U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 PM
 
241 posts, read 433,582 times
Reputation: 131

Advertisements

I'm a college student looking to move to one of these cities after graduation. I have friends and family in NYC, so that will weigh into my decision quite a bit, but considering I have lived the suburban life since I was very young, I thought maybe Chicago may be a less overwhelming option. I'm certainly looking for a change to a city environment, and to be honest, I think either will provide me the change that I'm looking for. Some people say Chicago cant compare as far as things to do with NYC, but for someone coming from living in Florida all their life, anything will be a huge step up.

As a recent grad I'll have some concerns regarding the COL. I'll only be making about $55k/year no matter where I live. The job I'm expecting doesn't adjust more than a thousand or so no matter where an individual lives. From what I've read and seen on various calculators, NYC is much more expensive than Chicago. One from CNN equated $50,000 in Chicago to $79,000 in Brooklyn, and $95,000 in Manhattan. Is Chicago really this much cheaper? I would pay a little bit of a premium to be around friends and family, and to be within distance to my sports teams, but if the difference is that great it would be illogical for me to do so.

One more thing, I've also heard that people are much friendlier in Chicago, from people looking to be friends to approachability of women to date. I've been told it has to do partially with the fact that Chicago is a little slower of a city. I know this is obviously a very subjective thing, but anyone who's lived in both cities for any time can probably comment on it.

Any input is welcome guys.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 5,282,323 times
Reputation: 850
nyc is overrated and eryth within 2 hrs of it is hella overpriced and not worth the cost, eryth is more expensive, not jus housing, economy is bad in both, but at least chi is like 40% cheaper so easier to get by when times get tough, esp being a new college grad
dont kno bout friendliness personally or how easy the women are, but everyone i talked to (not just online) told me chi is more easy going, since its the midwest, i can tell u tho that there is not much friendliness in NE, esp NYC
id go to chi if i was u

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 11-25-2012 at 11:09 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 AM
 
Location: In the heights
31,414 posts, read 30,168,584 times
Reputation: 16758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
I'm a college student looking to move to one of these cities after graduation. I have friends and family in NYC, so that will weigh into my decision quite a bit, but considering I have lived the suburban life since I was very young, I thought maybe Chicago may be a less overwhelming option. I'm certainly looking for a change to a city environment, and to be honest, I think either will provide me the change that I'm looking for. Some people say Chicago cant compare as far as things to do with NYC, but for someone coming from living in Florida all their life, anything will be a huge step up.

As a recent grad I'll have some concerns regarding the COL. I'll only be making about $55k/year no matter where I live. The job I'm expecting doesn't adjust more than a thousand or so no matter where an individual lives. From what I've read and seen on various calculators, NYC is much more expensive than Chicago. One from CNN equated $50,000 in Chicago to $79,000 in Brooklyn, and $95,000 in Manhattan. Is Chicago really this much cheaper? I would pay a little bit of a premium to be around friends and family, and to be within distance to my sports teams, but if the difference is that great it would be illogical for me to do so.

One more thing, I've also heard that people are much friendlier in Chicago, from people looking to be friends to approachability of women to date. I've been told it has to do partially with the fact that Chicago is a little slower of a city. I know this is obviously a very subjective thing, but anyone who's lived in both cities for any time can probably comment on it.

Any input is welcome guys.
NYC is a lot more expensive. The question I'd have is what room for advancement do you think you'll get for the jobs in the two places. NYC might still be worth it if the job there is more prestigious or has a much faster track towards advancements. If it doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot more rewards for living in NYC and you aren't crazy about having to live in the biggest city in the US, then I'd go with Chicago and just visit NYC with some of the money you'd have saved from not living there.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
 
241 posts, read 433,582 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
NYC is a lot more expensive. The question I'd have is what room for advancement do you think you'll get for the jobs in the two places. NYC might still be worth it if the job there is more prestigious or has a much faster track towards advancements. If it doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot more rewards for living in NYC and you aren't crazy about having to live in the biggest city in the US, then I'd go with Chicago and just visit NYC with some of the money you'd have saved from not living there.
Both jobs would be for the most part identical. Its an international company, they have offices everywhere, and are usually very accommodating with office location selection. Within the company, advancement is pretty structured. As far as exit opps, as long as your in a huge city that is a financial hub, there really shouldnt be much of a difference. Hence, I'm trying to base my decision on how much cheaper Chicago is, and how much friendlier the people may be.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 5,282,323 times
Reputation: 850
its much cheaper bruh, im thinkin bout movin there myself, nyc area is only good if u crave that crazy 24 hr lifestyle and if ur rich, not very livable for an average person tho
Chicago: 90% of NYC at 50% of the price? | Wall Street Oasis
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...go-better.html
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM
 
