U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 03:55 PM

33 posts, read 54,463 times

Advertisements

Did your hometown turn you into a punk? Did moving across the country turn you into a zealot? Maybe a prostitute? a cowboy? a jerk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,734,547 times
I am a child of the cul-de-sac. I grew up in a series of suburbs in different cities in different parts of the country, courtesy of my military dad. But a cul-de-sac is a cul-de-sac. Save for a change in vegetation, and a bit of stucco in the southwest, they're all interchangeable. The end result was a strong desire to not live a typical suburban life as an adult. I've lived in historic urban neighborhoods (one great, one on it's way, and one past its prime) and now live semi-rurally on a few acres.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:03 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,452,232 times
I Grew up in NY, and I guess I always had a California soul packed into a NY attitude. A creative without the pretense.

Living in Pittsburgh, DC and West Virginia enhanced my life experiences (while I always liked "underground" music, I ironically started my first punk band in West Virginia). Best job I ever had was as a riverboat first mate in WV.

Living in MO, started sucking my soul so I returned to CA

Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM

33 posts, read 54,463 times
Default Did moving from a "blue" area to a "red" (or vice versa) change your politics?

Why was the thread moved to this one?

Last edited by NIMBYS IN SPACE; 03-18-2013 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Why was this moved? Could you just delete it instead

Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,613,350 times
I grew up in suburban St. Louis and lived in suburban Memphis and Charlotte and can't deal with the suburban lifestyle.

By running out of St.Louisa as a young adult I've learned that you have to take the good with the bad and be happy with where you are in life.

You also have to get off the block to find yourself. I've noticed people who relocate from their hometowns seem to be more successful in life then those who limit themselves to one part of the country or to one side of the city.

My advise to anyone is to find what your looking for and go for it. Don't draw boundaries or else you will never reach your potential.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,978,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I am a child of the cul-de-sac. I grew up in a series of suburbs in different cities in different parts of the country, courtesy of my military dad. But a cul-de-sac is a cul-de-sac. Save for a change in vegetation, and a bit of stucco in the southwest, they're all interchangeable. The end result was a strong desire to not live a typical suburban life as an adult. I've lived in historic urban neighborhoods (one great, one on it's way, and one past its prime) and now live semi-rurally on a few acres.
Interesting story - which historic urban neighborhoods, out of curiosity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City