Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM

7,063 posts, read 12,295,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Facts? What do you want to know? Feel free to ask me anything about that small southern boring city. I got a job transfer there cause my first job was with Wachovia, what a mistake.... I lived in Phoenix and that was better. And I'm 29 years old, turn 30 in June!
All some folks are saying is that you (and a few others) probably have very limited travel experience. Just the fact that you're comparing metro Phoenix (a much larger metro) to metro Charlotte shows that you probably haven't seen much of the US. Charlotte's peers are Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Austin, Cincinnati, Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, Louisville etc. If you wish to call Charlotte the most boring of it's peers, than that's fine. Just know that Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in it's peer group too.

Also, if your first job brought you here back in the days of Wachovia (a company that hasn't existed in almost 5 years) it seems to me that your memories of Charlotte are quite dated. Back when you moved here, Charlotte was the Nation's 36th largest MSA, today it is the Nation's 23rd largest. At the same time that you were leaving, several thousand replaced you (and they stayed and loved it). I respect your opinion, but people are speaking much louder than you with their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM

582 posts, read 1,177,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
You do not provide any factual information about anything. If I was looking for a biased opinion, I'd have no problem You're my #1 guy!

Oh, so you lived in Phoenix, transferred to Charlotte and then what?

That's kind of funny considering Wachovia had no corporate presence in Phoenix, so unless you transferred from branch to branch, your theory isn't adding up.

Also, Wachovia has been defunct for a couple of years now. Even if you weren't lying, I think it's time you reevaluate your statements.
You do not ask any facts, if you did I would answer them.

No, I transferred from NYC to Charlotte. Again, I said it was my first job out of college... I was 22 which was 7-8 years ago. And Wachovia was everywhere, its a huge company. Any other questions father, I would be more than happy to lay my whole life story in front of you right now.

I have some fascinating news, what it comes down to is that I don't like that southern, crime ridden, black and white ny cookie for diversity, hot/pollen filled crappy weather, horrible economy city. The only reason why anyone moves to that city is because its so cheap a 3 bedroom 2 bath house costs about 180,000. If Charlotte was a car it would be a 15 year old Honda accord with 200,000 miles on it..... Yet someone will buy it. Why? The answer is because its all they can afford! I have never respected Charlotte and never will.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
All some folks are saying is that you (and a few others) probably have very limited travel experience. Just the fact that you're comparing metro Phoenix (a much larger metro) to metro Charlotte shows that you probably haven't seen much of the US. Charlotte's peers are Indianapolis, Kansas City, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Austin, Cincinnati, Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, Louisville etc. If you wish to call Charlotte the most boring of it's peers, than that's fine. Just know that Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in it's peer group too.

Also, if your first job brought you here back in the days of Wachovia (a company that hasn't existed in almost 5 years) it seems to me that your memories of Charlotte are quite dated. Back when you moved here, Charlotte was the Nation's 36th largest MSA, today it is the Nation's 23rd largest. At the same time that you were leaving, several thousand replaced you (and they stayed and loved it). I respect your opinion, but people are speaking much louder than you with their feet.
Or it could be the total opposite. I'm very well traveled and have seen every major metro in this country and small bland places like Charlotte are boring. All of the places you listed are boring and worthless.

The Charlotte boosters are funny, a couple hundred thousand people move to the metro and you guys start throwing parties thinking the place is important.

Look y'all, they comin in droves to live here y'all.

Exactly what it sounds like, give me a break and go visit/live in something of relevance.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM

37,829 posts, read 41,668,812 times
Quote:
How in the hell are you going to tell me where I have been?

I have lived in Charlotte, the city limits and it was boring, culture less, bland and had no soul. Your opinion to me is irrelevant going around acting like that country town is important or relevant to anyone, its a bland and boring southern mecca with nothing going for it but a cheap cost of living. The natives are innate!!!
If it's a mecca, then by definition it has a good bit going for it.

And what does "the natives are innate" even mean???

Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
You do not ask any facts, if you did I would answer them.

No, I transferred from NYC to Charlotte. Again, I said it was my first job out of college... I was 22 which was 7-8 years ago. And Wachovia was everywhere, its a huge company. Any other questions father, I would be more than happy to lay my whole life story in front of you right now.

I have some fascinating news, what it comes down to is that I don't like that southern, crime ridden, black and white ny cookie for diversity, hot/pollen filled crappy weather, horrible economy city. The only reason why anyone moves to that city is because its so cheap a 3 bedroom 2 bath house costs about 180,000. If Charlotte was a car it would be a 15 year old Honda accord with 200,000 miles on it..... Yet someone will buy it. Why? The answer is because its all they can afford! I have never respected Charlotte and never will.
Let's be real dude. If you were one of the bankers who got promoted to well over 6 or 7 figures and found a southern bomb-shell to marry you and have your kids; you'd still be in Charlotte; probably living on Lake Norman in Donald Trump's golf course community. The fact that Trump even has a golf course community near Charlotte completely debunks your "cheap-is-the-only-attraction" theory. You also insult San Antonio because that city's median home value is far lower than Charlotte's. Like it or not, there are many homes and condos in Charlotte (owned by transplants) that most Americans can't afford.

