Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the Next It City
Birmingham 7 33.33%
Little Rock 0 0%
Memphis 2 9.52%
A place not listed 12 57.14%
Louisville 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:07 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,896,793 times

Advertisements

There's always talk of the "Next Atlanta", whatever that means, What about the Next Nashville. Birmingham Memphis or Little Rock, Which of these Cities has the Potential, and the Momentum of becoming the next "it city" the next most popular city in the south, a fun city, a vibrant and thriving city with a renowned cultural scene

These cities don't get much respect on city data but I have to admit I have been surprised by all three lately. Really all four including Nashville itself.

Jus in the Last 2 years alone Nashville has added a new ballpark, amphitheater along the riverfront a Spanking Brand New convention center, New Hotels, Landed Bridgestone HQ in Downtown and adding new sparkling skyscrapers and condos all over the place

Memphis in the last two years has added a new beale street landing along it's river front, reopened it's pyramid is getting it's first Ikea, is building a new mall in it's Mississippi surburbs and is about to start construction of it's first new downtown skyscraper in years

Im sure the same can be said of Birmingham and Little Rock, Little Rock is a very progressive city for it's size. and Birmingham is pouring billions in it's downtown.

As you can see, All of these cities are quickly evolving, As such the common City Data opinions of these cities are sometimes not accurate/outdated. i.e "Nashville is all country". Therefore do no answer this thread Unless you have been to at least one of cities in the last 12 months

If the last time you been to Nashville was 2010 do not answer this thread if the Last time you been to Birmingham was 2013 do not answer this thread if the last time you been to Memphis was 2008 do not answer this thread and so forth with Little Rock.

Do Not Answer Unless you have been to one of these cities in the last 12 months

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 10-24-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 11:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
There is no "next Nashville."

Old 10-24-2015, 12:08 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I've been to Nashville and Memphis in the last 12 months.

If Memphis where to boom it would do so in a totally different way than Nashville. One thing that would kick Memphis growth into high gear would be a major passenger airline hub.

Nashville hasn't advanced to the point of being a place other cities would pattern or want to model after. Yet.

As an outsider, I still don't think anything of Nashville after I leave except I had fun visiting family.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
Birmingham does seem to finally have a little bit of positive momentum, but my pick for the next "it" city in the south is one that you didn't list: Fayetteville, Arkansas. Fayetteville is significantly smaller than the places you listed, but I think it has more chance of becoming a hot destination. It has natural beauty with the mountains, a big university, and lots of money with the Walton family. The nearby Crystal Springs art museum is really nice and when I go there it seems more up and coming that the other places you listed. The population growth of Northwest Arkansas compared to the others and it is no contest.

BTW, I have been to Fayetteville, B'ham, and Little Rock in the last 12-15 months.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:03 PM

84 posts, read 146,894 times
Memphis is a dump and run poorly on every level, if it is in anyway on your "list" of up and coming cities, you need to take a roadtrip to some different cities.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:15 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Birmingham does seem to finally have a little bit of positive momentum, but my pick for the next "it" city in the south is one that you didn't list: Fayetteville, Arkansas. Fayetteville is significantly smaller than the places you listed, but I think it has more chance of becoming a hot destination. It has natural beauty with the mountains, a big university, and lots of money with the Walton family. The nearby Crystal Springs art museum is really nice and when I go there it seems more up and coming that the other places you listed. The population growth of Northwest Arkansas compared to the others and it is no contest.

BTW, I have been to Fayetteville, B'ham, and Little Rock in the last 12-15 months.
I don't know about Fayetteville. Their urban fabric is too small to absorb that much growth. I know this forum tends to glorify density, but with NWA it's actually really important-either they're going to have to completely redefine how they're growing (highly unlikely, given how developers tend to lean), or their traffic issues will get to a point where they hinder the metro's growth entirely.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
There's always talk of the "Next Atlanta", whatever that means, What about the Next Nashville. Birmingham Memphis or Little Rock, Which of these Cities has the Potential, and the Momentum of becoming the next "it city" the next most popular city in the south, a fun city, a vibrant and thriving city with a renowned cultural scene

These cities don't get much respect on city data but I have to admit I have been surprised by all three lately. Really all four including Nashville itself.

Jus in the Last 2 years alone Nashville has added a new ballpark, amphitheater along the riverfront a Spanking Brand New convention center, New Hotels, Landed Bridgestone HQ in Downtown and adding new sparkling skyscrapers and condos all over the place

Memphis in the last two years has added a new beale street landing along it's river front, reopened it's pyramid is getting it's first Ikea, is building a new mall in it's Mississippi surburbs and is about to start construction of it's first new downtown skyscraper in years

Im sure the same can be said of Birmingham and Little Rock, Little Rock is a very progressive city for it's size. and Birmingham is pouring billions in it's downtown.

As you can see, All of these cities are quickly evolving, As such the common City Data opinions of these cities are sometimes not accurate/outdated. i.e "Nashville is all country". Therefore do no answer this thread Unless you have been to at least one of cities in the last 12 months

If the last time you been to Nashville was 2010 do not answer this thread if the Last time you been to Birmingham was 2013 do not answer this thread if the last time you been to Memphis was 2008 do not answer this thread and so forth with Little Rock.

Do Not Answer Unless you have been to one of these cities in the last 12 months
Louisville. A lot more growth than any of these cities, especially in its urban areas, and the largest of the bunch along with Memphis, which are nearly identical in size. really, though, the entire I65 corridor from Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, to Birmingham, is doing great.

When you think about it, this patterns the growth going on in the interior west. People are moving away from the pricey coasts. So folks used to the east coast are finding some nice cities with decent weather along the I65 corridor that are less than a 2 hour flight to their homes. Ditto what is going on in the interior west. Think about from Phoenix to Salt Lake, Vegas to Denver, and down to Albuquerque. My opinion is the growth of these areas will be the city story of the 21st century as the population in the coastal megapoli hold steady.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:34 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,896,793 times
I think Huntsville belongs in this discussion

Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
Neither. This is like calling Nashville the next Charlotte.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:24 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I think Huntsville belongs in this discussion
Huntsville would probably be more like the next Raleigh than the next Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.