Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Wow Phoenix still sprawling like there's no tomorrow:

Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale,* AZ______________12553_____2031______135_______15__ ______16.18%

That's crazy insane. Phoenix needs to get their act together. It would be interesting to look at how many units are being built around subway/lightrail as a percentage in these metro area's to measure sustainability. I would assume most metro area's are concentrating as many units as possible around their subway and lightrail lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That's crazy insane. Phoenix needs to get their act together. It would be interesting to look at how many units are being built around subway/lightrail as a percentage in these metro area's to measure sustainability. I would assume most metro area's are concentrating as many units as possible around their subway and lightrail lines.
I would imagine the vast majority of Los Angeles' multifamily units are in Koreatown, Hollywood, DTLA, Santa Monica and Culver City. Maybe a TOD or two along the Gold Line extension. SM and CV are preparing for the Expo Line Phase 2 to come through (or building around it in CV). The rest already have transit.

I bet most cities are generally doing the same thing, though perhaps to a variety of success.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I would imagine the vast majority of Los Angeles' multifamily units are in Koreatown, Hollywood, DTLA, Santa Monica and Culver City. Maybe a TOD or two along the Gold Line extension. SM and CV are preparing for the Expo Line Phase 2 to come through (or building around it in CV). The rest already have transit.

I bet most cities are generally doing the same thing, though perhaps to a variety of success.

Wow....that's really impressive. L.A. building close to 9,617 units around a system as small as L.A.'s (that's a compliment by the way) must be something to behold. Do you have any pictures of the construction cranes? That kind of concentrated crane construction would blow even D.C.'s crane construction clusters away. D.C. is building alot but the suburbs are also building alot around metro lines so the construction is pretty spread out along the metro system for the total metro area.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wow....that's really impressive. L.A. building close to 9,617 units around a system as small as L.A.'s (that's a compliment by the way) must be something to behold. Do you have any pictures of the construction cranes? That kind of concentrated crane construction would blow even D.C.'s crane construction clusters away. D.C. is building alot but the suburbs are also building alot around metro lines so the construction is pretty spread out along the metro system for the total metro area.
Actually there aren't that many cranes because like I mentioned in a different thread, most of them are fairly short buildings. The nearest development to me is around the corner and is a 7 story wood-framed building: Developers Break Ground on Luxury Apartments in Hollywood - Hollywood, CA Patch

We'll see how it looks, they are starting to do detailing on the exterior.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,201,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Around or in downtown actually. Austin has 32 skyscrapers that have been approved & ready for construction (with 7 still proposed seeking confirmation), all of them getting off the ground either this year (already have) or will start shortly next year. All of them are either hotels or apartment towers.

Unlike the other Texas cities that are filling up everywhere else in the core (besides downtown), Austin's primary areas are all downtown, surrounding downtown, & the UT areas (right next to downtown). Eight such towers already under construction & thirty one about to start lifting the dirt. Austin's had an issue keeping it's tallest building downtown as the tallest for more than 3 years, it's had 4 different "new tallest building" for downtown since 2000, another 5th by the end of next year, then again replaced by 2015 by another taller.
I personally have a difficult time understanding why Austin would go vertical so "quickly", when its metro area is really just beginning to become "built out". Most cities spread out WAY further before the core becomes an enticing option to future dwellers, usually due to commute times. If you believe in the land value:distance paradigm, where land values (and hence the demand to build higher FARs and go profit by building expensive vertical buildings) are inversely correlated with the distance to home/work/etc -- i.e. the further away you are the cheaper it is to live, and the further away available land resides the more expensive core land becomes. There is not much to me that would suggest why core values would be increasing and residents would prefer less space to be more central, with the exception of traffic, especially considering so many jobs in Austin are not concentrated in downtown (it seemed).

I guess commuting may explain Austin's central focus then.....since traffic there is a nightmare! I guess there can be good things that come from ungodly traffic congestion, huh?!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,201,059 times
Quote:
Actually there aren't that many cranes because like I mentioned in a different thread, most of them are fairly short buildings. The nearest development to me is around the corner and is a 7 story wood-framed building: Developers Break Ground on Luxury Apartments in Hollywood - Hollywood, CA Patch

We're seeing cranes pop up all over Minneapolis on those very same "stick frame" buildings -- 5-7 floors. Some of them need a full-sized crane while others just need those boom cranes. But no, you aren't going to see cranes on the horizon if you're standing in a forest or anything!!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I guess commuting may explain Austin's central focus then.....since traffic there is a nightmare! I guess there can be good things that come from ungodly traffic congestion, huh?!
It makes you want to commit suicide. I remember coming back to my apartment one time after getting grocery (only 4 miles away but took 45 minutes to get to) and punching the living hell out of my roommates bedroom door while he was out till the door broke out of such built up utter rage & hatred of driving in Austin.

It's by FAR worse than traffic on the Beltway in Washington & 610 in Houston combined.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Why are they building a 7 story structure with a wood frame? I would think L.A. has stricter building codes than that. All structures 5 stories and taller in D.C. must be built with steel. They must not expect those structures to last long building them so cheaply.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
It makes you want to commit suicide. I remember coming back to my apartment one time after getting grocery (only 4 miles away but took 45 minutes to get to) and punching the living hell out of my roommates bedroom door while he was out till the door broke out of such built up utter rage & hatred of driving in Austin.

It's by FAR worse than traffic on the Beltway in Washington & 610 in Houston combined.
Jesus.

Even my wife's commute is never that bad, from the edge of Central LA to DTLA is 7 miles and takes about an hour. 45 minute drive to get groceries - F that.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:

that's because the infrastructure can not keep up with 25%+ Growth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City