U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,420,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That 66.6% of the vote needed is retarded. They were trying to set that up for failure before it even got started. Transit is the red headed step child in this country.
Well Prop 13 is a taxes law, requiring most new taxes to get 2/3 vote in order to pass and limiting the rate at which property tax can increase. Prop 13 is ruining California (has been since the 70s when it was passed), it needs to be repealed ASAP.

Actually it also f*cked over Alameda County (Oakland) with their transportation tax which was even closer with 66.5% of the vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM

MDAllstar, this explains how LA will approach expediting the transit expansion now that J has "failed": TURNING MEASURE J’S DEFEAT INTO VICTORY | Move LA

Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,439,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
MDAllstar, this explains how LA will approach expediting the transit expansion now that J has "failed": TURNING MEASURE J’S DEFEAT INTO VICTORY | Move LA
Wow, didn't know this measure failed. Welcome to the "unfortunate transit measure club" of Seattle and Atlanta. I'll never understand how the same crowd that shouts "Traffic sucks!" turns right around and says "Let's do nothing about it!"

Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Wow, didn't know this measure failed. Welcome to the "unfortunate transit measure club" of Seattle and Atlanta. I'll never understand how the same crowd that shouts "Traffic sucks!" turns right around and says "Let's do nothing about it!"
Yeah except 66.1 percent of the county voted for it. People did want to do something about it. In Seattle and Atlanta it would have been a landslide victory. Thanks Prop 13.

Also keep in mind Measure R still exists and the Los Angeles Metro rail system is (I believe) number one for current transit expansion under construction and planned / funded. Measure J would just have sped up the process. As the article states Metro is confident that they will still be able to speed it up through other means.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 AM

26,937 posts, read 53,776,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah except 66.1 percent of the county voted for it. People did want to do something about it. In Seattle and Atlanta it would have been a landslide victory. Thanks Prop 13.

Also keep in mind Measure R still exists and the Los Angeles Metro rail system is (I believe) number one for current transit expansion under construction and planned / funded. Measure J would just have sped up the process. As the article states Metro is confident that they will still be able to speed it up through other means.
Remember this isn't Seattle or Atlanta... and Seattle has ZERO State Income Tax... unlike California.

Blaming Prop 13 for the measure's failure doesn't explain the how and why other measures succeed under Prop 13.

Just like 49.5 percent voted for Romney and 50.5 voted for Obama... about a 1% difference. Now more than ever... every vote counts.

As you posts mentions... they have other means to make it happen.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Remember this isn't Seattle or Atlanta... and Seattle has ZERO State Income Tax... unlike California.

Blaming Prop 13 for the measure's failure doesn't explain the how and why other measures succeed under Prop 13.

Just like 49.5 percent voted for Romney and 50.5 voted for Obama... about a 1% difference. Now more than ever... every vote counts.

As you posts mentions... they have other means to make it happen.
Would be interesting to see how many have passed. It is true that Measure R passed with over 66%, I do blame the campaign more than Prop 13. Just nice to have an easy target to complain about (plus I would be in favor of its modifying) One notable tax that recently passed that threshold was the creation of a tax-district for the DTLA streetcar.

Basically I was just trying to counter the notion that transit expansion is unpopular in LA County (not that anyone really said that but it could be misconstrued to seem that way).

Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM

3,115 posts, read 3,819,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My understanding is that the 2/3 requirement is only for new taxes and the short answer is that the hardly ever succeed when presented as a tax. When they are presented as a bond, like high speed rail or schools, then they often pass since bonds only require 50%.

Last edited by 2Easy; 12-09-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM

26,937 posts, read 53,776,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
My understanding is that the 2/3 requirement is only for new taxes and the short answer is that the hardly ever succeed when presented as a tax. When they are presented as a bond, like high speed rail or schools, then they often pass since bonds only require 50%.
Last I counted.. I have 26 special assessments on my home property tax bill in Oakland CA.

The voters here tend to be very generous on approving ballot measures... at least they have been for decades.

Schools, Police, Libraries, Mosquito Abatement, Vector Control, Parks, City Zoo, Street Lighting, Landscape, Fire District... just to name a few and I have cast my ballot in favor a couple of times too.

Remember school construction/maintenance only needs 55%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or