Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,266,904 times

Advertisements

I've heard both Philly and Chicago characterized as a "Mini-golf" New York City ( a rude way to put it, but possibly accurate, nonetheless).

Which city do you think fits this crude, but somewhat apt comparison. Chicago is obviously more midwestern and "brawling" as Carl Sanburg one described it. Philly's influence stems from both NYC and the mid-Atlantic, on top of it being a city in Pennsylvania (which has it's own regional influence).

I've heard the same said about San Fran, but I think that's malarkey. Density, bridges, and somewhat reliable public transportation don't immediately make a city "New York-ish," especially a city as unique as SF. Chicago and Philly get the comparison the most, however, so I'm focusing on these two.

Thoughts? Are any comparison's relevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,605,100 times
The Loop/Downtown area of Chicago is similar to Manhattan but the rest of the city is not very similar to New York in anyway.

Most of Philly has some very strong similarities to NYC. Most of Philadelphia is similar to Brooklyn with sprinkles of Manhattan here and there while the Northeast section of the city is very comparable to Queens/Staten Island. Some areas of Philadelphia are unique to only Philadelphia, but some areas can be compared to other places though. Like for instance, Beacon Hill in Boston and Society Hill in Philly are VERY similar. Spruce Hill, Clark Park, Cedar Park neighborhoods in West Philly can be compared to areas of Pittsburgh or St. Louis. Manayunk is similar to some areas of San Francisco. So there can be comparisons made all over in any city, but overall Philly is most comparable to NYC.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,000,072 times
Philadelphia would be the closest, but I don't think there's such a thing as a mini-NYC. The dynamics of this city are too one-of-a-kind.

Our country's other megacity, Los Angeles, is the same way. There aren't really any equivalent cities.

Sometimes I wonder if New York and Los Angeles are the way they are as a function of size responding to importance, or importance responding to size...

Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,266,904 times
It's interesting that that the two most prominent cities in our nation are almost complete opposites. Apples and Oranges. I can't think of a greater difference between two cities than NY and LA.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,763,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
It's interesting that that the two most prominent cities in our nation are almost complete opposites. Apples and Oranges. I can't think of a greater difference between two cities than NY and LA.
Boston and Jacksonville.

LA and NYC are definitely very different but there are plenty of cities that are mote different.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 AM

940 posts, read 2,017,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
I think it's just that NYC and LA are so high profile that there's a tendency to want to make them "x vs. y." In reality, nowhere else in the country is remotely like NYC. If anything, LA is more similar to NYC on a social/demographic/cultural level than most other places in the US. To me, it never makes sense to compare other american cities to NYC because there's really very little to compare on.

but yes, they really made it easy with the whole apples/oranges thing....

Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,605,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
I think it's just that NYC and LA are so high profile that there's a tendency to want to make them "x vs. y." In reality, nowhere else in the country is remotely like NYC. If anything, LA is more similar to NYC on a social/demographic/cultural level than most other places in the US. To me, it never makes sense to compare other american cities to NYC because there's really very little to compare on.

but yes, they really made it easy with the whole apples/oranges thing....
Very little to compare on? You can compare on appearances and the way somewhere looks.

For example

Where is this?

Now where is this?

People make comparisons because of the similarity in appearances and the similarity of feel at street level. Not because of the cultural or economic impact of a city.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,777,695 times
Mini-golf?!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
this is as close as you get to a mini-golf nyc

enjoy your holiday.com

Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 AM

6,195 posts, read 11,800,335 times
^ I was just thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City