89 posts, read 163,904 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Both jobs would be for the most part identical. Its an international company, they have offices everywhere, and are usually very accommodating with office location selection. Within the company, advancement is pretty structured. As far as exit opps, as long as your in a huge city that is a financial hub, there really shouldnt be much of a difference. Hence, I'm trying to base my decision on how much cheaper Chicago is, and how much friendlier the people may be.
in that case go to Chicago. Chicago is much much cheaper than NYC. When comparing housing prices in Near North Side, Chicago with Manhattan, it's basically half.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
 
Location: In the heights
31,414 posts, read 30,168,584 times
Reputation: 16758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
Both jobs would be for the most part identical. Its an international company, they have offices everywhere, and are usually very accommodating with office location selection. Within the company, advancement is pretty structured. As far as exit opps, as long as your in a huge city that is a financial hub, there really shouldnt be much of a difference. Hence, I'm trying to base my decision on how much cheaper Chicago is, and how much friendlier the people may be.
If cheaper is what you want, then yea, definitely go with Chicago. Friendly is kind of a neighborhood by neighborhood thing and dependent on how you interact with people, so I'd toss that out. Both are filled with transplants, so you'll probably find it pretty easy to fit in.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 PM
 
241 posts, read 433,582 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
in that case go to Chicago. Chicago is much much cheaper than NYC. When comparing housing prices in Near North Side, Chicago with Manhattan, it's basically half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If cheaper is what you want, then yea, definitely go with Chicago. Friendly is kind of a neighborhood by neighborhood thing and dependent on how you interact with people, so I'd toss that out. Both are filled with transplants, so you'll probably find it pretty easy to fit in.
Yeah, I mean as I said, I'd be willing to cough up a bit more of monthly expenses to go somewhere with family and friends instead of completely starting over, but if all-in COL expenses are going to be almost 40% lower like I'm seeing, it would be very hard to justify.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH USA / formerly Chicago for 20 years
4,016 posts, read 6,514,551 times
Reputation: 2998
On a $55K income, I'd definitely go with Chicago if I were you. In NYC to swing it on that amount, you'd likely have to live in a small place in either a very scary or very remote, inconvenient neighborhood, or else live with roommates. In Chicago, you can have a nice apartment all to yourself in a very good neighborhood on that amount, yet still have enough discretionary income left over to go out and do the town whenever you want. Also keep in mind it's not just the housing that's much more expensive in NYC, it's the income taxes too. In Chicago you'll pay state income tax, but no city income tax.

As for friendliness, the conventional wisdom is that Chicago is friendlier, but I do know people who have lived in both cities who tell me that isn't necessarily the case. Both cities do, however, have lots of transplants, which means there are plenty of people besides yourself who need to make new friends, which should help your situation.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,995 posts, read 29,940,954 times
Reputation: 13061
I would go with NYC for the following reasons.

If you're a college senior, I'm guessing you're only 21 or 22. In all likelihood, you'll be going to grad school/B-school/law school after 2-3 years in the working world. If you're only making $55K, you're not really going to save that much money no matter where you live (unless it's with parents). You'll also have fewer obligations (less loans, no wife and kids, mortgage, etc.). 21-24 is that "sweet spot" age where you can afford to blow the little money you have with little consequence. So I'd say hole it up with some roommates in Manhattan or Brooklyn, do the Big City for at least a year, and blow your salary on drinks and parties. You'll never be 22 again and being 22 in New York City is unlike being 22 anywhere else in the world (save London perhaps).

Leave the pragmatism for your late 20s/early 30s. Blowing money at 23 is not nearly the same thing as blowing money at 33. You're not going to be destitute for the rest of your life because of financial decisions you made in your early 20s. You'll have a long career to earn all of that money back and then some. This is assuming, of course, that you don't have any severe obligations (i.e., unemployed parents dependent on your income, helping with sister's tuition, etc.). Barring that, I would move to New York.

A lot of college grads move to New York on $50-$60K salaries. They stay for a couple of years, have fun, and then apply to grad school. They'll usually get a friend and rent a large 1BR apartment together, set up a partition, and then treat it like their own separate spaces. That may sound weird at first, but a lot of people do it since they're not really home that much anyway.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-27-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top