Also, this is not a NYC vs Phoenix vs Charlotte thread; it's San Antonio vs Charlotte. In the spirit of this thread (and your remarks about Charlotte's cheap real estate) here are a few rentals in downtown Charlotte that are anything but cheap.

http://www.catalystcharlotte.com/images/pool_850.jpg

http://www.lifestylesacrossamerica.c...unity_Pool.jpg

http://www.rentfish.com/propimg/B29C...EAEC66F8C7.jpg

http://weblogcharlotte.com/image_sto...3297671269.jpg

^^^Units in central Charlotte can range from $1,500/month to as much as $5,000/month. I know, I know; you're probably laughing your a$$ off right now wondering what "idiot" would pay that much for the likes of downtown Charlotte right? Ever heard of Cam Newton, Jeff Gordon, or Michael Jordan? Those are some of the names that own expensive downtown real estate. As a matter of fact, many of your bosses at Wells Fargo rent downtown as well. Here are some views from MJ's condo downtown.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bfpRkyFvia...do+bobcats.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.co...12/960924i.jpg

Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Let's be real dude. If you were one of the bankers who got promoted to well over 6 or 7 figures and found a southern bomb-shell to marry you and have your kids; you'd still be in Charlotte; probably living on Lake Norman in Donald Trump's golf course community. The fact that Trump even has a golf course community near Charlotte completely debunks your "cheap-is-the-only-attraction" theory. You also insult San Antonio because that city's median home value is far lower than Charlotte's. Like it or not, there are many homes and condos in Charlotte (owned by transplants) that most Americans can't afford.

Also, this is not a NYC vs Phoenix vs Charlotte thread; it's San Antonio vs Charlotte. In the spirit of this thread (and your remarks about Charlotte's cheap real estate) here are a few rentals in downtown Charlotte that are anything but cheap.

http://www.catalystcharlotte.com/images/pool_850.jpg

http://www.lifestylesacrossamerica.c...unity_Pool.jpg

http://www.rentfish.com/propimg/B29C...EAEC66F8C7.jpg

http://weblogcharlotte.com/image_sto...3297671269.jpg

^^^Units in central Charlotte can range from $1,500/month to as much as $5,000/month. I know, I know; you're probably laughing your a$$ off right now wondering what "idiot" would pay that much for the likes of downtown Charlotte right? Ever heard of Cam Newton, Jeff Gordon, or Michael Jordan? Those are some of the names that own expensive downtown real estate. As a matter of fact, many of your bosses at Wells Fargo rent downtown as well. Here are some views from MJ's condo downtown.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bfpRkyFvia...do+bobcats.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.co...12/960924i.jpg
Lol, you have to be kidding me. I'm not interested in southern women and I like cities not small metros with sprawl.

So, if you don't want me talking about other cities then stop asking me my life story. And a place in Charlotte is only about 600 bucks a month. What came from the growth..... Let me guess mmmmmm? More strip mall anchored by Wal marts, target, five guys, chick fil a, Applebee's, etc. oh, wait I forgot the Lowes or Home Depot. Charlotte is anywhere suburban America.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 04-09-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
What came from the growth..... Let me guess mmmmmm? More strip mall anchored by Wal marts, target, five guys, chick fil a, Applebee's, etc. oh, wait I forgot the Lowes or Home Depot. Charlotte is anywhere suburban America, not even an MLB team.
Of course suburban development will be a product of rapid growth anywhere, but at least TRY and be fair. With the growth, Charlotte also got light rail, a new downtown arena, new intown residential development (particularly along the light rail line; TOD is BOOMING right now), a new urban cultural campus, a new urban ballpark (under construction), an Olympic-caliber whitewater training facility, increased tourism, more nightlife options, more corporate headquarters, and more. The urban core of Charlotte is getting a GREAT deal of investment due to all of the growth it has received.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Lol, you have to be kidding me. I'm not interested in southern women and I like cities not small metros with sprawl.

So, if you don't want me talking about other cities then stop asking me my life story. And a place in Charlotte is only about 600 bucks a month. What came from the growth..... Let me guess mmmmmm? More strip mall anchored by Wal marts, target, five guys, chick fil a, Applebee's, etc. oh, wait I forgot the Lowes or Home Depot. Charlotte is anywhere suburban America, not even an MLB team.
You insult San Antonio yet again; that city doesn't have MLB or a NFL team. For the record, metro Charlotte would not be the smallest MLB metro if/when it is awarded an expansion team. See if you can count how many MLB cities are now actually smaller than metro Charlotte. I counted 4, with Pittsburgh on it's way to being #5.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-09-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
You insult San Antonio yet again; that city doesn't have MLB or a NFL team. For the record, metro Charlotte would not be the smallest MLB metro if/when it is awarded an expansion team. See if you can count how many MLB cities are now actually smaller than metro Charlotte. I counted 4, with Pittsburgh on it's way to being #5.

List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posters from San Antonio are not arrogant, they are not annoying. They do not go around boosting their city every day on this forum like Charlotte posters. The Charlotte posters are a wild stray of hyenas looking for food and acting as if their city is amazing. I can't think of one poster on this site who is arrogant from SA, Chatlotte has a pack of them! I do not bash cities on this site until their posters start acting uncivilized.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Posters from San Antonio are not arrogant, they are not annoying. They do not go around boosting their city every day on this forum like Charlotte posters. The Charlotte posters are a wild stray of hyenas looking for food and acting as if their city is amazing. I can't think of one poster on this site who is arrogant from SA, Chatlotte has a pack of them! I do not bash cities in this site until their posters start acting uncivilized.
There may be two Charlotte posters at most who are a bit on the overzealous side; it's hardly the majority. Atlanta has its boosters as well but you don't bash Atlanta nearly as bad as you bash Charlotte.

If you don't like the city, fine, but bash it on that basis, not due to a poster or two. Otherwise the logic you come up with for bashing it works against you--like bashing Charlotte for not having an MLB team, yet you're sticking up for SA which also don't have one (or an NFL team, which Charlotte does have).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City