U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 PM

163 posts, read 498,022 times

Advertisements

Okc is bigger (as a city) and seems to be more progressive than Providence, RI. But are they in any way comparable. OKC is often mentioned as being in same tier as Charlotte, Ft Worth, Orlando, Etc. Primarily because of its large city population and professional sports. Can Providence compete with OKC in areas such as:
Culture. Sports. Education. Shopping. Nightlife. Economics. Food. Things to do. Or does Providence hold its own against the larger city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,125,977 times
OKC is a fine city with a great economy but I am going to have to go with Providence on this one and by a long shot. OKC is a relatively young city and is car-centric while Providence has rich history with many historic, walkable neighborhoods. Plus, though Providence itself is small its in the middle of the Bos-Wash corridor so you have easy access to all the cultural attractions that offers. OKC is pretty isolated.

On second thought, I am really wondering if this thread is a joke.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM

163 posts, read 498,022 times
Bchris02. I certainly did not start this thread as a "joke". I visited OKC and thought it to be a pretty nice city. Providence is much smaller city but has a larger metro. OKC beats it in some areas. Pro and college sports. It also has a nice canal area I visited downtown, and a nice baseball field there. Bigger skyline and maybe mor shopping (IDK). I didn't have much time to do more exploration but will do so next time I am in that part of the country.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
Bchris02. I certainly did not start this thread as a "joke". I visited OKC and thought it to be a pretty nice city. Providence is much smaller city but has a larger metro. OKC beats it in some areas. Pro and college sports. It also has a nice canal area I visited downtown, and a nice baseball field there. Bigger skyline and maybe mor shopping (IDK). I didn't have much time to do more exploration but will do so next time I am in that part of the country.
My bad for thinking you were joking. I am just so used to seeing "flyover" cities like OKC trashed on this forum.

Glad you liked OKC. OKC has better nightlife than most people think and can hold its own against the slightly larger cities in its tier (Charlotte, Louisville, etc). Downtown is changing pretty fast. Right now its hard to get around downtown because of all the construction. One thing OKC needs and will come with time is more urban living options. Providence wins in shopping as it has more upscale stores. If there is one area OKC really underperforms for its tier its shopping. Providence has the advantage of location as I said being in the Bos-Wash corridor.

The economy wins in OKC by a long shot. Last I checked the unemployment rate is under 5% vs 12% in Providence. Both OKC and Providence have two Fortune 500 companies.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 PM

8,119 posts, read 11,208,455 times
I'm sorry, Oklahoma City is more progressive than Providence? We're talking about Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and Providence, Rhode Island, right?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 AM

6,966 posts, read 19,317,465 times
yeah,i'm not sure about more "progressive"

where did you hear that?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,813,985 times
Providence is clearly going to have a smaller population its 500 sq miles smaller. OKC actually has a smaller metro. Providence has a worse economy but has much more of almost evrything else cause the city didn't pop up 30 years ago. Except sports with OU and the Thunder.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:02 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,592,923 times
OKC vs Providence. Amazingly enough I actually have been to both cities, and probably know OKC better, spending more time there.

Does Providence hold its own? Both are the largest cities in their respective states and the state capital. Providence is probably more interesting and juicy(for people who like those old gritty cities) due to the age, topography, architecture, history, etc. OKC is probably better for economics and suburban living and they have a lot of good freeways and long straight wide surface highways. Easy to get around vs the maze that is Providence (or any other place in New England, for that matter).

P

Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 AM

15,802 posts, read 6,712,030 times
Providence. But I'm an East coast cat. Okie City might be a good town but it's in the middle of nowhere.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm sorry, Oklahoma City is more progressive than Providence? We're talking about Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and Providence, Rhode Island, right?
It depends on how you define "progressive." On City-Data that tends to be focused on gay population and social liberalism. Providence wins easily on that as their gay index is 175, 75 points higher than the national average. OKC's is only 103, barely higher than the national average. However, those stats and somewhat be misleading because OKC's city limits are so large and include so much of suburbia. Inner city OKC is relatively liberal and its not uncommon at all to see gay couples. I also think it got named 4th most sexually promiscuous city on a list not long ago.

Now if we look at the broader picture, OKC has taken tremendous initiative to improve itself in the form of passing local taxes to fund new projects, and it has paid off. Under that criteria, the argument could possibly be made for OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City