U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 02:42 PM

10,266 posts, read 12,047,393 times

Advertisements

Which urban park do you like the best?

Aesthetics
Amenities
Ease of Use
Connectivity
Vibrancy
Layout
Entertainment
Food (on park grounds)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM

287 posts, read 286,837 times
Rittenhouse Square is infinitely better than Union Square, and I have been to both places. I'll give Union Square a plus for having farmers markets and a subway stop, but that's it. Rittenhouse Square is the epitome of a classical urban park and NO PLACE in the country can top it. Seriously all the comparisons to Philly is insulting to this great city.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 PM

1,166 posts, read 2,628,320 times
Despite my NYC bias, my vote goes to Rittenhouse Square. There is a bit more going on in and around Union Square, but Rittenhouse Square just might be the most gorgeous public square in the US.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM

22,402 posts, read 33,583,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Despite my NYC bias, my vote goes to Rittenhouse Square. There is a bit more going on in and around Union Square, but Rittenhouse Square just might be the most gorgeous public square in the US.
Rittenhouse is a great space, truly

Rittenhouse is also centered around much of the most vibrant section in Philly. Union in NYC is not too shabby either but on this I would probably say Rittenhouse Sq

rittenhouse square - Google Search

Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 AM

725 posts, read 1,046,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I agree, Rittenhouse Square is very gorgeous especially during spring. An amazing neighberhood/architecture/scenery, and this happened's to be a very, very vibrant place that only about 3 cities in the US, has something to compare to, because it was around since the founding of this country.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 AM

29,689 posts, read 28,069,481 times
Aesthetics: Rittenhouse. It's more intimate with a greater sense of enclosure than Union Square. The landscaping is also better, imo.

Amenities: Union Square wins this category by virtue of being in Manhattan. People often say Center City is like Manhattan, which is true in many ways, but it can't be more Manhattan than Manhattan. There's a lot to do around Rittenhouse Square, but I think you'd have to award this one to Union Square.

On the other hand, if we're talking about what's immediately surrounding either park, then there's not that big a difference. Union Square has a Whole Foods so maybe that pushes it ahead. They are both excellent as far as amenities go. Both are Top 5 urban parks in the nation. Both are probably among the best urban parks in the whole world.

Ease of Use: It's a total and complete draw. Both are very easily accessible. Union Square gets more crowded so perhaps that makes it "harder" to use.

Connectivity: Again, it's a draw. If anything, I'd give a slight edge to Rittenhouse because the surrounding streets are narrower. But this is not a material difference between the two areas in the least.

Vibrancy: In terms of total raw energy, it's Union Sq. hands down, even though Rittenhouse has a nice, mellow type of vibrancy that's more similar to what you experience in Washington Square Park, imo.

Layout: I prefer Rittenhouse here. I like the symmetry.

Entertainment: There's more going on around Union Square on an average day. So I'd say Union Square.

Food: On the grounds? Well, Union Square.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 4,938,515 times
I wonder why Union Square is the Manhattan park picked for this comparison, as opposed to Bryant Park, Washington Square or Madison Square Park (all of which I think are more similar to Rittenhouse)?

Also, the area right around Gramercy Park feels a lot like Rittenhouse, but the fact that the park itself is gated makes it a bad comparison.

One other thing is that Rittenhouse has been a more of less very nice place to be basically forever. Whereas not so many years ago Union Square was unsafe, and a huge junkie hangout.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 PM

22,402 posts, read 33,583,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I wonder why Union Square is the Manhattan park picked for this comparison, as opposed to Bryant Park, Washington Square or Madison Square Park (all of which I think are more similar to Rittenhouse)?

Also, the area right around Gramercy Park feels a lot like Rittenhouse, but the fact that the park itself is gated makes it a bad comparison.

One other thing is that Rittenhouse has been a more of less very nice place to be basically forever. Whereas not so many years ago Union Square was unsafe, and a huge junkie hangout.
Except when Eddie Murphy was carting around it in Trading Places

Trading Places (1983) Trailer - YouTube

I think Washington Sq in NYC looks a lot like the buildingd that sorround Rittenhouse, always looked similar to me

NYC has many great parks

Maybe this should have been the two Washington Sqs though

Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM

29,689 posts, read 28,069,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Except when Eddie Murphy was carting around it in Trading Places

Trading Places (1983) Trailer - YouTube

I think Washington Sq in NYC looks a lot like the buildingd that sorround Rittenhouse, always looked similar to me

NYC has many great parks

Maybe this should have been the two Washington Sqs though
It's crazy seeing those guys so young and then looking at them today. They are both two of my favorite comedians. If only Eddie Murphy had taken Murray and Aykroyd up on their offer to be Winston in Ghostbusters (sigh). It may have gone from being just a funny movie to funniest movie of all time.

No disrespect to Ernie Hudson.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:53 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,413,881 times
I have been to Union Square the place is pretty impressive. Reminds me of Indy's Monument Circle with the way the steps sort of circles around but with a subway station and more crowds. As I travel state to state I will need to visit Rittenhouse Sq. before I say which one is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or