Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best climate/weather?
San Diego, CA 39 57.35%
Honolulu, HI 23 33.82%
Miami, FL 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Those warm-sticky places make for GREAT winters. Florida's winters are on par with Coastal CA summers. Especially because Winter is the dry-season in South Florida. No clouds, eternal sun, no depressing heat.
I agree. At the same time, the extremity of FL summer is sumpin else. My idea of a pleasant summer doesn't include caked Gold Bond powder in my shorts and recirculted air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
The absolute highest dew point recorded in the region and therefore the world (of which I am aware) was 95° at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia at 3 p.m. on July 8, 2003. The dry bulb temperature stood at 108° at the time, so theoretically the heat index was 176°. Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) apparently once recorded a dew point of 93.2° (date unknown) according to ‘Weather Climate Extremes’ Army Corps of Engineers TEC-0099 report.

You should like Dharan ,Saudi Arabia,176 degree heat index!!I went to the gym yesterday and that was the temperature in the sauna.
Whoa, 176 degrees Fahrenheit is pushing it. I'm just talking about Miami, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Singapore, Mumbai, Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Dubai, Hong Kong, & Phoenix climate. Hot, very hot but not that out of this world- extreme.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieExtraordinaire View Post
When I lived in MIA I hardly ran AC, and then only during the day (I'd let the windows open at night). I live in Houston now, same story. I save money by not running AC, + I hate it. I like fresh air and the air conditioning dries out my skin.
Yeah, the humidity helps with some people's skin. When my cousin moved to CA(Los Angeles, now she lives in the Bay Area with her husband and kid) from South Florida, she said the chief complaint at 1st was how dry the air was compared to Florida's humidity. She said it made her skin dry compared to the usual FLA weather, but after living in CA for a couple of months, she got used to it, her skin's alright, and she loves the weather.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
May-September in Miami is pretty terrible in my opinion. Too hot, too humid, too rainy/stormy with the chance of hurricanes. No thanks.

I voted San Diego, but Honolulu's weather is very underrated. It's not equivalent to Miami AT ALL. Less humidity and less heat than Miami, and it has the most consistent weather of the three. I like a little variation, but if you like consistency, Honolulu is the way to go.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
I will say this though, although Miami doesn't have 4-seasons, it does get killed by cold fronts. And there is PLENTY of leave fall because of the seasonal trees that are planted along side the palms. It's not unusual to see leaves all over the ground right next to coconut palms. We used to rake leaves as a kid living in SoFla and create that cliche pile of leaves to jump in, just like kids up North do in the fall. I'm sure the same thing happens in SoCal, as I've seen pics of orange leaves falling, and seasonal trees in Los Angeles in the fall.
But can you get snow in Miami, compared to the mountains of California? No.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
San Diego has colder average temperatures than Miami during the coldest months of the year,48-51 degrees,while Miami is at 61-64.I know the reason for that is that in January for example Miami can hit 80 degrees while San Diego has zero chance to hit 80.At the same time Miami 3-4 times a year during those cold months can drop into the 30's while San Diego's temperatures stays more consistent maybe not dropping that low too frequently.With that said I consider San Diego a colder city than Miami,obviously in the summer but given how infrequently Miami gets that low in the winters and the lows in San Diego are more consistent and not all that much higher than those rare really cold Miami lows,it's obvious San Diego has more pleasant weather than this sauna called Miami,OK maybe not a year round sauna but at least close to 8 months of the year.
That isn't true at all, San Diego can easily hit 80 in January and it's record high for that month is 88. It will have a warm spell that will push the temp to 80 at least once during the month of Jan every year.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I think Honolulu has the best out of these three for me. It's warmer and has better beach weather than SD but it's as hot and humid as Miami and is the warmest of all 3 in winter.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
I will say this though, although Miami doesn't have 4-seasons, it does get killed by cold fronts. And there is PLENTY of leave fall because of the seasonal trees that are planted along side the palms. It's not unusual to see leaves all over the ground right next to coconut palms. We used to rake leaves as a kid living in SoFla and create that cliche pile of leaves to jump in, just like kids up North do in the fall. I'm sure the same thing happens in SoCal, as I've seen pics of orange leaves falling, and seasonal trees in Los Angeles in the fall.
You're right. The leaves of plum blossoms and sycamores, among others, do fall in SoCal. Near my house there are some nicely fall-colored trees where the leaves are yellow.

Also wanted to point out to someone else that Hawaii also has mountains to go to for snow and cool weather. Sadly, mountains in CA don't have as much snow as they used to.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think Honolulu has the best out of these three for me. It's warmer and has better beach weather than SD but it's as hot and humid as Miami and is the warmest of all 3 in winter.
I believe Miami is more humid and slightly hotter in summer than Honolulu. But I agree with you

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I believe Miami is more humid and slightly hotter in summer than Honolulu. But I agree with you
One reason I didn't chose Miami. Too humid for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City