Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: battle of the 3M metros
Minneapolis St paul 29 25.22%
San Diego 36 31.30%
Seattle 48 41.74%
Neither 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which city do you think is better..according to these criteria?

Shopping:
Scenery:
Econemy:
Skyline:
Schools:
Housing Prices:
Universities:
Climate/Weather:
Public Transit:
Traffic:
Suburbs:
Better Location:
Art Scene:
Music Scene:
Airport:
Scenery:
Better Vibe(To you):
the one you choose:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,644 times
Shopping: San Diego
Scenery: Seattle
Economy: San Diego
Skyline: Seattle
Schools: Minneapolis
Housing Prices: Minneapolis
Universities: San Diego/Minneapolis
Climate/Weather: San Diego
Public Transit: Seattle
Traffic: Minneapolis
Suburbs: San Diego
Better Location: San Diego
Art Scene: Minneapolis
Music Scene: San Diego
Airport: Seattle
Scenery: Seattle
Better Vibe(To you): San Diego
the one you choose: San Diego

San Diego: 9
Minneapolis: 5
Seattle: 5

There all great metropolitan areas and cities. But San Diego wins this one for me. Other criterion could have been downtown activity, nightlife, beaches, etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post

There all great metropolitan areas and cities. But San Diego wins this one for me. Other criterion could have been downtown activity, nightlife, beaches, etc.
San Diego still looses to Seattle on Downtown activity and nightlife

Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM

285 posts, read 568,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
San Diego still looses to Seattle on Downtown activity and nightlife
No doubt about that, but IMO the perfect weather of SD trumps the more vibrant downtown of Seattle. I would choose SD of the three.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:17 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
No doubt about that, but IMO the perfect weather of SD trumps the more vibrant downtown of Seattle. I would choose SD of the three.
I had way more fun in SD than Seattle, fwiw.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:38 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,254,732 times
Never been to Seattle but between the 3 I would pick San Diego. Whats there not to love about perfect weather, coastal setting, mountainous backdrops, and the location is best poised for easy vacations into Mexico, Arizona, and Southland?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
SD seems the least cultured in terms of museums, music, architecture, etc.....but I could be completely wrong. I know SD has parts that are SUPER old, so I know it's got some interesting history behind it. Minneapolis and Seattle are more famous for the arts and family culture, which I personally prefer over beaches, sandles and access to Tijuanna.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 AM

635 posts, read 1,541,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
SD seems the least cultured in terms of museums, music, architecture, etc.....but I could be completely wrong. I know SD has parts that are SUPER old, so I know it's got some interesting history behind it. Minneapolis and Seattle are more famous for the arts and family culture, which I personally prefer over beaches, sandles and access to Tijuanna.
San Diego is well known for its family culture. It's consistently one of the most livable cities in the country, among other things. Not to mention it has better zoos than Minneapolis and Seattle, and many museums at Balboa Park. It's not all surfing and beaches out here.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,938,167 times
Shopping: Minneapolis
Scenery: Tie between San Diego and Seattle
Economy: Seattle
Skyline: Seattle
Schools: Minneapolis
Housing Prices: Minneapolis
Universities: Minneapolis
Climate/Weather: San Diego
Public Transit: 3-way tie
Traffic: tie
Suburbs: Seattle because of Bellevue, though the others have some good ones
Better Location: San Diego
Art Scene: Minneapolis, prob.
Music Scene: Seattle or San Diego
Airport: Seattle, based on post-renovation photos
Better Vibe(To you): San Diego
the one you choose: San Diego

Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 AM

41 posts, read 85,500 times
Smile You need immersion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
In your opinion, which city do you think is better..according to these criteria?

Shopping:
Scenery:
Econemy:
Skyline:
Schools:
Housing Prices:
Universities:
Climate/Weather:
Public Transit:
Traffic:
Suburbs:
Better Location:
Art Scene:
Music Scene:
Airport:
Scenery:
Better Vibe(To you):
the one you choose:

You need to visit them.
You can read up on them, but until you immerse yourself its hard to really know. I like San Diego, but prior to visiting California - LA, San Jose, San Diego, San Francisco - I thought I would LOVE the state and I'm only lukewarm about it - I realized I don't actually like constant sun - crazy right? San Diego's great but I couldn't see myself making a living there - I had a friend who lived there for a few years but he didn't find his career job (architecture) until he moved to Boston.

If you love the beach, San Diego is great. There are little boutiques that seel expensive clothes like Diesel that fit super tight and small compared to "normal" clothes (eg department stores or Gap). People love to tan, theres a large uni there, lots of transient residents like students live there. Its pretty small compared to the other two - you might be bored.

I've been to San Diego and Seattle and they both "feel" completely differnt to me. Seattle feels larger and more structured, people seem to care a lot less about fashion and a lot more about things like recycling and eduation. Washington universities rank highly - I believe two are in the top 50. I think you probably need a car or to take buses more in Seattle - I took a bus once and the driver was on time, polite and patient while I fumbled for change - unlike in DC!! I personally couldn't live in Seattle for one reason - the air is so humid that I felt like I was inside a sneeze. It's very damp and wet even though the rain isnt bad - its light and intermittant. Otherwise, its a neat city with a lot to offer. Some of the houses are really beautiful which gorgeous dahlias and other bright flowers abundant. There are a lot of little parks and a nice marina with old Pacific Islander nation boats (sorry I think from Oceania, but I didn't pay enough attention to remember - its something akin to native american culture but different)

I haven't been to Minneapolis, but I'm considering moving there - it seems like a really "well rounded" city. Where I'm from - Philadelphia- people are kind of obsessed with upward mobility, keeping up with the Jones, and are really competitive about education for the sake of bragging rights. Its the same in NYC , DC and many other parts of the NE. Of course, these are all generalizations. You will find a wide range of people everywhere, but I think some places are like a magnet to people looking for certain things - ie. Boulder Colorado draws athletes and vegans heavily .

Minneapolis seems to be for someone who wants big city life - sports stadiums, rock concerts in medium to large sized venues, fashionable boutiques, but also practical choices and low key options - summer festivals, a sense of community, polite people, etc. My mom tells me people value education highly in Minneapolis/St. Paul and I believe St. Paul is known for art.

Good Luck!

Ps my knowledge is limited so please - no ridicule or bashing - esp. through private messaging - that's very rude! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City