Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 03:49 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Haha. Hot dish is common in outstate MN dish. The following is just some of the cuisine one will find in MPLS-STPL.
Lol. It'd be more impressive if those links took us to something Minneapolis related. I missed in the articles where Minneapolis-St. Paul was a hotbed for those cuisines.

Besides, I'm from Portland. We're familiar with all those ... don't need Wikipedia to explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:40 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Minneapolis has many old established institutions that are still some of the best in the US. They've got multiple art museums, multiple symphonies, an opera, and a ballet company that are all considered to be some of the best in the US. I would guess it has something to do with Minneapolis being older and developing faster when those sorts of attractions were a higher priority. Cleveland is another city that has a surprisingly strong arts scene compared to the size that it is today.
Minneapolis also has probably the best choral music scene in the Americas, and probably one of the top five or ten in the world, which is something many people don't consider or realize (I'm talking serious primarily a cappella choral music, not like glee clubs or even barbershop). The only competition in North America would be New York, or maybe Dallas/Houston if you lumped them together, but per capita, Minneapolis would come out on top. There are a ton of incredibly high-quality collegiate, amateur, and professional choirs that have come out of the Twin Cities/southeast Minnesota region.

Cantus: Cantus sings Franz Biebl's "Ave Maria" - YouTube
National Lutheran Choir: National Lutheran Choir - Phoenix Agnus Dei.mov - YouTube
VocalEssence Chorus: VocalEssence - What Sweeter Music by John Rutter - YouTube
VocalEssence Ensemble Singers: Eric Whitacre conducts "Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine" - YouTube
The Singers: "Benedictus" from AMASS - YouTube
The Rose Ensemble: The Rose Ensemble - YouTube
Dale Warland Singers: Dale Warland Singers- O Magnum Mysterium-Morten Lauridsen - YouTube
St. Olaf Choir: The St. Olaf Choir - The World Made New: Eleanor Roosevelt's Evening Prayer - YouTube
Luther Nordic Choir: Luther Nordic Choir. The Dying Soldier -arr. Nigel Short - YouTube

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. It'd be more impressive if those links took us to something Minneapolis related. I missed in the articles where Minneapolis-St. Paul was a hotbed for those cuisines.

Besides, I'm from Portland. We're familiar with all those ... don't need Wikipedia to explain it.
Minneapolis (and St. Paul) have some of the highest concentrations of most of those ethnic groups in the developed world. You may be from Portland, and you may have heard of all of those nationalities/ethnic groups, but you haven't experienced the culture and cuisine like we have

Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post

For me the food scene boils down ( no pun intended ) to the PNW's locally sourced fruits, vegetables, wines, coffees, microbrews, and seafood.
Just because Portland's microbrew or farmers' markets have been commercialized and mass-marketed more effectively than Minneapolis's, doesn't mean that they are better quality. The Twin Cities has a slew of great local breweries and microbreweries, several major farmers' markets. Local food is huge there, as is Halal.

Portland to me is just a place where people go to live in the '90's and pretend that they're trendy. It's so....cliche. No, thanks...

Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

MPLS - STPL has the largest Hmong and Somali populations in the US; one of the largest Eritrean, Tibetan, and Ethiopian populations; and sizable Vietnamese, Lao, and Burmese populations. Add in the remaining ethnicities within the central core and there is plenty of variety when it comes to food. BTW, there is plenty of locally sourced food, food trucks, and microbreweries here as well so, yeah. Plus I've experienced Portland, including its food scene. I wouldn't say it's better than what I have found in MPLS-STPL.

Last edited by YIMBY; 02-26-2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 07:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Minneapolis (and St. Paul) have some of the highest concentrations of most of those ethnic groups in the developed world. You may be from Portland, and you may have heard of all of those nationalities/ethnic groups, but you haven't experienced the culture and cuisine like we have
Portland(and Seattle as well) have significant concentrations of Ethiopians and other East African groups. In the N/NE Portland neighborhood where I used to live there's an area where every just about every other block has a East African market or Ethiopian restaurant. There's a lot of Vietnamese here since the 1970s/80s, good numbers of Chinese, and other SE Asian groups, in addition to a lot of Russians on the eastside. Within a mile or two radius from my house where I live on the eastside of Portland today, there's too many Vietnamese restaurants to count, two Cambodian restaurants, a lot of Dim Sum restaurants run by Hong Kong Chinese, several good Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurants, the biggest Asian shopping center in Oregon, Korean BBQs, Fillipino restaurants, a Lebanese grocery and restaurant, and several halal markets run by Somalis. You can find Laotian or Nepalese food in the metro as well, though our two Tibetan restaurants closed a while back and we don't have any Burmese restaurants though there is a Burmese market on 122nd. Add in the food carts downtown and you can find cheap ethnic food from just about every continent and region of the world.

