Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,463,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
The Dallas/Ft.Worth are will beat Chicago as a larger Metro area, But Houston will beat Chicago, but only in population. Certainly not culturally, or anything that really matters.
Somehow Chicago is now the it place in this country. Just watch HGTV and see how they stage or redecorate a condo or a single-family in Chicago. It's the most popular place to move to. Houston's also getting very popular, in second place. DFW is slipping behind Chicago and Houston. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Somehow Chicago is now the it place in this country. Just watch HGTV and see how they stage or redecorate a condo or a single-family in Chicago. It's the most popular place to move to. Houston's also getting very popular, in second place. DFW is slipping behind Chicago and Houston. Sad.
Its not the most popular place to move to, thank goodness, we already have more than enough people here. PHX, LV, etc, are growing faster. Chicago's suburbs are growing much faster than Chicago.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:17 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,463,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not the most popular place to move to, thank goodness, we already have more than enough people here. PHX, LV, etc, are growing faster. Chicago's suburbs are growing much faster than Chicago.
I meant Chicagoland. Sorry about the confusion.

Quote:
massive and nasty dust storms
I don't want the paint on my car to be sandblasted off or my air intakes to be full of sand.

Last edited by KerrTown; 11-01-2007 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: dust storms

Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 PM

395 posts, read 1,376,338 times
I don't think it's close to fair in comparing the two cities. Chicago is extremely urban feeling and has a substantial amount of people living in and/or close to downtown.

Houston feels much like a giant suburb, and the city limit is HUGE. Chicago will always be the second city even though Houston's "city" population might overtake Chicago's. Completely different type of city. The only city to compare with Chicago is NYC, hand's down.

So to answer your question...maybe, but who cares? No other city in the history of the US will ever compare to Chicago besides NYC.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,421,766 times
Chicago will not always be the second city. That is Los Angeles.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 PM

395 posts, read 1,376,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Chicago will not always be the second city. That is Los Angeles.
In population yes, of course LA is the "second city", but honestly, how "city-like" is LA??? It's practically a giant suburb with huge sprawl, and you can't deny it. Chicago is truly the second CITY -- shear amount skyscrapers and high rises and fast paced city life. LA cannot compare despite having more people.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
In population yes, of course LA is the "second city", but honestly, how "city-like" is LA??? It's practically a giant suburb with huge sprawl, and you can't deny it. Chicago is truly the second CITY -- shear amount skyscrapers and high rises and fast paced city life. LA cannot compare despite having more people.
Well said.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:19 PM

LA is denser than Chicago I believe, and it isn't one giant suburb. I would rather live in a Chicago-type environment though. With the lakefront and stuff, but LA isn't too shabby either.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:00 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,014,381 times
Quote:
PHX has a more diverse economy than Houston? HA!! Sure it also has a lower natural disaster risk, but PHX also has the worst weather in the USA, massive and nasty dust storms and destructive winds from monsoons and devastating fires. And PHXs crime rate, while lower than Houstons, is far from being good. Crime is out of control in many areas of PHX, so in that aspect its no different than Houston. Not too long ago PHX was also the car theft capital of the nation. As for skinnier people? Are you kidding me? Im down in Scottsdale several times a year, and it never fails to amaze me how many plumpers live there, especially in a ritzy place like Scottsdale. And if anyone is skinny down there, its because all you do is sweat down there, while that horrible sun sucks the moisture right out of you. Give it a rest, Houston is FAR more diverse and powerful than Phoenix ever will be. And you know that, so why argue?
Yeah, 40 percent of Phoenix's economy is not based on a particular industry unlike Houston. Just becuase Houston is home to shiny new skyscrapers does not negate the fact that it's economy is based on oil. If the oil industry collapse, Houston would collapse as well. End of story.

Phoenix does not have the worst weather in the world. It's 80 degrees and sunny today, and will likely be so until March. Just absolutely horrendous. . It's a wonder that people are moving to Phoenix left and right to enjoy our "horrendous climate." Lets not talk about Houston, where it's not only hot, but as humid as a jungle for months and months. Lets not talk about the hurricane threat for months and months. Lets not talk about those freakish rainstorms where 8 inches of rain falls in a day.

