Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,271 times

Advertisements

Houston is the only city with regularly schedule point-to-point commercial airline service, within the city limits (Ellington to IAH), so although I don't know what the definition of "Chicagoland" is, the literal City of Houston, as defined by the area within the city limits, (not counting the 'burbs where I live) is HUGE. I'm skeptical of census data (let's face it, if you don't have documentation, there is no good reason to answer the census questions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogers View Post
Houston was the only city with regularly schedule point-to-point commercial airline service, within the city limits (Ellington to IAH), so although I don't know what the definition of "Chicagoland" is, the literal City of Houston, as defined by the area within the city limits, (not counting the 'burbs where I live) is HUGE. I'm skeptical of census data (let's face it, if you don't have documentation, there is no good reason to answer the census questions).
Corrected it for you.

"Ellington Field once had scheduled commercial air service: Continental Express flights between Ellington Field and George Bush Intercontinental Airport in north Houston ended in 2004." Source: Ellington Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM

28 posts, read 68,965 times
Default Houston and Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
There's no way Houston will surpass Chicago in 10/20 years.

Two things have to happen:
1) They need a high density mass transit system. This involves subways (not light rail) and an upgraded freeway system.
2) People will have to change their habbits of getting to work. ie start taking the train/walk/bike/ride the bus to work.

These things did not happen in 10-20 years. Chicago has been growing for 200 years.
To use Chicago as an example of how growth happens.. Chicago has the world record as the fastest human growth of a city in the world. It went from a city of 290,000 to 1.7 million from 1870 to 1890. Keep in mind the 1870 census was BEFORE the Great Fire. It has grown very slow since. As far as not having one thing or another ready for growth... When the people move to your city... you deal with it and have growing pains. It does take about 10 years to react on a projection of population now, so if the prediction is wrong, you must act faster. Houston is growing at a much faster rate than Chicago. Will they pass up Chicago in 20 years? Maybe in city population, but not metro. That may take a bit longer, but I believe it will happen in my lifetime ( I am 46). When the common people began to have air conditioning in the early 50's Houston's growth has never slowed down. You will never leave your house and have to shovel snow for 2 hours just to go to work or to get a parking place here in H-town.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,318 times
this is an old thread, i posted a few things in this months ago! and i still think that Houston has a chance of passing Chicago

Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
this is an old thread, i posted a few things in this months ago! and i still think that Houston has a chance of passing Chicago
This thread is older than dirt. I'll digress, and say that Chicago is the next big thing waiting to happen. It might surpass New York by 2050. What will cause this? AlGore (who's full of crap), turns out to be right. Global warming grips the nation. Chicago is the new Sunbelt hotspot. In addition to that, the New Madrid fault will have an earthquake with a magnitude of 20, causing the prairie to rise up into lofty 15k foot snow-capped mountains. Aurora will be the new Aspen. Robert Redford will move the Sundance Film Festival to Nauvoo. People won't even remember the Rockies. Houston will be a podunk ghost town for tourists to admire, and have their picture taken in store fronts in period clothing.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-26-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
This thread is older than dirt. I'll digress, and say that Chicago is the next big thing waiting to happen. It might surpass New York by 2050. What will cause this? AlGore (who's full of crap), turns out to be right. Global warming grips the nation. Chicago is the new Sunbelt hotspot. In addition to that, the New Madrid fault will have an earthquake with a magnitude of 20, causing the prairie to rise up into lofty 15k foot snow-capped mountains. Aurora will be the new Aspen. Robert Redford will move the Sundance Film Festival to Nauvoo. People won't even remember the Rockies. Houston will be a podunk ghost town for tourists to admire, and have their picture taken in store fronts in period clothing.

I have to admit, this is freaking hilarious!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 03:33 PM

71 posts, read 195,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
The only thing 'wrong' with Chicago is that it's too damn cold and windy in the winter and it's landlocked. Other than that, it's self made and has everything going for it. If the numbers stabilize over the years, those should be the reasons for it. Big oil won't be around forever, though...
I believe that if it weren't for the harsh winters Chicago would be a close second to NYC!
i agree that Chicago is a much better looking city than Houston

Old 07-13-2008, 03:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Aurora will be the new Aspen.
No, Aurora, IL will end up looking like Aurora, CO instead.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEI View Post
I believe that if it weren't for the harsh winters Chicago would be a close second to NYC!
i agree that Chicago is a much better looking city than Houston
Obviously coming from a Chicagoan! Have you been to Houston?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:42 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:

I don't believe Chicago will ever become a Sun Belt city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City