Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
Phoenix, Arizona 33 27.50%
Atlanta, Georgia 60 50.00%
Orlando, Florida 27 22.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM

582 posts, read 1,175,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thanks for the subpar pictures coming from a subpar downtown.

Atlanta is a metro of 6,092,295 with only 432,427 ppl in the city, only 14% in the CSA live in the city limits.

I can think of many metro areas with less ppl with better or equal downtowns..... Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, San Diego, Portland, Pittsburgh. I expect more from a 6 million metro!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,074,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Atlanta's DT is not subpar???
Yes, I think Atlanta's downtown is subpar for how large it's metro is, but to be honest, it's probably one of the best downtowns out of the sunbelt cities of metros over 4 million. Houston and Dallas definitely not better then Atlanta.

Problem is Atlanta is concentrating too much on Midtown and not downtown. Most of the stuff being built in Downtown caters to tourists....So you have a densely built western half of downtown and a less densely built east half of downtown.

But you can't sit here and lie and tell me PHX's downtown is better then Atlanta. That would be laughable.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM

171 posts, read 324,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yes, I think Atlanta's downtown is subpar for how large it's metro is, but to be honest, it's probably one of the best downtowns out of the sunbelt cities of metros over 4 million. Houston and Dallas definitely not better then Atlanta.

Problem is Atlanta is concentrating too much on Midtown and not downtown. Most of the stuff being built in Downtown caters to tourists....So you have a densely built western half of downtown and a less densely built east half of downtown.

But you can't sit here and lie and tell me PHX's downtown is better then Atlanta. That would be laughable.
Who is stating that PHX's downtown is better than Atlanta's? I'm not sure why some posters continue to rant and rave about it when it's not being disputed. Let's remember Atlanta posters that Phoenicians don't typically bash other cities on CD since they are usually trying to ward off the bashers from other cities who make faulty assumptions about their city unless they are being provoked to. Phoenix doesn't need to apologize for what it is. It's a city in the desert surrounded by beautiful surroundings. It's hotels aren't all lined up downtown in hi-rises...they are rather resorts with beautiful pools and golf courses. It has the same types of amenities as other large metros, yet Phoenix doesn't need to be a carbon copy of every other city and I truly wish people would get that through their thick skulls.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,202 times
Hi guys,

I made this video earlier today (shot the footage the other day though). It's a drive through downtown up Peachtree and you can see all of the pedestrians downtown gets as well as some of the architecture. At 1:28 you can see the new tracks being laid down for the streetcar. It gives a general feel of Atlanta's core. There's some of midtown toward the end too. Enjoy!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,092,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Hogwash.Im not saying I know the answers, but I do know how to listen to people. As a minority and an American I constantly battle my convictions as a human being vs what is my periotic duty to vote in a way that is in the best interest of my country. Its about informing yourself of the issues that affect the whole country. Those decisions about the border is a national problem that just happens to start a the local level. I may not live there but I am a U.S. citizen.

This is why the rest of the US has not really helped the cause of the border states. You say "butt-out", so they have. Now you can't get any legislation passed that helps fix things.
You're clearly a Democrat, and I'm certain you voted for President Obama last November. However, your vote doesn't count because you live in a state that is overwhelmingly Republican.

What's the point of voting in GA if you're a Democrat?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,472,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
You're clearly a Democrat, and I'm certain you voted for President Obama last November. However, your vote doesn't count because you live in a state that is overwhelmingly Republican.

What's the point of voting in GA if you're a Democrat?
Overwhelming?

There was only an 8% margin favoring Mitt Romney in the presidential election. Not exactly overwhelmingly Republican. Now conservative, on the other hand.....

Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,410,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Overwhelming?

There was only an 8% margin favoring Mitt Romney in the presidential election. Not exactly overwhelmingly Republican. Now conservative, on the other hand.....
Exactly! So many people on City Data have this idea that Georgia is just one big ultra Republican haven and there are plenty of conservatives here. But despite that the Republicans just barely carried the State last election and most of the larger cities in the State vote Democrat. So that tells you there are plenty of people here that aren't conservative. Add to that the fact that the demographics here are steadily changing with many of the new people coming in being people from urban areas in the Northeast and Midwest with their political sensibilities.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 AM

3,717 posts, read 5,247,004 times
both arizona and georgia are red states, florida is the only democratic one

Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM

582 posts, read 1,175,957 times
I have lived in Phoenix and Atlanta and only visited Orlando. I could live in Phoenix and Atlanta again. I wouldn't be thrilled about either though. Orlando to me is not worth the time or experience.

In order of preferences is Phoenix, Atlanta and Orlando.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,028,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I have lived in Phoenix and Atlanta and only visited Orlando. I could live in Phoenix and Atlanta again. I wouldn't be thrilled about either though. Orlando to me is not worth the time or experience.

In order of preferences is Phoenix, Atlanta and Orlando.
Orlando not worth the time? Did you check out Park Ave in Winter Park, Ivanhoe Village, College Park, and Thornton Park/Lake Eola? There are more cool local enclaves in Orlando than most people know.

Ivanhoe Village was just mentioned in USA Today in their "10 best neighborhoods that tourists haven't found yet"

USA TODAY: 10 best neighborhoods that tourists haven't found yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City