I am not even going to go into Chicago's climate. It's funny that Chicagolanders are moving to Phoenix in droves. But Phoenicians aren't moving to Chicago in droves.

Houston was noted as having the highest percentage of obese people in the country. Chicago was not far behind. In 2006, Chicago was ranked as having the highest percentage of obese people in this country. You have obviously never been to Scottsdale if you think Scottsdale has a greater number of obese people than anywhere you've been. Get a clue.

Of course the sun sucks the moisture out of you. It's a desert. . I'd rather be dry than to live in the jungle-like humidity that is Houston or Chicago.

You are obviously delusional. No one cares about Houston. How many movies has Houston's skyline been featured in? Not too many. For such an nationally important place, it sure isn't talked about much.

Houston will always live in Dallas' shadow. Whenever I tell people that Houston is the 4th most populous city in the U.S., I always get a look of sheer shock.

Houston is home to an estimated 400,000 illegal immigrants. Additionally, 150,000 New Orleans residents relocated to Houston. Your population numbers show nothing about your city's prominence.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Yeah, 40 percent of Phoenix's economy is not based on a particular industry unlike Houston. Just becuase Houston is home to shiny new skyscrapers does not negate the fact that it's economy is based on oil. If the oil industry collapse, Houston would collapse as well. End of story.
End of story for miamiman, but for everyone else...nope! Houston would still be moving along just fine.

Quote:
Phoenix does not have the worst weather in the world. It's 80 degrees and sunny today, and will likely be so until March. Just absolutely horrendous. . It's a wonder that people are moving to Phoenix left and right to enjoy our "horrendous climate." Lets not talk about Houston, where it's not only hot, but as humid as a jungle for months and months. Lets not talk about the hurricane threat for months and months. Lets not talk about those freakish rainstorms where 8 inches of rain falls in a day.
There have been hurricane threats, but the last one to hit houston was in 1984. Tropical Storm Allison was bad, but Houston did fine itself without much state, or even national help.

Quote:
I am not even going to go into Chicago's climate. It's funny that Chicagolanders are moving to Phoenix in droves. But Phoenicians aren't moving to Chicago in droves.
You act like Chicago's metro is declining in population.

Quote:
Houston was noted as having the highest percentage of obese people in the country. Chicago was not far behind. In 2006, Chicago was ranked as having the highest percentage of obese people in this country. You have obviously never been to Scottsdale if you think Scottsdale has a greater number of obese people than anywhere you've been. Get a clue.
Yeah, by some crappy survey a few years ago. Houston is actually one of the most fit cities in the U.S. if you look at the average BMI among its citizens, instead of something like "this many restaurants and fitness centers per square mile". That is a dumb way to rank a city.

Quote:
Of course the sun sucks the moisture out of you. It's a desert. . I'd rather be dry than to live in the jungle-like humidity that is Houston or Chicago.
Humidity is good for your skin.

Quote:
You are obviously delusional. No one cares about Houston. How many movies has Houston's skyline been featured in? Not too many. For such an nationally important place, it sure isn't talked about much.
How many have had Phoenix in it? The only reason why Phoenix would ever be set in a movie is because Hollywood isn't too far away in Los Angeles. Houston has had plenty of movies set in it, or Houston has been used to replicate a city.

Quote:
Houston will always live in Dallas' shadow. Whenever I tell people that Houston is the 4th most populous city in the U.S., I always get a look of sheer shock.
Almost like Phoenix living in Tuscon's shadow. Get real. Houston has never, ever been in Dallas' shadow (and vice versa). And really, how many times a day do you go around saying Houston is the fourth most populous city in the U.S.? I don't even say that. I didn't even know that about Houston until I was in the fifth grade, and I had the same look on my face.

Quote:
Houston is home to an estimated 400,000 illegal immigrants. Additionally, 150,000 New Orleans residents relocated to Houston. Your population numbers show nothing about your city's prominence.
And you think Phoenix (and Arizona quite frankly) doesn't have its fair share of illegal immigrants? You say Houston's population numbers show nothing about the city's prominence, yet you go around putting Phoenix's numbers up like we should all be amazed, when in fact Phoenix's growth has been match by many other cities AND other metro areas have had no problem growing faster than it (including Houston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City