Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:24 PM

13 posts, read 10,380 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. The time to move is coming up in mid August and I am still stuck on where to settle in. I am prior military I will have my bachelor's degree in May (majoring in Business Administration). Most of my work experience is mostly in human resources and administrative work(due to prior military and civilian experience). I have a five year old daughter and I'm looking for a good school district as well since my daughter starts kindergarten this year. I want to be somewhere that has a good economy and is ideal to raise a family in. My mother will be moving with me since she's getting older in age (will have some type of support). Our budget is $1600/month on 3 bedroom (I will be buying a home in 2 years). The cities on my list are Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Raleigh. Which city has the better:

Economy:

COL:

Nightlife:

Things to Do:

Restaurants:

Best Overall:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:23 AM

Anyone???

Old 04-18-2016, 08:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,289,237 times
Where is the child's other parent and does that parent have visitation rights?

Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Where is the child's other parent and does that parent have visitation rights?
He hasn't been around since she was born and made the choice of not being around (made threats towards me/my child; doesnt acknowledge her as his child). I only receive child support from him and that is it.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,197,163 times
What branch of service were you in? As a veteran myself, I would go with the area that has the most job listings on USAJOBS for your field. Out of those four cities, I'm not sure which has the highest amount of military installations nearby. While you're now a civilian, military personnel-heavy areas still offer the most opportunity for veterans. And since it seems you've narrowed your choices to Sunbelt cities, I'd have to recommend Washington, D.C. and its environs. Though it's not a true "Sunbelt" city, it is THE mecca for veterans, and offers a lot of high paying jobs (especially in admin/HR work). It also bests every other city on your list for your criteria, with weather being the only disadvantage when compared to the others.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM

Are there any other personal considerations such as proximity to other family, healthcare for your mom, weather preferences, etc? And where does your mom prefer?

You mentioned Houston but not San Antonio. San Antonio has a huge military and veteran presence. Since you mention being a veteran first and foremost, I think a military presence may be very important to you.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,567,859 times
Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh. In order, from my experiences:

Economy: All have great economies

COL: It's close between Houston/Charlotte/Atlanta. Raleigh's a tad more expensive, but not by much.

Nightlife: Have no idea.

Things to Do: Atlanta, Charlotte/Houston tie (before the hating starts, I've been to Houston. There's a lot to do, but people don't realize how much there is to do in the Charlotte area. I live here and we're never bored). Raleigh, not much to do compared to the other metros.

Restaurants: Houston/Atlanta tie, Charlotte, Raleigh.

Best Overall: I would say Houston, Charlotte, or Atlanta; a toss up.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:51 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,552,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Are there any other personal considerations such as proximity to other family, healthcare for your mom, weather preferences, etc? And where does your mom prefer?

You mentioned Houston but not San Antonio. San Antonio has a huge military and veteran presence. Since you mention being a veteran first and foremost, I think a military presence may be very important to you.
Also Hampton Roads.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Also Hampton Roads.
Very true. That being said, and having spent a lot of time in both areas, I'd say that in Hampton Roads, the military/government presence is almost overwhelming, while in San Antonio it's a bit more balanced by other industries, cities, lifestyles, etc. Remember that Austin is not far away - in fact, it's nothing but one big metro area down there between Austin and San Antonio.

Both areas have some pretty awesome traits. Personally I could be happy, and comfortable raising family, in either one.

But neither of these made the OP's list - LOL!

Another city (albeit a smaller one) with military presence that's not overwhelming but is strong is Columbus, GA. And the area between Columbus and Atlanta is beautiful and offers close proximity to either city without having to actually live IN either city - it tends to be a prosperous, family friendly area (I'm thinking about 30 minutes north of Columbus in Harris County, GA for example).

Old 04-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
What branch of service were you in? As a veteran myself, I would go with the area that has the most job listings on USAJOBS for your field. Out of those four cities, I'm not sure which has the highest amount of military installations nearby. While you're now a civilian, military personnel-heavy areas still offer the most opportunity for veterans. And since it seems you've narrowed your choices to Sunbelt cities, I'd have to recommend Washington, D.C. and its environs. Though it's not a true "Sunbelt" city, it is THE mecca for veterans, and offers a lot of high paying jobs (especially in admin/HR work). It also bests every other city on your list for your criteria, with weather being the only disadvantage when compared to the others.
I was in the Army. I was thinking about Washington DC and surrounding areas, but the cost of living made me change my mind lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City