Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM

310 posts, read 1,357,156 times

Advertisements

Which is a better music city: Austin, Texas or Nashville, Tennessee? Considering a move to either one and can't make up my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Austin is a great up and comer, and I love the Texas sound -- but come on, it's Nashville.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Austin is a great up and comer, and I love the Texas sound -- but come on, it's Nashville.

Would agree Nashville is bascially the center for a whole musical genre.

Austin is interesting for its size but to me very similar offerings can be found in multiple cities; for Nashville not so much

Old 03-09-2012, 12:06 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Nashville. It's either home or temporary home to pretty much every country musician plus you have a ton of other talent living or working here.

Some of Nashville's non-country talent: Ben Folds, The Raconteurs, OCMS, Sheryl Crow, Kings of Leon, Kesha, Young Buck, Jewel, Kid Rock, Michael McDonald, Bela Fleck, sixpence none the richer, Peter Frampton, Mat Kearney and more but that's a pretty diverse group right there that either lives in Nashville or spends considerable time here.

In addition to the celebrities, you have all the record execs, writers, instrumentalists, etc. Simon Fuller even owns a penthouse condo here.

With all of the talent here, live music is never in short supply and the scene is surprisingly diverse.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Nashville. It's either home or temporary home to pretty much every country musician plus you have a ton of other talent living or working here.

Some of Nashville's non-country talent: Ben Folds, The Raconteurs, OCMS, Sheryl Crow, Kings of Leon, Kesha, Young Buck, Jewel, Kid Rock, Michael McDonald, Bela Fleck, sixpence none the richer, Peter Frampton, Mat Kearney and more but that's a pretty diverse group right there that either lives in Nashville or spends considerable time here.

In addition to the celebrities, you have all the record execs, writers, instrumentalists, etc. Simon Fuller even owns a penthouse condo here.

With all of the talent here, live music is never in short supply and the scene is surprisingly diverse.
Yep on all points.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Lol, Austin is not an 'up-and-comer', its music scene has been established and thriving for decades.

Quote:

You just listed a bunch of artists who got their careers going somewhere else and then relocated to Nashville- big deal. How about homegrown talent? IMO that's the mark of a great music scene.

I haven't lived in Nashville so I can't make a fair comparison, but what's great about Austin is that the locals strongly support the local scene and nurtures artists...which is why lots of local musicians stay even when they get signed to a major label or do nat'l/internat'l tours. We couldn't care less if Kesha, Kid Rock or Jewel moved to Austin.

For me, Austin is better...it's pretty much all about the live music here, and as a regular joe resident the presence of recording labels, producers, execs and what-not does nothing for me.

All in all, since the OP seems to be strongly considering the music scene in their moving decision, I don't think they can go wrong between these two.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Lol, Austin is not an 'up-and-comer', its music scene has been established and thriving for decades.

You just listed a bunch of artists who got their careers going somewhere else and then relocated to Nashville- big deal. How about homegrown talent? IMO that's the mark of a great music scene.

I haven't lived in Nashville so I can't make a fair comparison, but what's great about Austin is that the locals strongly support the local scene and nurtures artists...which is why lots of local musicians stay even when they get signed to a major label or do nat'l/internat'l tours. We couldn't care less if Kesha, Kid Rock or Jewel moved to Austin.

For me, Austin is better...it's pretty much all about the live music here, and as a regular joe resident the presence of recording labels, producers, execs and what-not does nothing for me.

All in all, since the OP seems to be strongly considering the music scene in their moving decision, I don't think they can go wrong between these two.
I know Austin fashions itself as the live music capital. I love the music that comes out of there. I prefer it to Nashville, actually. But Austin does not rival Nashville anymore than any American city rivals LA for movies or NYC for theater. Sure, you're going to find places with great local scenes, but we all know where the mecca is.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:

That's not true, some of those artists (and many more not listed) got their start in Nashville and chose to remain there. Nashville not only has a lot of local talent but also draws talent from across the nation and world due to the presence of those music industry insiders that could give them their big break.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Quote:
That's not true, some of those artists (and many more not listed) got their start in Nashville and chose to remain there. Nashville not only has a lot of local talent but also draws talent from across the nation and world due to the presence of those music industry insiders that could give them their big break.
Ok, what are some notable acts that got their starts and were nurtured in the local Nashville scene? I don't doubt you, I'm only asking because almost that entire list you first posted is groups/musicians that got their starts elsewhere and relocated to Nashville, presumably to produce an album or find session musicians. Most were already successful on some level before heading to Nashville. I completely agree that Nashville is the place to go to get a big break from industry insiders, I'm just saying for me as a consumer - not creator - of music, that fact doesn't hold much absolute value to me...a vibrant and diverse live scene that prioritizes and celebrates local acts is much more preferable for me, which is why I prefer Austin. I certainly don't doubt that Nashville also has an excellent live scene, especially if you're really into country.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Ok, what are some notable acts that got their starts and were nurtured in the local Nashville scene? I don't doubt you, I'm only asking because almost that entire list you first posted is groups/musicians that got their starts elsewhere and relocated to Nashville, presumably to produce an album or find session musicians. Most were already successful on some level before heading to Nashville. I completely agree that Nashville is the place to go to get a big break from industry insiders, I'm just saying for me as a consumer - not creator - of music, that fact doesn't hold much absolute value to me...a vibrant and diverse live scene that prioritizes and celebrates local acts is much more preferable for me, which is why I prefer Austin. I certainly don't doubt that Nashville also has an excellent live scene, especially if you're really into country.

You don't just move to Nashville and produce an album. It usually takes years of working your way up through the local venues and there are some great local artists that never hit it big but are making Nashville their home, call themselves Nashvillians, and are supported by the community. It doesn't matter if they were born there, even most Nashvillians will joke that it's hard to find a native. The city treats them and supports them as hometown talent and they often claim the city as their home. What I'm saying is that this is what makes Nashville better for music; it's clearly welcoming of all types of talents and genres and you don't have to have been born here to get respect. I mean bands like Paramore, Hot Chelle Rae, and The Black Keys could base themselves in any city but they choose Nashville. If such a large variety of artists are choosing to make Nashville home, don't you think that speaks volumes for the city's music scene?

I know for a fact that Austin has an awesome music scene but you make it sound like an outsider wouldn't have a chance in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City