Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I'm playing the 3rd Quarter in this city ...
Bay Area 14 25.00%
Boston 5 8.93%
LA 10 17.86%
Montreal 4 7.14%
Philadelphia 7 12.50%
SD 8 14.29%
Toronto 2 3.57%
Vancouver 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM

214 posts, read 410,100 times

Advertisements

@grapico, especially when she doesn't drink at all lol. Good info peeps.
@oy, The more and more we think about it, we were approaching this the wrong way. We should be spending our 40s abroad. No kids, good careers, why not? So, we've expanded our search and started working with international recruiters. Sights are set on Auckland, Melbourne, Singapore, Sydney and Wellington. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
@grapico, especially when she doesn't drink at all lol. Good info peeps.
@oy, The more and more we think about it, we were approaching this the wrong way. We should be spending our 40s abroad. No kids, good careers, why not? So, we've expanded our search and started working with international recruiters. Sights are set on Auckland, Melbourne, Singapore, Sydney and Wellington. Thoughts?
Are those choices because they're Anglophone? Those all seem like good options though Auckland is a fair bit smaller than the others and Wellington is a lot smaller than the others. Singapore is the most city out of that lot (and if you aren't in the habit of littering, spitting, smoking pot or anything, chewing gum, pissing on sidewalks or getting absolutely ****faced very often, it's a very good option) and it's also the most different in a lot of other ways. The really great thing about Singapore is its use as a quick jumping off point to see the rest of southeast, south, and east asia and maybe parts of pacific islands and australia.

If you don't mind being part of the expat community (up until if and when you learn enough of whatever language to join in on the greater community), then Hong Kong, Taipei, Shanghai, and pretty much any major city in South Korea and Japan would be interesting options in that part of the world while still having first world amenities (a few things in Shanghai are a bit off such as the firewall, but you can set up a proxy pretty easily).

Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 AM

214 posts, read 410,100 times
Your response is on point and funny! I really like the Oceania lifestyle. Europe is a bit like the US as well as Canada (and Oceania) for that matter. I think it's the distance from what is normal and comfortable is what excites me. Sometimes, situations like that being removed from the familiar makes you grow and expand your emotional, spiritual and psychological well-being.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,048 times
Of this cities listed, I'd probably pick either Vancouver, Boston, San Francisco, or Philadelphia.

I love Los Angeles, but I can't see myself living there in my 40s. Toronto and San Diego are nice cities, but neither have ever appealed to me. I love Montreal, but it's just too cold (Boston/Chicago are my limits when it comes to winter).

Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,699 times
I just got back from living 2 years in Auckland, and I would NOT recommend it. Too expensive, even for people without kids. And I had a decent job in healthcare. Personally, I am leaning towards San Fran.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
I voted with my feet two years ago, to San Francisco. I am in a very similar situation--married, no kids, late 30s-early 40s, etc.

The lifestyle in SF is made for this. I could also see Marin County being a great choice if your tastes lean more to the outdoors rather than city life --in which case you'd be knocking 20 minutes off most weekend drives by living in Marin. There's more to it than that, of course, but I wrote it just to illustrate how these two amazingly different places (climate/topography/mood/lifestyle), which are each perfect in their own ways for the scenario you describe, are so close together as to complement one another as much as they contradict one another.

The only variable I see is your mention that your wive doesn't drink. Wine and the epicurean culture that revolves around it is a very big part of the Bay Area lifestyle. So, you would be missing out on something that makes this area unique. Still, The Bay Area is easily atop the list of places in the US that's great for DINKs in their 40s, in my opinion.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,011 times
I didn't vote for anything because Seattle is not on your list. I'm in my 40's no kids and can live anywhere and I chose Seattle. I lived in Bay Area for 18 years and I like Seattle better now because it's much cheaper, closer to skiing and closer to the wilderness. For me Seattle + some long winter vacations to sunny and tropical locales, is the best living situation in the whole U.S. If I thought I could do better I would move.

-Bay Area - too expensive, too far from skiing and real mountains
-Boston - I like it a lot but bitter cold winters, humid summers and not as exciting a buzz as Seattle
-LA - too shallow, plastic, no change of seasons gets old, lots of run down ghetto neighborhoods
-Montreal - awesome town, but bitter cold long winters and nature is not as spectacular as Seattle
-Philly - why???
-SD - I lived there for 7 years, nice climate but kind of boring and not very progressive or walkable, too far from real skiing and mountains, brown landscape most of year, no seasons gets boring and old after a while
-Toronto - great city but bitter cold and no mountains
-Vancouver - this is one place I may choose over Seattle, but terribly expensive

Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
If possible, I would try a different country.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
SF is horrible for this unless you're well into 6 figures (people in their 30s/40s move outside the city unless they're loaded, I tried it in my late 30s and almost no peers were in the city itself, dating stunk). I'd say Chicago, but not offered. Boston for the ones listed that I'm familiar with.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
SF is horrible for this unless you're well into 6 figures (people in their 30s/40s move outside the city unless they're loaded, I tried it in my late 30s and almost no peers were in the city itself, dating stunk). I'd say Chicago, but not offered. Boston for the ones listed that I'm familiar with.
OP is not dating. I think San Francisco is an ideal place for DINKs in their 30s-40s. I do agree with you on Chicago and Boston as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City