Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:36 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,114,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I hate to bring this up, but what metro stands to gain the most from a Houston exodus in the near term?
Dallas, obviously. It's only 4 hours away, it's in Texas, and is the most similar city to Houston that's in Houston's tier. Also, Dallas has already gotten the bulk of the Harvey evacuees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,105,074 times
New Orleans was and is a poor city...Katrina was simply an opportunity for people who had been thinking about moving to finally do it for economic reasons...Houston is booming...people are moving to Houston not moving from it...there may be a slowdown but a mass exodus? Not gonna happen

Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,903,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
New Orleans was and is a poor city...Katrina was simply an opportunity for people who had been thinking about moving to finally do it for economic reasons...Houston is booming...people are moving to Houston not moving from it...there may be a slowdown but a mass exodus? Not gonna happen
Not a mass exodus, but not a lot of people choosing to move there, either. Unless someone is being transferred, I'm not sure Houston would be their choice. Not until they tackle this issue.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 AM

37,268 posts, read 39,566,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not a mass exodus, but not a lot of people choosing to move there, either. Unless someone is being transferred, I'm not sure Houston would be their choice. Not until they tackle this issue.
Well, I think it's unlikely the city will ignore the issue. Three major flood events in increasing intensity every year for the last three years is likely to prompt some pretty serious push towards zoning development in a way that mitigates these effects. Houston is an important component in the US economy and it would be ridiculous to not redevelop with stronger precautions.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:25 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,903,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, I think it's unlikely the city will ignore the issue. Three major flood events in increasing intensity every year for the last three years is likely to prompt some pretty serious push towards zoning development in a way that mitigates these effects. Houston is an important component in the US economy and it would be ridiculous to not redevelop with stronger precautions.
Yes, it would be. I think they've been aware they have a problem, though, and have just opted for growth, rather than smart growth. They have no choice, but to make a change.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,888,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
While I agree with you, the US should also halt further use of risky loan and investment instruments in the financial industry, and housing bubbles should be avoided by letting interest rates rise to reasonable levels while holding banks accountable for offering loans to unqualified buyers.

I do think some work will be done in Houston to follow what you're saying. The problem with America is that it's quick to forget its lessons. And the use of cheap credit creates housing frenzies, which are also driven by low interest rates and available credit (not just by available jobs). And each transaction is good for politicians in the relevant municipality. So many things are setup in the wrong order to encourage bad decisions.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,854,491 times
Houston will recover. I would recommend flood pumps to get the water out the city, the Bayous need to be widened significantly, and Houston flood plains need be restored. Houston will always be susceptible to flooding but the extent to which it floods can be alleviated.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,372,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
No it wasn't. You don't know anyone from New Orleans obviously, they all want to come back but they likely can't afford it.

Houston will be fine, hopefully this triggers smart growth policies.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No it wasn't. You don't know anyone from New Orleans obviously, they all want to come back but they likely can't afford it.

Houston will be fine, hopefully this triggers smart growth policies.
Are you saying that New Orleans wasn't a poor city comparatively when Katrina hit?

With the unique culture of the place, I am sure many would like to return after finding out the grass isn't always greener and that NO feel can't be replicated anywhere else.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Too soon to tell...the disaster is still ongoing ...give it a few months...will agree that people moving to Houston will probably start asking how flood prone their neighborhood of choice is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City