of the buildings, infrastructure, housing stock is of a more recent vintage. Typically more historic cities are the ones more "urban"

Example: I could see one making an argument that San Francisco is more "urban" than LA maybe (I still might disagree) however LA is more modern than San Franisco in terms of the actual fabric and built environment goes, as San Francisco is old and historic.

In the midwest, Chicago is easily more "urban" than Minneapolis, however, Minneapolis feels and is more modern in terms of its built environment.

Same goes for New Orleans versus Houston. Houston being more modern, New Orleans being more urban.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,981,376 times
I think the Phoenix area is very modern. The infrastructure and overall look of the metro area is very modern looking and fresh. However it's not urban like Chicago or Philly.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Well do you mean modern or urban?? The two are most definitely not synonymous, and sometimes may even be opposite.

When I think of a MODERN city, I usually think of a city that is not as old, where a lot of the buildings, infrastructure, housing stock is of a more recent vintage. Typically more historic cities are the ones more "urban"

Example: I could see one making an argument that San Francisco is more "urban" than LA maybe (I still might disagree) however LA is more modern than San Franisco in terms of the actual fabric and built environment goes, as San Francisco is old and historic.

In the midwest, Chicago is easily more "urban" than Minneapolis, however, Minneapolis feels and is more modern in terms of its built environment.

Same goes for New Orleans versus Houston. Houston being more modern, New Orleans being more urban.
The dash mark in between the two wasn't giving them any relevance at all. It was simply an "or" indication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City