Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,689,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
IMPORTANCE IMPORTANCE! I'm talking about importance, nothing else. I don't have to go to a city to tell if it is important or not.
Okay, then Houston is not as important as L.A. or Chicago. Define your terms. What does "importance" mean, if not the things Spade and AK123 outlined in their posts??

Oh, and I just noticed your last sentence. That says it all right there. I was fairly certain you were one of these small town Texans who's never been much of anywhere, yet is dead-set in your convictions that TEXAS IS THE GREATEST, when in reality you have no basis of comparison. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, and reinforcing the stereotypes. Waco just called. It wants you back.

Last edited by houstoner; 12-02-2008 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,234,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Okay, then Houston is not as important as L.A. or Chicago. Define your terms. What does "importance" mean, if not the things Spade and AK123 outlined in their posts??

Oh, and I just noticed your last sentence. That says it all right there. I was fairly certain you were one of these small town Texans who's never been much of anywhere, yet is dead-set in your convictions that TEXAS IS THE GREATEST, when in reality you have no basis of comparison. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, and reinforcing the stereotypes. Waco just called. It wants you back.
So I can't think Texas is the greatest??? You guys need to face the facts that their are millions of people out their who don't think the same as you. You will hear people say Houston is more important than Chicago, Houston is better than NYC, or Houston is more diverse than Chicago. I don't think these things, but I respect their opinions. I have a right to love my state and city I live in. I've been visiting Houston ever since I was young and now live here. You reinforce stereotypes when none are being shown. I never once came out and said anything that was far-fetched. Many people would argue with you and say Houston is as important as LA. The difference between me and you and Spade is. I LOVE Texas and LOVE Houston. You guys just happen to LIKE it. Of course I'm going to speak more positive about my city and defend it if needed. You guys constantly belittle Houston and make as if it is an ordinary unimportant city.

Hurry up and move north because your starting to sound as ignorant as them. <---Now I'm reinforcing a stereotype

Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,150,397 times
Quote:
So I can't think Texas is the greatest??? You guys need to face the facts that their are millions of people out their who don't think the same as you. You will hear people say Houston is more important than Chicago, Houston is better than NYC, or Houston is more diverse than Chicago. I don't think these things, but I respect their opinions. I have a right to love my state and city I live in. I've been visiting Houston ever since I was young and now live here. You reinforce stereotypes when none are being shown. I never once came out and said anything that was far-fetched. Many people would argue with you and say Houston is as important as LA. The difference between me and you and Spade is. I LOVE Texas and LOVE Houston. You guys just happen to LIKE it. Of course I'm going to speak more positive about my city and defend it if needed. You guys constantly belittle Houston and make as if it is an ordinary unimportant city.

Hurry up and move north because your starting to sound as ignorant as them. <---Now I'm reinforcing a stereotype
Oh boy...Can I ask why? I mean trust me, as a native Houstonian, I love me some Houston too, but there are just some people who oversell Houston, which usually has a negative effect as opposed to positive one. I think that's all people are trying to say.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Oh boy...Can I ask why? I mean trust me, as a native Houstonian, I love me some Houston too, but there are just some people who oversell Houston, which usually has a negative effect as opposed to positive one. I think that's all people are trying to say.
Why what?? Why I feel it is important? Because it is.....Houston has OIL,NASA,and Medicine. Soon technology. enough said.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times
Quote:

You can think what you want. Doesn't mean it's true. In this case, you think Houston is on the same level as Chicago and LA, when in actuality, it isn't yet.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
You can think what you want. Doesn't mean it's true. In this case, you think Houston is on the same level as Chicago and LA, when in actuality, it isn't yet.
Sorry but you or no one else has the right to determine if anyones OPINION is true or false.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:16 PM

572 posts, read 1,996,725 times
Sorry to chime in jluke but while Houston is an important city, it is not in the same league as NYC, LA or Chicago.
Yes Houston has NASA, a great medical school and many oil service companies are represented there but the other cities have businesses, law firms, museums, financial services, commerce, tourist sites and overall world recognition that Houston lacks on the same level. In addition to larger populations.
This doesn't mean the other cities are a better place to live or grow. One's opinions are not always true.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:05 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,964,459 times
^^Houston has a bunch of businesses, an entire museum district (with more museums scattered around), a growing tourist industry (especially come 2012), etc. Your overall point taken though.

Quote:
Sorry but you or no one else has the right to determine if anyones OPINION is true or false.
But you're acting like your opinion is the truth, when it isn't. We have pulled all of the FACTS and STATISTICS to refute your claims, but you continue to just type stuff out of the wazoo.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM

668 posts, read 2,359,744 times
And Houston has big, ugly skyline. So there!

Sorry Chicago, I didn't mean to bring you down to Houston's level, but that's how they wanna play.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
^^Houston has a bunch of businesses, an entire museum district (with more museums scattered around), a growing tourist industry (especially come 2012), etc. Your overall point taken though.

But you're acting like your opinion is the truth, when it isn't. We have pulled all of the FACTS and STATISTICS to refute your claims, but you continue to just type stuff out of the wazoo.
MY opinion was Texas is the greatest state ever. Houston is arguably on the same level as LA and CHI when it comes to important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City