Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,600,572 times

Advertisements

Also, Atlanta's MSA has a lot more land area than Philadelphia's MSA. It's easier to continue to grow with so much land area when the MSA can just continue to expand where as Philadelphia is constrained on three sides. To the North is the New York City MSA/CSA. To the East is the Atlantic Ocean, and to the South is the Baltimore MSA/CSA. The only way Philly can expand is to the west and if it expands any further west it will take an hour and a half to get from the outer limits of the metro to the city core.

So Atlanta and Philadelphia city limits are the same size yet Philadelphia fits 1.2 million more within the city limits, and Atlanta MSA is 3,000 sq miles bigger than Philly MSA yet Philly MSA still has 500,000 people more.

Philadelphia MSA- 5,118 sq miles
Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta MSA- 8,376 sq miles
Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:11 AM

7,245 posts, read 10,480,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Also, Atlanta's MSA has a lot more land area than Philadelphia's MSA. It's easier to continue to grow with so much land area when the MSA can just continue to expand where as Philadelphia is constrained on three sides. To the North is the New York City MSA/CSA. To the East is the Atlantic Ocean, and to the South is the Baltimore MSA/CSA. The only way Philly can expand is to the west and if it expands any further west it will take an hour and a half to get from the outer limits of the metro to the city core.

So Atlanta and Philadelphia city limits are the same size yet Philadelphia fits 1.2 million more within the city limits, and Atlanta MSA is 3,000 sq miles bigger than Philly MSA yet Philly MSA still has 500,000 people more.
I think it's worth noting, also, that NIMBY-ism/zoning in the Philly area also tends to be pretty strong compared to most other areas of the country.

In addition, while it is difficult to obtain statistics at the metro level, the is a large amount of permanently preserved open space/conservation easements throughout the region, basically putting a significant chuck of land off-limits from development. Much of the region is "maxed-out" from a development footprint standpoint, so the vast majority of new development will have to take the form of redevelopment (of which there is plenty of opportunity). Nevertheless, this makes any new development more complex.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep2 View Post
That page just demonstrates his point. What census info is that page using?

Atlanta and Miami's city populations are very small.
Well its a fact that in comparison there populations are small but it shows that the daytime increase in Atlanta is much higher than many cities including Philly.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
This says the daytime population of Atlanta is 670,000. You proved my point when I said the daytime population was not over 700,000. Even with tourists included Atlanta MAY have 800,000 day time population. Still nowhere close to Philadelphia's population.

How is Philly not a few notches higher? I'm not saying MSA as a whole, just city level. Even as an MSA Philly has a higher population, is overall wealthier, and has a higher GDP therefore produces more for this country. So explain to me how in any rational way, is Atlanta on the same or higher tier than Philly? Those rankings are garbage and always discredit the sheer size and power of Philly. ALWAYS.
I was not in disagreement about the 700,000 number.I was just ,making a point that the increase is higher in Atlanta than Philly.

Well it would be one thing if it were just one ranking Philly lower but its several different ones
You want rational?
Atlanta is one of the “TOP METRO AREAS
WITH THE LARGEST NET INTERNATIONAL MIGRATION.

The world cities with the most powerful brands
The world cities with the most powerful brands - get the data | Cities | theguardian.com

Most Educated Cities

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

Highest Income Median Inomes areas
Highest-income metropolitan statistical areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I mean Atlanta has even more international share of the visitors market last I checked.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:12 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'd go for Philly, especially with no schools to worry about. It's going to be the next big relocation destination.
That's kind of run it's course and is no longer the big "secret" it once was.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Philadelphia MSA- 5,118 sq miles
Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta MSA- 8,376 sq miles
Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well yeh when you have 200-300 years time over Atlanta,I would hope there is more building and urbanity.

But the city of Atlanta including the suburbs are growing with more urban and denser developments at a faster rate.

The reason I did not stay in Philly is because it was just too dense for me and too be honest just a little too old and too cold in the winter.

I do wish Atlanta was denser(its getting there).

Old 06-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'd go for Philly, especially with no schools to worry about. It's going to be the next big relocation destination.
Huh?The schools in Philly is worse than those in Atlanta.

Quote:
The Philadelphia public school system is in a financial and leadership crisis so severe that writer Aaron Kase said in this article on Salon.com that the district is in its “death throes.”
‘Perfect storm’ threatens Philadelphia schools

Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Huh?The schools in Philly is worse than those in Atlanta.

‘Perfect storm’ threatens Philadelphia schools
In the city yes, but in the suburbs, they're not only some of the best in the country, but worlds better than Atlanta.

The odds of you getting a good education in Philly MSA is tenfold than in Atlanta MSA because the school system in PA is just that much better.

Best Educated Index statistics - States Compared - StateMaster

Old 06-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
In the city yes, but in the suburbs, they're not only some of the best in the country, but worlds better than Atlanta.

The odds of you getting a good education in Philly MSA is tenfold than in Atlanta MSA because the school system in PA is just that much better.

Best Educated Index statistics - States Compared - StateMaster
10 fold is an exaggeration and really not that hard to find descent schools in Atlanta regardless of how the schools are overall better in the metro.

Even so,this might explain why the city of Philly is not growing even faster due to poor schools.

It hampers Atlanta also but the schools in the city are not as dire as they are in Philly(city).

Old 06-07-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
10 fold is an exaggeration and really not that hard to find descent schools in Atlanta regardless of how the schools are overall better in the metro.

Even so,this might explain why the city of Philly is not growing even faster due to poor schools.

It hampers Atlanta also but the schools in the city are not as dire as they are in Philly(city).
It's not only PA suburbs, but New Jersey and Delaware are both ranked higher for primary education as well.

You can still find good schools in Philly proper too. For public: Greenfield, Central, Masterman, Penn Alexander, etc. And then there are a slew of superb charter, private and catholic schools separate from the Philadelphia Public School district. Not that difficult to find.

We'll just say Atlanta has better city proper schools and Philly has better suburban schools. Therefore Primary education is a tie. Sound good to you? Really no point in arguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City