Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

All three are still growing insanely fast.

Although ATL has slowed from the rate it was at in 2003, it is still growing at a very rapid rate.
Dallas is growing just as fast as it was ten years ago
Houston is growing a little faster than it was in 2003 being the slowest back then but the fastest right now.

As for speculations on the future? I leave it to three things. JOBS, JOBS, JOBS.
None of the three are hurting for jobs right now. Houston and DFW have a slightly lower unemployment rate and better prospects for job growth, but all three should be healthy for the decades to come

Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
I read somewhere that Atlanta was the number one city for 2013 that people are moving too. It seems that Atlanta is working more on smart growth while Houston, and Dallas seem to be adding more and more suburbs. It also seems as if People are moving to Atlanta more because they are going to have fun, And party all the time, While people don't seem to just move to Houston and Dallas because they just fell in love with the place. More because of the economic opportunities, I have never heard anyone talk about how beautiful Houston is , and how they can not wait to move there. Lol!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I read somewhere that Atlanta was the number one city for 2013 that people are moving too. It seems that Atlanta is working more on smart growth while Houston, and Dallas seem to be adding more and more suburbs. It also seems as if People are moving to Atlanta more because they are going to have fun, And party all the time, While people don't seem to just move to Houston and Dallas because they just fell in love with the place. More because of the economic opportunities, I have never heard anyone talk about how beautiful Houston is , and how they can not wait to move there. Lol!
You are showing lately that you know nothing about what is going on in Houston or Dallas.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,884 times
Default Birth Rate

Birth Rate is by far the largest contributor to population growth. Houston has the highest birth rate out of the 3. I think that Houston would grow by some 75,000 people a year even without migration. Dallas would also grow by 65,000 a year and Atlanta by 37,500. Regardless of economies, jobs,migration etc this will be the ultimate determining factor. The Los Angeles area is the 3rd fastest growing area by sheer numbers and it has a negative net migration and a bad economy but it also has a relatively high birth rate. That is why it is growing.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You are showing lately that you know nothing about what is going on in Houston or Dallas.
Oh I am dearly sorry, Please enlighten me! I was just saying that i have never heard of people moving to Houston because it is fun, and beautiful city. They just move there because they found a nice job.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Oh I am dearly sorry, Please enlighten me! I was just saying that i have never heard of people moving to Houston because it is fun, and beautiful city. They just move there because they found a nice job.
I don't hear that for Atlanta either but what does that matter? You say Houston and Dallas adds more suburbs but the Houston and Dallas metro areas are a bit more dense than Atlanta. Atlanta sprawls out worse than the two Texas cities. If people just move to Atlanta just so they can party all the time, than no wonder it is starting to slow down in growth. But I'm smart enough to know that isn't the reason why people move to Atlanta. Just because you don't hear Dallas, Houston, and fun in the same sentence hardly means it is non-existent. Thank you go out and say that Houston doesn't have any plans to improve on its urbanity. Do you have an extensive history with the city lately? Have you seen the developments going on in that city?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,105 times
Atlanta's economy is diversifying, so are Dallas and Houston. Atlanta happened to get hit harder by the recession but all 3 cities have what it takes to continue growing. Proximity one shows Dallas and Houston growing by leaps and bounds in this current decade, with Atlanta not far behind. Each metro will have booming growth but I don't see any city surpassing another.

By 2020, according to proximity one, Atlanta will add just one one million, Dallas will add 1.2 and Houston will add 1.24 million.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Atlanta's economy is diversifying, so are Dallas and Houston. Atlanta happened to get hit harder by the recession but all 3 cities have what it takes to continue growing. Proximity one shows Dallas and Houston growing by leaps and bounds in this current decade, with Atlanta not far behind. Each metro will have booming growth but I don't see any city surpassing another.

By 2020, according to proximity one, Atlanta will add just one one million, Dallas will add 1.2 and Houston will add 1.24 million.
I'm gonna be lazy and ask you for a link

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM

Yes, I was there too weeks ago, And please tell me when did i say Houston, and Dallas were less dense i know they are more dense. I guess when you are in downtown, Midtown and Buckhead. You just feel like you are in big city where people live, work, and play. I just do not get the same feeling in Dallas. I hear all the time about how people fall in love with Atlanta because of the scenery. All the trees the CLEAN air that is not polluted because it does not depend on the killing of the Ozone Layer. Atlanta also is not adding as many jobs as Dallas, But it has Houston beat.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was there too weeks ago, And please tell me when did i say Houston, and Dallas were less dense i know they are more dense. I guess when you are in downtown, Midtown and Buckhead. You just feel like you are in big city where people live, work, and play. I just do not get the same feeling in Dallas. I hear all the time about how people fall in love with Atlanta because of the scenery. All the trees the CLEAN air that is not polluted because it does not depend on the killing of the Ozone Layer. Atlanta also is not adding as many jobs as Dallas, But it has Houston beat.
No it doesn't. Houston has added more jobs than any other metro the last 5 years. You said Houston and Dallas just adds suburbs while Atlanta does not. That is false. Atlanta spreads out more than the two Texas cities. Atlanta does have the better downtown out of three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City