Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,989,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
I don't hink baltimore grew that much in 10 years. considering the census says it lost people.
I meant to say Downtown Baltimore has grown by %130...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 PM

342 posts, read 571,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I meant to say Downtown Baltimore has grown by %130...sorry.
Oh, I have no doubt Baltimore will eventually grow again, but it will probably be the fifth largest city in the northeast. It'll probably be around 630,000 in 2020 but boston will most likely be around 645 and dc at 650. That's just what I think.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Oh, I have no doubt Baltimore will eventually grow again, but it will probably be the fifth largest city in the northeast. It'll probably be around 630,000 in 2020 but boston will most likely be around 645 and dc at 650. That's just what I think.
I think DC will be much closer to 700,000 by 2020. There are just too many units in the pipeline. One major factor people are forgetting to consider is new housing unit gain. D.C. is building and has an insane amount of Class A highrises being built and in the pipeline. That is how you grow your city. You have to build enough new housing. Baltimore will not be able to rehab their blighted housing anywhere close to the massive highrise constructions taking place in D.C. proper. We have close to 12,000 units delivering a year currently. That is hard to compete with. Even when this number of new units slows down later in the decade, the units under construction now already puts the city above 650,000 without new inventory.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 11-22-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think DC will be much closer to 700,000 by 2020. There are just too many units in the pipeline. One major factor people are forgetting to consider is new housing unit gain. D.C. is building and has an insane amount of Class A highrises being built and in the pipeline. That is how you grow your city.
Well I was making conservative estimates. 650 is the least that boston and DC will have but they will both be closer to 700,000. Boston has alot going up now too. The entire seaport district alot of highrises and some residential skyscrapers too. whcih dc doesn't have.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Well I was making conservative estimates. 650 is the least that boston and DC will have but they will both be closer to 700,000. Boston has alot going up now too. The entire seaport district alot of highrises and some residential skyscrapers too. whcih dc doesn't have.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know this and that is understandable because you probably don't follow development, but Boston doesn't have half the units being built in D.C. proper. Infact, no city can draw a 61 square footprint and have anywhere near the amount of units delivering as D.C. D.C. has over 20,000 units delivering over the next two year's in the city alone. It's really not even close. Here is a website that will help you to understand the difference in development.

http://dc.urbanturf.com/pipeline/

Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't know this and that is understandable because you probably don't follow development, but Boston doesn't have half the units being built in D.C. proper. Infact, almost no city in the nation does by shear numbers and absolutely no city comes close in intensity. D.C. has over 20,000 units delivering over the next two year's in the city alone. It's really not even close.
I was trying to get across that boston is growing also not as fast as DC but still growing. Boston might see 20,000 new homes total in the next 10 years.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I was trying to get across that boston is growing also not as fast as DC but still growing. Boston might see 20,000 new homes total in the next 10 years.

Boston is growing. I wasn't trying to imply that it was not. It's just apples and oranges to even try to compare what is happening in D.C. to anything in Boston or almost any city for that matter. Honestly though, D.C. is playing catch up to Boston. D.C. doesn't have anywhere near the density of Boston. Boston has already arrived back to where it was before crack ravaged our cities much like NYC has. D.C. is just going through that transition now. D.C. is bigger than Boston so obviously it will grow more than Boston will because it has more land. Boston got rid of it's crime problem a long time ago, D.C. is just getting there now. It's great to see cities return to their former glory.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Boston is growing. I wasn't trying to imply that it was not. It's just apples and oranges to even try to compare what is happening in D.C. to anything in Boston or almost any city for that matter. Honestly though, D.C. is playing catch up to Boston. D.C. doesn't have anywhere near the density of Boston. Boston has already arrived back to where it was before crack ravaged our cities much like NYC has. D.C. is just going through that transition now. D.C. is bigger than Boston so obviously it will grow more than Boston will because it has more land. Boston got rid of it's crime problem a long time ago, D.C. is just getting there now. It's great to see cities return to their former glory.
Yes it is. Next up on the list Baltimore, Detroit, and Cleveland.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
The Estimates are for December 1st 2012? that is insane, that's 8 days in the future

Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,855,956 times
Where is this housing shortage in DC the OP mentioned? That is bull. There are plenty of units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City