U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick the city of your choice for quality of life
Raleigh 15 42.86%
Colorado Springs 12 34.29%
Some mid sized city in California 8 22.86%
Other please specify the city 2 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM

437 posts, read 685,167 times

Advertisements

Over all quality of life how would you compare this places.
And before you scream unfair! yes I put all of California in there. I will let you fill in the city.

My criteria is the following:

living wages: how well can the average blue collar working live on one income (no roommates)
Weather: most Blue collar workers have to work outdoors so not nasty TX / AZ heat or Minnesota cold
People: how talkative are strangers at the local store. (and not the person paid to talk to you)
Outdoor activities: fishing, kayaking, sightseeing, cool road trips / attractions

I understand that California will probably win on weather and attractions. but will prob loose bigtime on cost of living and crime plus I think maybe some of the cities there have kind of a plastic personality thing going.

I believe you get what you pay for. if your rents are thru the roof, it prob because everyone wants to live there and vise-versa.

oh, and only mid size or greater cites please. (hard to find work in a small town middle of nowhere)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,013,097 times
What mid sized city in cali? Sacramento? Fresno? Bakersfield? Chico? Stockton? VisAlia?

Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
What mid sized city in cali? Sacramento? Fresno? Bakersfield? Chico? Stockton? VisAlia?
Sure, why not.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,477,640 times
Raleigh, no doubt.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Raleigh, no doubt.
What aspect of Raleigh stands out the most? For sure its not the weather, though it not bad compared to many states, its nowhere near say San diego. I bet its the people?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,714,508 times
Of the areas mentioned in this thread; Raleigh stands head and shoulders above the crowd to me. Granted I lived there for 13 years so that could just be bias. Also I just don't care for the western US as a place to live for the most part (though it does have stunning natural beauty in many areas and offers many wonderful travel destinations) and NoVa has crazy traffic and a very high COL (this also applies to much of California).

Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,477,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
What aspect of Raleigh stands out the most? For sure its not the weather, though it not bad compared to many states, its nowhere near say San diego. I bet its the people?
The Southern charm still lingers around and the people are very nice. The weather isn't that bad either. Plus, that Carolina air and the Piedmont canopy.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
The Southern charm still lingers around and the people are very nice. The weather isn't that bad either. Plus, that Carolina air and the Piedmont canopy.
What do you mean by Piedmont canopy? you like the rolling hills?

Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 AM

968 posts, read 1,903,681 times
Raleigh and Colorado Springs can't complete with Sacramento, California's capital. Sacramento's metro is home to 2.5 million residents. Raleigh and Co. Springs are better matched with Fresno, a similar sized metro.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 AM

13,312 posts, read 21,500,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Raleigh and Colorado Springs can't complete with Sacramento, California's capital. Sacramento's metro is home to 2.5 million residents. Raleigh and Co. Springs are better matched with Fresno, a similar sized metro.
Raleigh anchors the Triangle with 1.8 million people and growing very rapidly. Its total metro population is much larger than both Fresno and Colorado Springs. While you dismiss it for not being comparable to a metro of 2.5 million, you are now comparing it to metros with 700,000 to 1.1 million less people....sort of ironic if you ask me. If you go by primary Census statistical size alone, it's more comparable to Austin and Salt Lake City. If you are using other metrics then true, it's not comparable to Sacramento because Raleigh's a much more educated city with higher household & per capita incomes but with less poverty and a lower cost of living.

To the OP's question, be warned that Raleigh isn't a blue collar town as requested. Where Raleigh and the Triangle really shines is in white collar careers that pay very well in conjunction with a lower cost of living in comparison to other metros with similar types of workforces (Silicon Valley, Boston, NOVA, Seattle). If you come to the Triangle with a marketable trade skill, I think it could also be a good place to consider. However, if you come without a skill, it's not the sort of place with factory jobs waiting for your arrival.

To answer another question that the OP asked of another, the canopy refers to trees. Central North Carolina is naturally heavily forested. As for the terrain, it's generally rolling hills with variation from rather hilly to other areas that are somewhat flatter.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 02-24-2013 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City