Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is most southern in culture in 2013?
Raleigh 1 3.70%
Nashville 20 74.07%
Charlotte 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 8 days ago)

5,740 posts, read 5,498,102 times

Advertisements

^^^I didnt call Charlotte or Raleigh northern metros. My point was that they are still healthy and full of 'southern charm', although, there are more Northeastern transplants there. Neither city is northern-esque, and I listed out northern cities as comparison to drive home my point. Thats all I was saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:25 PM

84 posts, read 145,627 times
2 years later, it seems that this still holds true, although Nashville is getting a large amount of transplants from the north as well. Interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
I'm still not sure how Nashville is any more southern than Charlotte or Raleigh...no one can seem to accurately explain it. The answer is: it's not.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm still not sure how Nashville is any more southern than Charlotte or Raleigh...no one can seem to accurately explain it. The answer is: it's not.
It's probably because of Nashville's country music heritage and status as a bastion of evangelical Protestantism.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:07 PM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's probably because of Nashville's country music heritage and status as a bastion of evangelical Protestantism.
Aside from the country music, Charlotte can claim this as well.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Aside from the country music, Charlotte can claim this as well.
True but not quite to the extent of Nashville which is nicknamed the Protestant Vatican because it's home to the headquarters/major operations of major evangelical Protestant denominations like the Southern Baptist Convention, the National Baptist Convention USA, the United Methodist Church, etc. as well as several Christian music recording companies and publishing companies.

When it comes to hallmarks of Southern culture, I think the poll is largely correct with Nashville coming in first, Charlotte second, and Raleigh third.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 AM

44 posts, read 190,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True but not quite to the extent of Nashville which is nicknamed the Protestant Vatican because it's home to the headquarters/major operations of major evangelical Protestant denominations like the Southern Baptist Convention, the National Baptist Convention USA, the United Methodist Church, etc. as well as several Christian music recording companies and publishing companies.

When it comes to hallmarks of Southern culture, I think the poll is largely correct with Nashville coming in first, Charlotte second, and Raleigh third.
I agree with this as well. Raleigh is a very new city and has seen significant growth in the past 15 years alone. Newer cities just aren't going to have the traditional southern vibe as the older cities. Since Nashville is older, it has a lot more affluent culture than Raleigh and Charlotte. I've always felt the Triangle is more suburbia than anything else. Don't get me wrong.. Raleigh is an excellent place to live, work and get an education but what kind of culture does it truly have? Charlotte is also a very new city because it has had impressive growth recently and is creating its image as a banking hub, attracting many northern transplants. However, I'd still say Charlotte has a bit more cultural presence than Raleigh-Durham. Nashville most certainly has the traditional southern culture with the older churches, country music scene, southern food, etc..

Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg09 View Post
I agree with this as well. Raleigh is a very new city and has seen significant growth in the past 15 years alone. Newer cities just aren't going to have the traditional southern vibe as the older cities. Since Nashville is older, it has a lot more affluent culture than Raleigh and Charlotte. I've always felt the Triangle is more suburbia than anything else. Don't get me wrong.. Raleigh is an excellent place to live, work and get an education but what kind of culture does it truly have? Charlotte is also a very new city because it has had impressive growth recently and is creating its image as a banking hub, attracting many northern transplants. However, I'd still say Charlotte has a bit more cultural presence than Raleigh-Durham. Nashville most certainly has the traditional southern culture with the older churches, country music scene, southern food, etc..
Are we really talking about a traditional southern vibe? There isn't really a major southern city that has much of that in 2015...you mostly find a modern southern vibe. And Charlotte is about as new a city as Raleigh when you think about it; they both became prominent cities at about the same time, and Raleigh is much older in actuality than many give it credit for being.

I just don't see a significant difference in any of these booming southern cities...they are all southern, but in the modern sense of the word. Nashville seems to have more historic charm and architecture but that doesn't make it more southern - just more historic. Country music has grown far beyond the South and is not so much a southern thing anymore.

Churches are wildly abundant in each of these cities, but the Billy Graham Ministries coming out of Charlotte really puts that city over the edge to me. And don't forget Jim and Tammy and other such types of nonsense in that city. Large evangelical churches are another factor that aren't all that southern in nature...look at the wide range of cities on this list, many of them in California: List of the largest Protestant churches in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,189,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Are we really talking about a traditional southern vibe? There isn't really a major southern city that has much of that in 2015...you mostly find a modern southern vibe. And Charlotte is about as new a city as Raleigh when you think about it; they both became prominent cities at about the same time, and Raleigh is much older in actuality than many give it credit for being.

I just don't see a significant difference in any of these booming southern cities...they are all southern, but in the modern sense of the word. Nashville seems to have more historic charm and architecture but that doesn't make it more southern - just more historic. Country music has grown far beyond the South and is not so much a southern thing anymore.

Churches are wildly abundant in each of these cities, but the Billy Graham Ministries coming out of Charlotte really puts that city over the edge to me. And don't forget Jim and Tammy and other such types of nonsense in that city. Large evangelical churches are another factor that aren't all that southern in nature...look at the wide range of cities on this list, many of them in California: List of the largest Protestant churches in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly, there are many Jewish synagogues, Buddhist temples, Catholic churches, mosques, etc. in Nashville because it is a diverse city. The "city is more southern because of country music glasses" have to come off. There are many other factors that make cities southern and no one has proven which one is most southern. They are all still very southern (that's not a negative thing), and that won't change soon no matter how many hipsters or craft breweries come to town.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Exactly, there are many Jewish synagogues, Buddhist temples, Catholic churches, mosques, etc. in Nashville because it is a diverse city. The "city is more southern because of country music glasses" have to come off. There are many other factors that make cities southern and no one has proven which one is most southern. They are all still very southern (that's not a negative thing), and that won't change soon no matter how many hipsters or craft breweries come to town.
While country music has indeed become mainstream, the roots of the genre are Southern and it can be found in its purest form in Nashville. Many other Southern cultural characteristics hold constant across these cities, but the music as well as a huge evangelical Protestant presence--which is most concentrated in the South--are the two factors that put Nashville on top for me. As you said, it's not a negative thing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City