Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times

Advertisements

I've only been to the the Getty Center but I've read several comments that it looks similar/interchangeable with the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. This is understandable since both are Richard Meier designs in his trademark white. Some information:

High Museum of Art - Wikipedia
High Museum of Art - home

Getty Center - Wikipedia
The J. Paul Getty Museum

The High has its roots in 1905 but the Meier building was built in 1983. The museum doubled its space in 2002 with the addition of structures designed by Renzo Piano. It is located in Midtown Atlanta and as far as I can tell, it is not an encyclopedic art museum.

The Getty Center was opened in 1997 and is also not an encyclopedic museum - that's the role of LACMA, which coincidentally, is still undergoing a Renzo Piano makeover that started in 2004. The Getty center is located on a Brentwood neighborhood hilltop among the Santa Monica Mountains and it overlooks both the L.A. basin and Pacific Ocean. The Getty Center is not to be confused with the Getty Villa in the Pacific Palisades neighborhood of L.A., which is an antiquities museum, housed in a stunning replica Roman villa.

So how do they compare? Some things to consider would include the architecture, gallery space, gardens and grounds, permanent collection, special exhibits, setting and relationship with the city, access, user friendliness, museum shop, community outreach, etc.

I'm sure there are people who have been to both, but comments from those who have gone to only one are welcome as well (especially if I've made any errors).
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City