Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,711,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I would say Philly is more segregated diverse.
I was about to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM

582 posts, read 1,175,519 times
Quote:
Can you add anything of value to the OP?

This thread has been ruined by people with their own agenda and nonsense.
How? If you are interested in nightlife would you want advice from someone who is 21? I wouldn't! I am 30, have lived in Atlanta and grew up in central/north Jersey which is close to Philadelphia. Your OP is generic without talking about weather preferences, food, sports, nightlife, ethnicity, etc.... Very generic and it makes the situation harder for those responding.

And sorry if my comment about accents was offensive but I live in Jersey (near Philly) and you will hear stuff like that quite a bit here so get use to it.

Since you live in Atlanta and already know about the city my advice would be to post in the Philadelphia forum.

Feel free to DM me with questions, I am familiar with Philly a little, but more the suburbs. I have lived in Atlanta and visit Philly several times a year so feel free to DM me.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,842,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yeah, I'm just not into any woman that reminds me in the least bit of Snooki.
Then don't move to New York/North Jersey, which is where Snooki and the cast of The Jersey Shore are from.

Amber Rose is more representative of low-class Philly women lol. From a South Philly strip club to Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa haha.
Mmm, I think Pink and Eve may have also started out in Philly strip clubs haha guess the rest of the country loves Philly strippers.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Then don't move to New York/North Jersey, which is where Snooki and the cast of The Jersey Shore are from.

Amber Rose is more representative of low-class Philly women lol. From a South Philly strip club to Kanye West and Wiz Khalifa haha.
Mmm, I think Pink and Eve may have also started out in Philly strip clubs haha.
Um, Philly is filled with it too. So, you can stop your stereotyping of the North Jerssey and NY area real quick.... South jersey and Philly is filled with it too.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Um, Philly is filled with it too. So, you can stop your stereotyping of the North Jerssey and NY area real quick.... South jersey and Philly is filled with it too.
Filled with what? Jersey Shore types?

South Philly definitely has some, but nothing in comparison to large swaths of Long Island/Queens, Staten Island, North Jersey, West Chester, etc. And they don't take over our beaches and bars in South Jersey in the Summer like they do in North Jersey in Belmar, Seaside Heights, etc.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,002,185 times
I don't live in Atlanta.

Had you read the prior posts, you would know why I have Midtown in my profile.

Quote:
How? If you are interested in nightlife would you want advice from someone who is 21? I wouldn't! I am 30, have lived in Atlanta and grew up in central/north Jersey which is close to Philadelphia. Your OP is generic without talking about weather preferences, food, sports, nightlife, ethnicity, etc.... Very generic and it makes the situation harder for those responding.

And sorry if my comment about accents was offensive but I live in Jersey (near Philly) and you will hear stuff like that quite a bit here so get use to it.

Since you live in Atlanta and already know about the city my advice would be to post in the Philadelphia forum.

Feel free to DM me with questions, I am familiar with Philly a little, but more the suburbs. I have lived in Atlanta and visit Philly several times a year so feel free to DM me.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times
Quote:
Thanks for asking. Dense and walkable.

Climate---I am open as long as it's not t100 plus degrees for long periods of time.

No, no suburbs at all. It would be lonely out there for a single man. Not to mention lofts/brownstones are usually in the city.
If dense and walkable are high on your list, then it's Philly.

Philadelphia density: https://www.flickr.com/photos/beyond...57633049989738
Atlanta density: https://www.flickr.com/photos/beyond...57633049989738

As for weather, you will note a difference in summer intensity if you are coming the north. I personally enjoy four full-on seasons:

(my photo)

With regard to your housing preferences, being a classical northeast city, you will find an abundance of re-furbished lofts for sale or rent in Philly, with especially large concentrations in Old City, Northern Liberties and a neighborhood actually named the Loft District (Philadelphia's "Loft District" is still going strong). When we lived in Houston, most of the properties marketed as "lofts" were really brand new construction laid out in an open style - not industrial conversions. An Atlantan can weigh in with their knowledge on the loft market in Midtown. As for brownstones, they exist in abundance in Philly, with particularly large concentrations in the Center City neighborhoods of Society Hill, Washington West, and Rittenhouse Square: Google Maps. Not sure about the prevalence of brownstones in ATL.

Finally, you mentioned you are interested in the outdoors. I definitely enjoy the unique mix of urban and natural destinations within a few hours drive of Philadelphia: NYC, DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry, quaint resorts such as Cape May and Rehoboth Beach, Maryland's Eastern Shore, the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, the Pocono mountains, Brandywine Valley, Hudson Valley, Lancaster Amish country, rolling countryside populated with covered bridges, etc. I know Atlanta has number of nice get-aways in its vicinity as well. You will need to decide which appeal more to you.

Best of luck!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Filled with what? Jersey Shore types?

South Philly definitely has some, but nothing in comparison to large swaths of Long Island/Queens, Staten Island, North Jersey, West Chester, etc. And they don't take over our beaches and bars in South Jersey in the Summer like they do in North Jersey in Belmar, Seaside Heights, etc.
Yeah they do. The whole Philly CSA, Philly and AC etc is filled with them. Funny when the stereotype you are making fun of are in your city and metro too. Philly has the worst posters on this site! What's next, are you guys going to start making fun of other cities for their crime?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah they do. The whole Philly CSA, Philly and AC etc is filled with them. Funny when the stereotype you are making fun of are in your city and metro too. Philly has the worst posters on this site! What's next, are you guys going to start making fun of other cities for their crime?
What are you talking about? Did you even read my post? I said South Philly has some but it is nothing like what is all over the New York area. Boston and Philly both have guido's but they are not known around the World for it like in NYC. In Philly we go to Sea Isle City, Avalon, Ocean City, Cape May-completely guido-free. New Yorkers go to Seaside Heights, Belmar and turn it into MTV's The Jersey Shore. It's pretty well known that the New York/North Jersey area takes guidoism to a new level. Philly has the second largest Italian-American population yet it's Italians for the most part are much cooler and more authentic.

And stop acting like posters from one city are a monolithic group. I have never met anyone off this site, I am only responsible for my own opinion.

Anyway, to the OP I am actually planning on stopping in Atlanta in May on my way down to New Orleans. It seems like a very cool city and I have been interested in it lately but I have a few personal hesitations about moving there:

1. Far from a beach-Philly is an hour to the beach
2. Car-centric
3. Unappealing culture outside of Atlanta-This is somewhat of a problem outside of the Philly area in Pennsylvania too but at least there is NYC, DC, Baltimore close by. If Philly has such issues getting along with people in the middle of Pennsylvania, I can't imagine how the relations are with the rest of Georgia and Atlanta.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,070,822 times
Quote:
How is someone qualified to speak about nightlife when they just turned 21? Lol at that!
Nightlife is more then just bars...as far as I'm concerned, clubs are apart of nightlife and the clubs here cater to more then just AAs. Try going to Opera or Quad in Midtown.

Quote:
Ironic coming from the person who said everyone in Atlanta sounds country and inbred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City