Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 AM

153 posts, read 416,890 times

Advertisements

I'm a single gay guy in early twenties planning to relocate in a few months. I pretty much narrowed it down to these 4 cities so I'm wondering which would meet the most of my criteria?

I'm basically looking for these things...

-A city that's on the cheap side

-Lots of outdoor opportunities in nature

-Lots of white American guys (I say this because I'm leaving a mostly hispanic city, Miami)

-A city that has lots to do (arts, food, etc.) but isn't overwhelming

-A good job market since I'm trying to change from the job I'd be relocating with

-And if possible somewhere I won't need a car. And if I do need it then somewhere where driving and parking isn't a hassle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,219,544 times
no need to explain...CHICAGO
2. Seattle
3. Minneapolis
4. Denver

Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,746 times
Go with Seattle, it's a beautiful city with an accepting populace. It has everything you're asking for and is very safe, on the downside it's the most expensive of the cities you've listed.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times
I think you'd like Seattle. We have the second highest per capita gay population in the country. But, on the downside as mentioned it is expensive as hell to live here, and you probably do need a car because public transit sucks. And parking is annoying to completely ridiculous here depending on the neighborhood.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Seattle isn't cheap nor does it have a strong economy right now. is anyone willing to answer his question objectively?

I'd go with:
Denver or Minneapolis
Chicago (can be considered "overwhelming", however)
Seattle

I have Seattle last because frankly, money is everything for most people that are not rich. Aside from that, all of the cities mentioned have most/all of what the OP asked for.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,714,200 times
The cheapest on that list would be probably be Minneapolis, Chicago isn't the cheapest of that list but has the jobs and the arts. Denver is a nice city as well and has a lot to offer.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,710,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
I'm a single gay guy in early twenties planning to relocate in a few months. I pretty much narrowed it down to these 4 cities so I'm wondering which would meet the most of my criteria?

-A city that's on the cheap side Denver and Minneapolis are cheaper then Seattle and Chicago (I believe)

-Lots of outdoor opportunities in nature This goes to all of them. Chicago has the Lake, Seattle Has the Sound and Mountains, Minneapolis has Lakes and Denver has Mountain.

-Lots of white American guys (I say this because I'm leaving a mostly hispanic city, Miami) Denver, Seattle, and Minneapolis.

-A city that has lots to do (arts, food, etc.) but isn't overwhelming This goes to all of them imo.

-A good job market since I'm trying to change from the job I'd be relocating with I can only speak for Denver, but the job market there is getting better from what I can tell!

-And if possible somewhere I won't need a car. And if I do need it then somewhere where driving and parking isn't a hassle This goes to Chicago.
I'd go with Denver or Minneapolis according to your criteria.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post

-A city that's on the cheap side Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago, Seattle

-Lots of outdoor opportunities in nature Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago

-Lots of white American guys (I say this because I'm leaving a mostly hispanic city, Miami) Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver, Chicago

-A city that has lots to do (arts, food, etc.) but isn't overwhelming Chicago, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver *Chicago could be overwhelming for you.

-A good job market since I'm trying to change from the job I'd be relocating with Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, Chicago

-And if possible somewhere I won't need a car. And if I do need it then somewhere where driving and parking isn't a hassle Chicago, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis
Ranked in order from 1st to last.

While Denver isn't #1 in any category, I'd say it is the most well rounded for what you are looking for.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM

120 posts, read 209,111 times
Minneapolis or Denver would outrank the rest of the cities on your list for those categories. I would narrow your focus between those two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City