Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 AM

507 posts, read 806,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I have cousins who just moved out to LA, they're Black, and they seem to like it pretty well. No Mexican vs Black tension from what I've heard from them. Folks make it seem like Blacks just can't survive in Los Angeles. If it bleeds it leads, that's what I always hear.
People with little to no experience in LA are making very generalized assumptions and opinions on nearly 6 million people in the greater LA area

Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
LOL you're one funny dude, please don't try and take what I said out of context because I was merely talking about the incidents that have been published you really can't be that dense And what is this about the unknown? Do you really think in a city as diverse as LA hispanic people will be somehow sheltered from seeing black people LOL look bro just stick to what you know which is Norcal you obviously don't understand the gang culture out here, don't try and talk like you know what's going on around here 500 miles away, just because you visited here and got some stares doesn't make you an expert of the issues out here, take this from someone who was born and raised out here.
Where did I say they're sheltered from seeing black people? My point was that in segregated ethnic enclaves ignorance about other groups tends to be compounded as opposed to neighborhoods where said groups live next to each other. More to the point, my earlier comment about stares had zero to do with the gang culture and everything to do with feeling as though more people were giving me weird looks than I had expected in a city as big and cosmopolitan as LA, particularly when talking about a neighborhood that's literally a mile outside of downtown. Why that concept was difficult for you to grasp, I don't know.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Quote:
There's plenty of "Chicano Oldies" featuring Soul, Funk, RnB, Surf Rock, Latin Rock, Chicano Rock from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Everything from Marvin Gaye, to The Temtations, to Ritchie Valenz(La Bamba).

I guess Chicanos in the Bay aren't like that, after all, they take after the Black kids that transitioned to more Bay Area and Hyphy Rap. Not a bad thing but it's an interesting observation, by me not being from CA.

But when I lived in Texas, and in learning the Chicano history of the state, it seemed like in certain parts of the state, Mexican-Americans back in the day(50's, 60's, 70's) took after that more traditional "Pachuco" Chicano culture that was popularized by CA.

From what I recall....and I say this based on my partner & his family...(family from El Paso/Jaurez, and he came up in Sacramento CA)...that old school Pachuco/Chicano culture..which was sort of hybrid thing...borrowing a lot of US pop culture things... lasted into the 1970s at least (when my partner was coming up), and that oldies musical style (i called it "low rider music") lasted into the 1980s (when I lived in Califas). But they deffo made the distinction btw their style and "The Nationals" (what they called Mexicans from Mexico).

This was all a long time ago. But you sort of saw this updating of Chicano style in that move "Mi Vida Loca"....

Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
ITT: A bunch of people who aren't Mexican commenting on Mexicans (and lol trying to generalize 6 million people in the LA area).

Also a bunch of people who've never lived in LA, or were never locked up talking about gang culture. As someone who grew up in a gang infested area and actually was locked up in a CYA (California Youth Authority) facility, most of you people are full of it.

I'm not Mexican, but I do speak Spanish and have best friends who are Mexican (one of which I actually drove down to Mexico with a few years ago), all this stuff about 'racism' and yadda yadda live in a different reality than I do. I just went for a run outside past a bunch of apartment complexes which are majority Latino, and none of them really cared what I was doing.

Let's stray away from the anecdote route because I have stories too, many of which involve my Mexican friends protecting me from ABZ (Asian Boys) gangbangers, but hey you can't verify it, so its useless to try.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Where did I say they're sheltered from seeing black people? My point was that in segregated ethnic enclaves ignorance about other groups tends to be compounded as opposed to neighborhoods where said groups live next to each other. More to the point, my earlier comment about stares had zero to do with the gang culture and everything to do with feeling as though more people were giving me weird looks than I had expected in a city as big and cosmopolitan as LA, particularly when talking about a neighborhood that's literally a mile outside of downtown. Why that concept was difficult for you to grasp, I don't know.
A black guy from Norcal trying to school native Angelenos about the Mexican culture out here, now that's something I'm having difficulty grasping.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
ITT: A bunch of people who aren't Mexican commenting on Mexicans (and lol trying to generalize 6 million people in the LA area).

Also a bunch of people who've never lived in LA, or were never locked up talking about gang culture. As someone who grew up in a gang infested area and actually was locked up in a CYA (California Youth Authority) facility, most of you people are full of it.

I'm not Mexican, but I do speak Spanish and have best friends who are Mexican (one of which I actually drove down to Mexico with a few years ago), all this stuff about 'racism' and yadda yadda live in a different reality than I do. I just went for a run outside past a bunch of apartment complexes which are majority Latino, and none of them really cared what I was doing.

Let's stray away from the anecdote route because I have stories too, many of which involve my Mexican friends protecting me from ABZ (Asian Boys) gangbangers, but hey you can't verify it, so its useless to try.
LOL where you from again? Northridge?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
LOL where you from again? Northridge?
North Hollywood, Tujunga and Victory

Just because I live somewhere else now (because unlike you, I have a good paying job and helping my parents pay for a decent house) doesn't mean you aren't full of s*it

Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
North Hollywood, Tujunga and Victory

Just because I live somewhere else now (because unlike you, I have a good paying job and helping my parents pay for a decent house) doesn't mean you aren't full of s*it
Good for you, now go back to crunching numbers, something I can actually believe LOL, and I guarantee you that you don't make that much than me if at all, but there's no way of proving that right

Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Back to the topic on hand, it's hard to generalize 6 million people who all happen to live in the same general area

IIRC the average black person in the LA area lives in a census tract that is 43% Hispanic, so obviously it's not a huge widespread thing that all Latinos hate blacks. The gang element really shouldn't be the voice of millions of people, though it is a vocal minority that does have an QOL effect. However if for the most part, you mind your business and do your thing, you should be fine

Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Back to the topic on hand, it's hard to generalize 6 million people who all happen to live in the same general area

IIRC the average black person in the LA area lives in a census tract that is 43% Hispanic, so obviously it's not a huge widespread thing that all Latinos hate blacks. The gang element really shouldn't be the voice of millions of people, though it is a vocal minority that does have an QOL effect. However if for the most part, you mind your business and do your thing, you should be fine
Isn't that what I've basically already have said in previous posts? It's your "people who have never been locked up, talking about gang culture" dig at me that I didn't appreciate, other than that I think we're both on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City