Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,652,648 times

Advertisements

Of all the cities you listed Columbus is the highest LGBT per capita population. All neighborhoods around downtown have LGBT populations from 20-40 percent of the general population. It is also progressive and liberal. And has a lively music scene, especially in alternative rock. And there is a very good economy. I would say Columbus best meets your wants.

Heres an article showing 2010 census results, you will see how high the LGBT population in many areas. And this census only asks for LGBT same sex partner houses as a measure.

However, you must live in one of the great central city neighborhoods or suburbs. Even if you work around the outerbelt (many do the reverse commute in Columbus) you will get the most of what you're looking for living in these areas. Also the central city neighborhoods, and innerring suburbs, are gentrified and safe and offer a relaxed yet hip vibe/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,733,309 times
All midwestern cities, besides Minneapolis and Chicago (but only to an extent) love to over-exaggerate their liberalism/progressiveness. While they may vote democrat, the culture is midwestern cities is always conservative. You might have a few neighborhoods that aren't, but overall, it's just how the midwest is. College campuses can often be liberal too, but that is about it.

Too much feigned liberalism

Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 AM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
K.C. and Columbus are both nice. K.C. gives you a bit of Western/Southern/Midwestern flavor and great BBQ.

Columbus is also a very nice town with a lot going for it. I'd add Louisville and St. Louis to the tour, take a second look at Indy and scrap the rest of your list.

If you can swing through Nashville, Memphis, Tulsa and Oklahoma City for the price of gas and cheap hotels, all the better. Nashville is really coming on strong.
I think Louisville or Pittsburgh are by far the coolest and most interesting cities on that list. Columbus too. But Louisville combines the best amenities with the least traffic, warmest weather, and by far the best restaurants of the bunch. Des Moines is meh, and Omaha while cool, is much smaller than Louisville or Pittsburgh.

I vote Louisville:

New2Lou

Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 AM

107 posts, read 208,508 times
But how is the economy and cost of living in Louisville? Unemployment?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,419,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I think Louisville or Pittsburgh are by far the coolest and most interesting cities on that list. Columbus too. But Louisville combines the best amenities with the least traffic, warmest weather, and by far the best restaurants of the bunch. Des Moines is meh, and Omaha while cool, is much smaller than Louisville or Pittsburgh.

I vote Louisville:

New2Lou
(1) Louisville wasn't on OP's list, but it is certainly an underrated city.
(2) I'd be interested to hear why you dismiss Des Moines, but not Omaha.
(3) Omaha and DSM both satisfy all of OP's requests (all five cities listed do), and their smaller size makes them more easily navigable.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 PM

583 posts, read 880,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
(1) Louisville wasn't on OP's list, but it is certainly an underrated city.
(2) I'd be interested to hear why you dismiss Des Moines, but not Omaha.
(3) Omaha and DSM both satisfy all of OP's requests (all five cities listed do), and their smaller size makes them more easily navigable.
Omaha and Des Moines are blown out of the picture when Louisville comes in.

Tdag, if you can make it in Louisville, you'll have a very happy life. It's worth trying to crack that nut.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,419,250 times
....I wasn't comparing them.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 AM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
But how is the economy and cost of living in Louisville? Unemployment?
Very low unemployment for the region and among the cheapest cost of living on your list. Also, the warmest weather by far of anywhere you are looking. I also think it has the most upside.

You are looking at essentially 3 tiers of cities on your original list. Pittsburgh and KC are probably the biggest, but also have vast swaths of decaying areas with no hope for recovery. Columbus is in the middle. Louisville was not on your list, but given your hometown and location, IMO it shold be.

Des Moines and Omaha are a whole size class below the other cities.

For me, this would be between Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Louisville. Louisville or Columbus would get the nod as they are thriving academic/university centers with growing economies that are suited for the future. They are big enough to have big city amenities, but small enough to feel home.

A few web sites to explore if you have any curiosity about Louisville.

New2Lou
Economic Development - Greater Louisville Inc.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 AM

429 posts, read 650,382 times
Pittsburgh has a thriving academic/university center as well as a growing economy suited for the future as well..........the days of it having a depressed economy with negative growth are over.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 AM

583 posts, read 880,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSGuy View Post
Pittsburgh has a thriving academic/university center as well as a growing economy suited for the future as well..........the days of it having a depressed economy with negative growth are over.
Pittsburgh has some legacy universities from the days when it was a relevant economic center. That ship has sailed, and activity is going elsewhere in the country. Pittsburgh is now just a place with some universities that people may visit Pittsburgh to attend, though they retreat elsewhere once studies have concluded. Louisville is right on the border of Sun Belt and the Midwest, so it benefits from a very desirable location and many influences.

Louisville is also far more attractive, liveable and comfortable than Pittsburgh. Once you spend a weekend bounding along Bardstown Road and through Cherokee Park, you'll never think of Pittsburgh, again.

Pittsburgh has large expanses of urban areas that will never, ever come back. People only lived in these areas because standards were lower 100 years ago, and the mill work forced people to live in places based on needs, not wants.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone could like anything about Pittsburgh. Of all cities over 1 million, it's the worst one I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City