Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 9,783 times

Advertisements

So I am planning to move from New York in June. I am looking for something a little more low key and not so ridiculously expensive. I've narrowed down the cities I want to move to to Indianapolis and Raleigh.

Pros and Cons about Raleigh:
- The weather. I like that the winters will be A LOT more mild than NYC winters.
- I like that it is within a days drive of NY. I'll still have a lot of family living here so I like that I'll be relatively close.
- I've been to Raleigh before and while I liked it, it did not seem like much of a city at all. Walking around during the day, there were barely any people around (it was Labor Day weekend so that may have played a role) and from what I saw, it didn't seem to have much of a downtown area. Maybe I just missed it.

Pros and Cons for Indianapolis:
- I've never actually been to Indianapolis but I have heard a lot of good things about it. I'm planning to go there for a long weekend the end of this month to check it out.
- I like that you are around a lot of other cities/places. With Raleigh, I feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.
- One of the not so great things I've heard about Indy, is the crime rate. That honestly does make me a little nervous.
- I'm scared of the winters. If the winters are comparable to New York, I can handle it. But if it gets below freezing basically everyday during the winter, I am not sure how I feel about that.

I'm really torn between the two cities and could go either way. Here are my three main deciding factors:
1. Money. If possible, I'd like to find a 2 bedroom apartment for $800 in a decent neighborhood.
2. Jobs. While I will be working remotely for my current job when I first move, this will not be a long term thing. I will eventually need to look for full time work where I live so I want to move where there are more job opportunities. I am looking for jobs in the media/communications/PR field.
3. Things to do. While I know no place can compare to NY in terms of things to do, I want a place that has a decent amount of dining/entertainment options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Unless you have a fondness for Chicago, I can't see Indy being the winner for location. Yes Indy has Louisville, Cincy and Columbus for weekend trips, but Raliegh has Charlotte for big city shopping and lots better weekend destinations. Including the beach!

But if you aren't a nature lover and mid-major cities are more interesting to you for destinations, then Indy could be the right choice.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 9,470 times
Mid-West would attract my attention all day or any given day. So Indy(500) for the win.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Is Durham's downtown an improvement over Raleigh?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Unless you have a fondness for Chicago, I can't see Indy being the winner for location. Yes Indy has Louisville, Cincy and Columbus for weekend trips, but Raliegh has Charlotte for big city shopping and lots better weekend destinations. Including the beach!

But if you aren't a nature lover and mid-major cities are more interesting to you for destinations, then Indy could be the right choice.
Chicago has big city shopping and beaches too.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

I have a very difficult time thinking proximity to Charlotte somehow trumps proximity to Chicago.................. though I doubt I would make a choice based on that anyway.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontblink225 View Post
- One of the not so great things I've heard about Indy, is the crime rate. That honestly does make me a little nervous.
- I'm scared of the winters. If the winters are comparable to New York, I can handle it. But if it gets below freezing basically everyday during the winter, I am not sure how I feel about that.

I'm really torn between the two cities and could go either way. Here are my three main deciding factors:
1. Money. If possible, I'd like to find a 2 bedroom apartment for $800 in a decent neighborhood.
2. Jobs. While I will be working remotely for my current job when I first move, this will not be a long term thing. I will eventually need to look for full time work where I live so I want to move where there are more job opportunities. I am looking for jobs in the media/communications/PR field.
3. Things to do. While I know no place can compare to NY in terms of things to do, I want a place that has a decent amount of dining/entertainment options.
Most crime in Indianapolis happens between people who do illegal things.

Winter.................yes it gets cold here.

Money.........................$800 should not be problem.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 AM

I wouldn't say Charlotte is better than Chicago - not hardly. But it may be a substitute, depends on what the OP wants. Good point about the Indiana dunes.

Something tells me the OP and his buddy mcm are trolls acting on an intra city rivalry.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I would go with Indy. While Raleigh has a relatively large MSA population, it feels very small and way to quiet to me.

Indy is more active and busy with more to do and is closer to more large cities, especially Chicago.

Indy is not one of my favorite cities by any stretch, but I would choose it over Raleigh in a heartbeat. And Durham is flat out tiny. I find it odd that it's always mentioned as if it's a larger more urban place.

Des Moines feels twice the size of Raleigh and places like Peoria and Harrisburg feel much larger and more urban and more interesting than Durham.

The Raleigh/Durham area is mostly suburban sprawl with lots of trees and the colleges. Just not really my thing I guess.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM

6 posts, read 9,783 times
Thanks to everyone for the input, even the guy who randomly assumed I was a troll. I definitely am looking for more of a city feel, which I just didn't get from Raleigh.

And I've never actually been to Charlotte but I really can't imagine it comparing to Chicago. Chicago is one of my favorite cities. If money wasn't one of the biggest deciding factors in where I move, I'd go there in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City