Portland actually has a higher percentage of Asians than Minneapolis. Though St. Paul of course has a higher number--though it's about the same percentage as Beaverton just to the west of Portland and there's a good number of Asians in Hillsboro as well including a lot of East Indians. So don't believe the Portlandia hype that Portland is simply all white people, if you don't actually live here and have only experienced the gentrified tourist neighborhoods of inner Portland.

Quote:
Portland to me is just a place where people go to live in the '90's and pretend that they're trendy. It's so....cliche. No, thanks...
Yeah, whatever--you most likely don't know anything more about Portland then what you see on Portlandia...

Last edited by Deezus; 02-26-2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Portland(and Seattle as well) have significant concentrations of Ethiopians and other East African groups. In the N/NE Portland neighborhood where I used to live there's an area where every just about every other block has a East African market or Ethiopian restaurant. There's a lot of Vietnamese here since the 1970s/80s, good numbers of Chinese, and other SE Asian groups, in addition to a lot of Russians on the eastside. Within a mile or two radius from my house where I live on the eastside of Portland today, there's too many Vietnamese restaurants to count, two Cambodian restaurants, a lot of Dim Sum restaurants run by Hong Kong Chinese, several good Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurants, the biggest Asian shopping center in Oregon, Korean BBQs, Fillipino restaurants, a Lebanese grocery and restaurant, and several halal markets run by Somalis. You can find Laotian or Nepalese food in the metro as well, though our two Tibetan restaurants closed a while back and we don't have any Burmese restaurants though there is a Burmese market on 122nd. Add in the food carts downtown and you can find cheap ethnic food from just about every continent and region of the world.
I love dim sum. There are a few places in the TC area that serve it, but IMO, the best one, Jun Bo, was forced to close down about a year ago due to "public safety" concerns. I'm also a huge fan of pho - if you are ever in the MPLS-STPL and want pho, go to Pho Ca Dao off University Ave. in St. Paul.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:00 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I love dim sum. There are a few places in the TC area that serve it, but IMO, the best one, Jun Bo, was forced to close down about a year ago due to "public safety" concerns. I'm also a huge fan of pho - if you are ever in the MPLS-STPL and want pho, go to Pho Ca Dao off University Ave. in St. Paul.
Yeah, pho is delicious, I eat it a lot for lunch, though the best places in Portland are out on SE 82nd which is basically the new Chinatown or Asian shopping/food mecca for the region.

Are there a lot of Hmong restaurants in the Twin Cities? I ask because, I have a lot of family in the Central Valley of California and there's also one of the biggest population of Hmongs in the US in that region, though I don't remember ever seeing many specifically Hmong restaurants. I know they ran some of the Vietnamese and Thai restaurants in the area, which is of course two of the countries they came from originally, but I don't think I've ever specifically tried Hmong cuisine.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Pho places are every where in Seattle Metro. But Pho Than Brother chain is the largest . I usualy end up eatin at Pho Tai chain because there open 24hrs and on the main Interstates.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM

274 posts, read 705,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Minneapolis definitely has great Somalian, Hmong, and Ethiopian cuisine because it has large refugee populations from all three groups. However, some of the others are more suspect. I have no idea how the twin cities could be immersed in the culture of immigrant groups that likely number less than 1000 people. The Twin Cities does have high numbers of some of those groups compared to other places, but when the groups are so small they still have relatively little impact on the culture of the area as a whole. For example, Seattle has over 10,000 Ethiopian immigrants living in the area, yet I would hardly call the area "experienced" in Ethiopian culture or cuisine (which Seattle is also known to be strong in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City