Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is easiest to live without a car and rely on transit: Boston, San Diego, LA or Seattle?
Boston 116 85.93%
LA 7 5.19%
San Diego 3 2.22%
Seattle 9 6.67%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times

Advertisements

Which of these four cities do think has the better public transit system (bus, light rail, subway, commuter rail)? Which do find easier to live in without a car? Why?

This has come up in the Boston forum, and I'm curious what the non-Boston homers think. I personaly have no experience with public transit in SD or Seattle so I'm not voting myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
Boston. Its dense enough to walk through and has great transit. Plus its difficult to drive through boston so you might as well not drive.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM

To quick for me Amercity.

Poll added.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:33 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Boston
Seattle
Los Angeles
San Diego

in that order.

I lived in Seattle car free for a year in my early 20's (and lived most of my life in the suburbs of Boston). As long as you're in the the right neighborhood then Seattle is pretty easy. Seattle has a light rail/subway from Sea-Tac airport through South Seattle, Rainier Valley, and Beacon Hill up into downtown. A new subway line is being constructed up to Capital Hill and the U-District and expected to start running in 2015. Capital Hill, U-District, and Queen Anne are very walkable neighborhoods close to downtown with grocery stores and frequent bus service. Seattle has a pretty dense downtown core with adjacent dense urban neighborhoods. The rest of the city is an urban/suburban hybrid many with walkable commercial districts in neignborhoods like Ballard, Wallingford, and Greenlake (North Seattle).

I like Seattle as a city because I think it has the perfect balance between urban density and suburban elbow room. Sound Transit has plans to expand its light rail service over to Bellevue/Redmond and up to Northgate which will most likely be in service in the early years of the next decade. Though Seattle's rail transit is light rail, a good bulk of it is subway tunnelled or elevated so it doesn't crawl on surface streets through neighborhoods like a lot of light rail systems in other cities. As far as the poll is concerned Boston is the no brainer selection by comparison to the other cities listed.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-27-2012 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Boston
Seattle / Los Angeles
San Diego

I've lived car-free in Boston (2.5 years), live car-light in Los Angeles (2 years), very familiar with San Diego, never been to Seattle.

It's a little tough because this always depends on personal situations - in some parts of Los Angeles I would say it is at the same level as Boston while in other situations/locations in LA it is impossible to live without a car. In fact my current neighborhood (Hollywood) is much more walkable and transit-saturated than my neighborhood in Boston (Allston). Coming from that experience with blinders on I would have said LA - but taking in the whole Boston has a great percentage of areas that are easy for car-free living (i.e. if you threw a dart at a map of Boston chances are greater than in the other three that it is a walkable and transit-friendly neighborhood).

To the OP, I am curious what the Boston homers are saying that prompted the thread?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:01 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Boston > Seattle > LA > SD

Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
To the OP, I am curious what the Boston homers are saying that prompted the thread?
The homers (myself included) all speak highly of the MBTA, while at the same time acknowledging it's flaws. As we all know there are a few, to say the least. Well one particular CD member is seems adamant the MBTA is one of the worst PT systems in the country, which IMO is absurd.

Not sure if I can cross link the two threads, but if you want to read through its in the Boston forum titled 'Is Boston a Cosmopolitan City?'. Somehow it turned into a public transit debate.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
The homers (myself included) all speak highly of the MBTA, while at the same time acknowledging it's flaws. As we all know there are a few, to say the least. Well one particular CD member is seems adamant the MBTA is one of the worst PT systems in the country, which IMO is absurd.

Not sure if I can cross link the two threads, but if you want to read through its in the Boston forum titled 'Is Boston a Cosmopolitan City?'. Somehow it turned into a public transit debate.
The MBTA is really good but definitely has some flaws. IMO its bus network could be improved to make N/S travel around the "spokes" a little more efficient. Far, far far from one of the worst PT systems (actually all four of these cities are near the top of the heap in the US, maybe SD excepting).

Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post

For one that has ridden more modern transit like DC Metro or the BART in the SF Bay area, the MBTA leaves something to be desired. The network and coverage is very good. It's those old crowded commuter rail trains and $4.00 parking fees to park even and places as far out as Newburyport that gets annoying and expensive. Also I think commuter rail could be improved by having express trains from the far flung suburbs skipping some stops so the ride isn't so long. Or waiting out in the cold at a Red Line station out in Quincy because the train is delayed which seemed to happen frequently.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
For one that has ridden more modern transit like DC Metro or the BART in the SF Bay area, the MBTA leaves something to be desired. The network and coverage is very good. It's those old crowded commuter rail trains and $4.00 parking fees to park even and places as far out as Newburyport that gets annoying and expensive. Also I think commuter rail could be improved by having express trains from the far flung suburbs skipping some stops so the ride isn't so long. Or waiting out in the cold at a Red Line station out in Quincy because the train is delayed which seemed to happen frequently.
BART is better than the commuter rail in Boston but MBTA within the city and immediate surroundings absolutely destroys MUNI, which IMO is even worse than LA's system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City