U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is least Southern
Northern Virginia 77 43.75%
South Florida 99 56.25%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,961,809 times

Advertisements

Both areas have people who migrated from other parts of the US, and don't feel Southern. But which area has less Southern culture?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM

36,220 posts, read 35,001,447 times
I'll go with South Florida since it has less antebellum history.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 7,936,059 times
They are both southern...I don't get this obsession with labeling areas of the South as un-southern simply because they aren't stereotypically southern. The South is a diverse region with all kinds of people and places, and the two areas in question are solidly part of it.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM

4,568 posts, read 7,023,415 times
South Florida, and it quite frankly isn't even close.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM

992 posts, read 2,709,742 times
I would say South Florida. Once you get a good ways away from the DC area in NOVA you will feel like you're in the South. South Florida on the other hand feels like a totally different place....you have to travel quite a ways north(Orlando northward) until the area starts feeling like the South.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM

5,048 posts, read 8,582,171 times
South Florida is like the boroughs of NY.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM

14,260 posts, read 24,863,275 times
You can make a case for both being Southern and not being Southern. SoFla's Black communities are as Southern as anywhere else in the South. But as Mutiny77 pointed out, South Florida has almost 0 antibellum history. I mean, there were forts in South Florida, but they weren't confederate forts, they were forts built by US Army soldier during the Seminole Wars in the 1800's. Miami wasn't even incorporated as an official city until 1896. A good 30+ years after the Civil War.

Through most of it's history the areas incorporating South Florida went from being home of the Tequesta Indians,

to Spanish settlements,

to British settlements,

to an area for squating Bahamians,

there was a short 6yr period of slavery in Miami of Bahamians who worked on sugar plantations for Richard Fitzpatrick(veteran of American War of Independace and Whig politician), but they were freed after 6yrs, and the plantations were closed,

then there were 2 wars with Seminole Indians, then SoFla to became an small settlement area for families from elsewhere in the US, and then becoming a farming community for many tropical fruit not found elsewhere in the US,

then in 1896 the falgship fort of South Florida(Fort Dallas) became a city(Miami),

then resort towns started popping up all over South Florida,

THEN came Southern American-Blacks,

THEN came Southern American Whites(post-WW2)

THEN came Cubans(in Miam),

THEN the Southern Whites started leaving in droves,

THEN came more folks from the Caribbean and Latin-America

such as Haitians(all over South Florida),

Guatemalans(in Palm Beach),

then Jamaicans(in Broward County),

And that's basically the history of SoFla in a nutshell. It has very little Antebellum-related history but ALOT of Southern Blacks remain and call South Florida home. Hardly what I'd call a borough of NY. As more Florida kids are being born and more folks migrate from Latin-America, the NY influence is dying out. They aren't moving to South Florida in droves from retirement like they used to.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM

5,048 posts, read 8,582,171 times
"Hardly what I'd call a borough of NY. As more Florida kids are being born and more folks migrate from Latin-America, the NY influence is dying out. "

You don't think there's Latin Americans in NY?, various Hispanic people, Jamaicans? Moreso than the flavor of DC there are many caucasions who also retain their connections, accents, attitudes that are very NY.

That and the fact that So. Florida has such a high Jewish population...some say 2nd in the country and an enormous and cotinually growing Catholic population reminds me greatly of NY much moreso than of DC...and I've lived in all three for many many years and while doing so visited the others.

Seems like there are more, and more casually expressed, Pesach dinners in resorts and restaurants in So. Fla advertised as a matter of course in the news media.

Last edited by cully; 03-14-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM

30,065 posts, read 30,280,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You can make a case for both being Southern and not being Southern. SoFla's Black communities are as Southern as anywhere else in the South. But as Mutiny77 pointed out, South Florida has almost 0 antibellum history. I mean, there were forts in South Florida, but they weren't confederate forts, they were forts built by US Army soldier during the Seminole Wars in the 1800's. Miami wasn't even incorporated as an official city until 1896. A good 30+ years after the Civil War.

Through most of it's history the areas incorporating South Florida went from being home of the Tequesta Indians,

to Spanish settlements,

to British settlements,

to an area for squating Bahamians,

there was a short 6yr period of slavery in Miami of Bahamians who worked on sugar plantations for Richard Fitzpatrick(veteran of American War of Independace and Whig politician), but they were freed after 6yrs, and the plantations were closed,

then there were 2 wars with Seminole Indians, then SoFla to became an small settlement area for families from elsewhere in the US, and then becoming a farming community for many tropical fruit not found elsewhere in the US,

then in 1896 the falgship fort of South Florida(Fort Dallas) became a city(Miami),

then resort towns started popping up all over South Florida,

THEN came Southern American-Blacks,

THEN came Southern American Whites(post-WW2)

THEN came Cubans(in Miam),

THEN the Southern Whites started leaving in droves,

THEN came more folks from the Caribbean and Latin-America

such as Haitians(all over South Florida),

Guatemalans(in Palm Beach),

then Jamaicans(in Broward County),

And that's basically the history of SoFla in a nutshell. It has very little Antebellum-related history but ALOT of Southern Blacks remain and call South Florida home. Hardly what I'd call a borough of NY. As more Florida kids are being born and more folks migrate from Latin-America, the NY influence is dying out. They aren't moving to South Florida in droves from retirement like they used to.
Not a bad synopsis. But I think you may have omitted the part about the 1.7 million Jews from the Northeast, Brazil, the Caribbean and the rest of Latin America. There are a lot of Italians in Miami as well.

And some black people complain about Miami because they say it has too many foreign-born blacks. The Southern Black influence down there is not nearly as strong as the Southern Black influence in the DC area.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 PM

14,260 posts, read 24,863,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
"Hardly what I'd call a borough of NY. As more Florida kids are being born and more folks migrate from Latin-America, the NY influence is dying out. "

You don't think there's Latin Americans in NY?, various Hispanic people, Jamaicans? Moreso than the flavor of DC there are many caucasions who also retain their connections, accents, attitudes that are very NY.

That and the fact that So. Florida has such a high Jewish population...some say 2nd in the country and an enormous and cotinually growing Catholic population reminds me greatly of NY much moreso than of DC...and I've lived in all three for many many years and while doing so visited the others.

Seems like there are more, and more casually expressed, Pesach dinners in resorts and restaurants in So. Fla advertised as a matter of course in the news media.
That doesn't make SoFla like NY, that just makes South Florida a diverse Southern metro. A large latin-american, and Jewish, and Italian population doesn't make a place "the sixth borough". What seperates South Florida from NY culturally, is the abundace of Black Southerners. I know, I know, alot of the Blacks in NY have ancestory in the South, and you can find Black Southerners who migrated to NY for work, but NY doesn't have that Southern American/Caribbean hybrid that is prevelant in South Florida. There are Bahamians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Bajans, etc that speak with Balck Southern accents, and have created hybrid Southern/Caribbean cuisines(Floribbean). I think this community of Caribbean Southerners have largely been ignored in discussions about South Florida. I posted this in another thread:

NFL PLAYERS "Helmets Off" Featuring the Rolle Family (Part 1) - YouTube

Floribbean cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City