Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM

109 posts, read 127,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Tampa's metro is no where near 4 million. The census estimates put us at about 2.8 million.

The economy sucks because for decades the only thing holding this metro economy up was the housing market and hospitality/service jobs. Even today, about the best type of job you can hope to find in this city would be as a part time waiter.

I am very lucky. Tampa only has one major company headquartered here and I happen to work for them. I really wish I had other options though......
Come move to Orlando....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,231,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Miami's CSA now reaches to Vero Beach? It's 138 miles!
Nashville's CSA now has a diagonal stretch from western Lawrence County (on the Alabama border) to eastern Macon County (on the Kentucky border) of 151 miles. It would take about 3.5 hours to traverse. Our CSA covers 7,768 square miles. Insane. Only 811 square miles of that falls into the urban area/urban cluster category.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,537,439 times
When will the demographic estimates for 2012 be released?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,284,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Exactly why I am glad I didn't go to graduate school at USF.
I don't think you made a wrong choice. On top of the economy being terrible the city is just completely lacking in culture. I can't wait to get out of here.

Last edited by CravingMountains; 03-18-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areed View Post
Come move to Orlando....
My mom keeps begging me to move to Orlando instead of move out of state. Haha. My mother (and her whole family in fact) moved to Florida from Kentucky. None of them can possibly understand why someone would want to leave this state. I hate it here. The first chance I get I am moving to the Northeast.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM

37,755 posts, read 41,312,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
From the looks of things Miami is growing faster now. Maybe Atlantas growth is slowing. That may work in its favor. I know they have some awesome projects that will be worked out over the next few years that could take it to the next level.
I think it's probably international migration that fuels a large part of Miami's growth.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Atlanta should never have dabbled in the real estate bubble as extensively as it did. Outside of Florida it has had the worst real estate collapse in the South. My roommate has two condos in Midtown and the value on both just continues to drop year after year. The city also never brought its unemployment rate down, which is still above 8% (not sure why).

Atlanta also has a lot of bad parts of town, which will scare away families from moving there. I think if it wasn't for the nice climate, low taxes, and pretty scenery (North Georgia is gorgeous), it wouldn't be nearly on the scale that it is today.

It would be cool if Atlanta could get back to the 3% growth rates that it had prior to the recession, but I don't think that will ever happen. I really like that city.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM

37,755 posts, read 41,312,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Atlanta should never have dabbled in the real estate bubble as extensively as it did. Outside of Florida it has had the worst real estate collapse in the South. My roommate has two condos in Midtown and the value on both just continues to drop year after year. The city also never brought its unemployment rate down, which is still above 8% (not sure why).
Unfortunately, you're right about this. Once the housing market truly starts mending, then I think you'll see everything else fall in line.

Quote:
Atlanta also has a lot of bad parts of town, which will scare away families from moving there.
This isn't quite accurate. The hoods of Atlanta proper are mainly to the west and south, so they can easily be avoided. Families simply opt for the 'burbs, for the most part.

Quote:
I think if it wasn't for the nice climate, low taxes, and pretty scenery (North Georgia is gorgeous), it wouldn't be nearly on the scale that it is today.
I don't think you know too much about Atlanta's history. If those were the primary reasons, then Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham, etc. would all be just as large as Atlanta--but they obviously aren't.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it's probably international migration that fuels a large part of Miami's growth.
Miami is one of the few cities in America that saw population growth get bigger post recession. I have no idea why.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Unfortunately, you're right about this. Once the housing market truly starts mending, then I think you'll see everything else fall in line.

This isn't quite accurate. The hoods of Atlanta proper are mainly to the west and south, so they can easily be avoided. Families simply opt for the 'burbs, for the most part.

I don't think you know too much about Atlanta's history. If those were the primary reasons, then Chattanooga, Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham, etc. would all be just as large as Atlanta--but they obviously aren't.
I lived in Midtown for a Summer back in 2010. Atlanta definitely has hoods in more places than the South and West. Even the gentrified urban neighborhoods of Midtown are scary to walk around in at night. And Atlanta's burbs are pretty bad too. I remember hearing that Dekalb has one of the highest homicide rates for suburban counties.

Nashville has had similar growth rates to Atlanta the past few decades, hasn't it? It isn't nearly as big because Nashville has never been a big city.

Edit: I mistakenly said Decatur in my original post. I ment to say Dekalb county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City