Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,011,237 times

Advertisements

Florida also has a lot more major cities than New York state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 AM

37,190 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Would cheaper, faster, and more extensive rail service from NYC to the rest of the state make upstate more attractive?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Well Upstate NY sucks so I can see why Florida is getting an increase.
Slow down.... It isn't that bad. Have you ever been there?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Would cheaper, faster, and more extensive rail service from NYC to the rest of the state make upstate more attractive?
It depends on what you are looking for. Upstate NY has a lot of outdoor options, history and the cities/areas still have a lot/enough to offer. I sometimes wonder if people really know what is up here versus being told by the media or from hearsay.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Florida is a larger state with a low cost of living and a weather some people especially the elderly prefer. It's amazing how it's grown over the last several decades.

It's a misperception that all of upstate is going towards population loss. Buffalo MSA and some smaller ones have posted losses, but generally not huge ones while Rochester MSA and some smaller ons have posted gains. Both the losses and gains are pretty minor though. What's more accurate is that the population of New York outside of NYC has more or less plateaud--not that it's overall going on a particular massive decline.
This is more accurate in terms of a variation in terms of population gains and losses in Upstate NY. Some metro grew and some lost a little bit between 2000-2010. Estimates overestimated losses in population up here in many, if not most cases.

Also, people use the if NYC wasn't there argument, as the Miami area is also a gateway for immigrants and retirement fuels a lot of Florida's growth.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:44 AM

399 posts, read 883,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Slow down.... It isn't that bad. Have you ever been there?

I'm um, from there. (here)

Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Absolutely, and I know first hand how often people my age (20s) go from Upstate to NYC.

The cultural divide between the two is there, but its much more apparent in older generations.

My generation is more mobile and socially connected, so when we went to college, we made friends with people from all over the state, the majority of which being from downstate (city, LI).

Its much much easier to stay in contact with people now, and there is more mobility than ever. I know people Upstate that go to the city probably once or twice a month, every month.

The vast majority of my friends actually that are from where I live are either still in my hometown, or NYC. Id say Boston comes as a close second.

NYC is a massive massive draw for young people Upstate, no question. Basically everyone comes Upstate to get a degree and then heads back down for a job, or just leaves the state entirely.

We all are dying for some sort of high speed rail to NYC from Upstate, or at least expanding the Metro North. NJ Transit and LIRR go further I believe, but to answer your question, simply yes.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It depends on what you are looking for. Upstate NY has a lot of outdoor options, history and the cities/areas still have a lot/enough to offer. I sometimes wonder if people really know what is up here versus being told by the media or from hearsay.

Theres a lot of transplants from downstate up here who just came for cheaper COL but still looking for the benefit of Upstate.

However, it may be one of the most depressing places to live in the entire country. The lack of jobs and awful weather alone. Then you have the higher COL to most other states even though its Upstate, its still NY.

You can see why people are leaving in droves.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Theres a lot of transplants from downstate up here who just came for cheaper COL but still looking for the benefit of Upstate.

However, it may be one of the most depressing places to live in the entire country. The lack of jobs and awful weather alone. Then you have the higher COL to most other states even though its Upstate, its still NY.

You can see why people are leaving in droves.
Upstate's overall cost of living is on par with much of the South, if not lower in some cases. So, it depends in that regard, as well as on the job front. Nowadays, jobs will depend on personal factors matching up with whatever is available anywhere.

Also, people leaving in droves is an exaggeration, as some areas have added population and some have lost in that regard. Either way, it hasn't been huge though.

What part of Upstate are you from?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,598,569 times
Quote:
Upstate's overall cost of living is on par with much of the South, if not lower in some cases. So, it depends in that regard, as well as on the job front. Nowadays, jobs will depend on personal factors matching up with whatever is available anywhere.

Also, people leaving in droves is an exaggeration, as some areas have added population and some have lost in that regard. Either way, it hasn't been huge though.

What part of Upstate are you from?
Pretty sure "Chicagoorseattle" actually lives in the Hudson Vally; not an area I'd really consider Upstate NY but whatever.

FL will probably pass NY in population soon; who cares? I'd much rather live in Upstate NY than anywhere in Florida. This might change when i'm in my 70s but for now as an active adult with kids and family; FL is one of the last places I'd want to live.

As to the notion than young professionals are making up the majority of new resident's in FL? Doubtful. That would require jobs and economy that wasn't based almost exclusively on tourism and services. Young college educated child-bearing age people are fleeing FL at at a rate similar to that of NY state if not higher; and are largely settling Atlanta, NC, DC area, and PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City