Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 PM

34 posts, read 65,178 times

Advertisements

Gotta stick with Texas. EASY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM

65 posts, read 156,410 times
Not trying to be racist, it's just simple facts/statistics. Most large cities with high african american populations (over 20-25%) have high crime/violent crime rates. Most large/medium cities in the southeast have shockingly high crime rates. I can't think of a large city with a low african american population % that has high crime rates, with the exception of Phoenix.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM

65 posts, read 156,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
Here is some comparison information using 2010 data.

It includes crime rate indexes, education profile, quality of life indexes, weather statistics, pollution indexes, population statistics and a host of other stats.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

From the comparison of both cities, San Antonio fairs a lot better when it comes to crime. A LOT better. 240 to 156 in total crime index but it's the assault risk index that is truly shocking. 280 for Charlotte to 63 for San Antonio. Also, the robbery risk index is telling too, as they have Charlotte at 305 to 127 for San Antonio. Keep in mind how low San Antonio's numbers are compared to Charlotte because those numbers are reflective of the city populations which San Antonio has twice the population as Charlotte yet our crime index is lower overall and much lower in a couple of categories.

The rest of the comparison for both cities is pretty much a wash as they're very similar in a lot of the comparisons. San Antonio has a better Quality of Life index while Charlotte has a higher religion index.

Feel free to give the two pages a read. Hope it helps.

P.S.

I'd wager to bet most of the people giving their opinion about San Antonio have never actually stepped inside the city aside from typing its name into google. That brings me to the point of, you can't judge a city or place by pictures online. SA is too big to be defined by its lackluster skyline. Also, the skyline may be sad (for now) but the urban core is growing rapidly unlike it ever has before and downtown San Antonio at ground level can't be beat. Heck, at sub ground level, aka the riverwalk, it can't be beat either.

Not trying to be racist, it's just simple facts/statistics. Most large cities with high african american populations (over 20-25%) have high crime/violent crime rates. That's why San Antonio's crime rate is lower. Most large/medium cities in the southeast have shockingly high crime rates. I can't think of a large city with a low african american population % that has high crime rates, with the exception of Phoenix.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,033,579 times
Charlotte is a boring boring city

Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM

489 posts, read 907,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
My two visits to Charlotte, I was surprised not to see any office buildings along the interstates, it reminded me of a big forest with a big skyline in the center.
Apparently you didn't drive around the 485 through Ballantyne, or drive over to South Park (not off an interstate)...

Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 PM

7,713 posts, read 12,585,212 times
I'm currently living in San Antonio but I have been to Charlotte NC a few times. Charlotte absolutely has San Antonio beat by a long shot. I've lived in San Antonio back and forth between Florida for the past 6 or 7 years. I came to conclusion that I am simply not a fan of mexican culture. At least when it is the majority culture and population of an area. I like having other races around and having a more inclusive, cosmopolitan, and educated feel of a city. San Antonio doesn't have anything like that at all.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,096,493 times
San Antonio has 125,000 college students, with a list of universities and colleges. UTSA has close to 40,000 students with its north and downtown campus. San Antonio also has the 9th largest community college district in the u.s. UT health science center is world reknown just as the brook army medical center home to the largest military medical school on the planet.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM

111 posts, read 322,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Charlotte is a boring boring city
You're probably a boring, boring person.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 PM

157 posts, read 295,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
Duke Energy is the largest electric power holding company in the United States, and the company expands into Canada and Latin America. It's a lot more than a local company.

You cannot compare a state with nearly 20 million more people than the state of North Carolina. Obviously Houston and Dallas aren't even in discussion considering they're almost triple the size of Austin, Charlotte, and San Antonio.

The Research Triangle park in NC is probably more technologically advanced than any city in Texas, and the top rated college is also in NC.

San Antonio is nothing but a tourist destination, so all of that "shopping" and those "restaurants" are expected and that's apparently the reason the OP did not choose to live there.

Your post is complete nonsense. Please do your research before trying to prove a point.
No its not ! Duke Energy is the 3rd largest here's a source ..
http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/Shar...rFactSheet.pdf

according the link above - (Duke Energy is the third largest electric power holding company in the United States, based on kilowatt-hour sales. Its regulated utility operations serve approximately 4 million customers located in five states – North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky – representing a population of approximately 11 million people.)

San Antonio is overall a much bigger, more cosmopolitan, far more urban, richer history and broad culture than Charlotte. Besides USAA, CC Media Holdings Inc, Valero, NuStar Energy LP, Tesoro Corp, we have a lot of other companies like Harland Clarke, United Health group, Wells Med, Chase, Wells Fargo, many more companies here..
I am glad I chose San Antonio,. to me it's more dynamic, more entertainment, less crime, friendlier, many different options to choose for recreational activities. etc..

Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM

37,838 posts, read 41,717,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie.e View Post
No its not ! Duke Energy is the 3rd largest here's a source ..
http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/Shar...rFactSheet.pdf

according the link above - (Duke Energy is the third largest electric power holding company in the United States, based on kilowatt-hour sales. Its regulated utility operations serve approximately 4 million customers located in five states – North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky – representing a population of approximately 11 million people.)
That's outdated info. Since the merger with Progress Energy, Duke is now #1:

Duke Energy completed its merger with Progress Energy on July 2, 2012. The merger, which was announced in early 2011, gained approval from both companies’ shareholders and all necessary regulatory bodies.

Based in Charlotte, N.C., the new Duke Energy is the largest regulated utility in the U.S., with approximately 7 million customers across six states.

Duke Energy/Progress Energy MergerDuke Energy and Progress Energy Have Merged -Duke Energy

Quote:
San Antonio is overall a much bigger, more cosmopolitan, far more urban, richer history and broad culture than Charlotte. Besides USAA, CC Media Holdings Inc, Valero, NuStar Energy LP, Tesoro Corp, we have a lot of other companies like Harland Clarke, United Health group, Wells Med, Chase, Wells Fargo, many more companies here..
I am glad I chose San Antonio,. to me it's more dynamic, more entertainment, less crime, friendlier, many different options to choose for recreational activities. etc..
Much of that is subjective, but the "much bigger" part is factually incorrect. Even if going by urbanized area population wherein San Antonio is larger, it's not by a whole lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City