Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,558 times

Advertisements

And no annoying slide show!!!

2013 rankings: Best places for young adults - The Business Journals

Here is the top 20. More listed on site.

1. Austin
2. San Jose
3. Washington
4. Boston
5. Houston
6. Durham, N.C.
7. Oklahoma City
8. Des Moines, Iowa
9. Denver
10. Raleigh
11. Madison, Wis.
12. San Francisco-Oakland
13. New York City
14. Seattle
15. Dallas-Fort Worth
16. Salt Lake City
17. Omaha
18. San Antonio
19. Provo, Utah
20. Columbus

Yet another list where San Antonio trails Austin. Philly boosters, you're number 36!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Surprises me not to see Portland on this list, given its popularity with young people. Boston, Seattle, and San Francisco are however. Austin is always at the top of every one of these lists.

In closer examination of the article, it appears this list focuses on economy only. Things such as 'hip', walkable, and political atmosphere, all of which are very important to young adults, were not touched on.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:32 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Surprises me not to see Portland on this list, given its popularity with young people. Boston, Seattle, and San Francisco are however. Austin is always at the top of every one of these lists.

In closer examination of the article, it appears this list focuses on economy only. Things such as 'hip', walkable, and political atmosphere, all of which are very important to young adults, were not touched on.
What?

Are you seriously downplaying economic opportunities for something as baseless as the city's ability to be "hip"?

I don't know about you but I'm nearly positive, seeing as how I'm a young adult that I care for where I can get a job paying me handsomely for my qualifications without taking advantage of my "work hours" by a meager pay. What a drone life. I'm nearly positive that anyone with a good head on their shoulders will go after the money and prestige for their resumes than "hip" but then again, we live in America, nothing comes as a shock anymore.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
What?

Are you seriously downplaying economic opportunities for something as baseless as the city's ability to be "hip"?

I don't know about you but I'm nearly positive, seeing as how I'm a young adult that I care for where I can get a job paying me handsomely for my qualifications without taking advantage of my "work hours" by a meager pay. What a drone life. I'm nearly positive that anyone with a good head on their shoulders will go after the money and prestige for their resumes than "hip" but then again, we live in America, nothing comes as a shock anymore.
You do have good points. Once you hit 30, 'hip' no longer applies to you while the career foundation you laid in your twenties stays with you. That doesn't discount the fact that lifestyle outside of work is very important to today's twentysomethings.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:

According to the highly esteemed Business Journal you live in the 7th best city for young adults in the nation... Why can't you just be happy and stop worrying about Portland?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Forbes also did a list and an article on the best cities for downhill skiing. Here's the list:

1. Houston
2. Raleigh
3. Austin
4. Dallas/Fort Worth
5. Washington DC
6. San Jose
7. San Antonio
8. Boston
9. New York
10. Miami

(Honorable mention: Denver)

Rumor has it that the Planet Texas Chamber of Commerce exchanged bribes for more good publicity, but Forbes insists that they did their due diligence by looking at a whole bunch of other "best cities" lists and forming a formula of some sort.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
That doesn't discount the fact that lifestyle outside of work is very important to today's twentysomethings.
Which sort of lifestyle?

Let's be honest here, most people in America lead identical lives. They wake up, brush their teeth, floss, take a shower, shave, grab breakfast, get in a car or train or bus and go to work, where they spend most of their day, go out for lunch then get back to their office, then get back in a car or train or a bus and come home, relax for an hour or two, eat dinner, watch something on television and then they do some work before brushing their teeth, flossing, showering, and going to bed. Next day, they repeat.

Want to get more "exotic" with it? They save that for the weekends, like normal people. They go to a few bars, go shopping either by themselves or with company, go to a few ball games, possibly go to a night club and then they come straight on back home to deal with their bills and their real life.

Under-achieving hipsters live off their parents in college and beyond and I used to fit the mold of one of those when I lived in Austin. Effortless protests on Congress Avenue, getting hella drunk, rolling a J and then smoking it, wearing my belt sideways cause it "looked distinguishably cool", coloring my shoe laces so they don't look the same as others, wearing multiple wristbands that said trash like "be active", "live strong", "save the whales", "Pacifica convention 2011" and then a hippie rainbow colored stretch bracelet with some surfer dude necklace with a artificial shark's tooth as the pendant, and comsuming life by meeting up pot dealers at the local 7/11 and exchanging texts that read "hey what car are you in?", "oh I'm in the metallic blue G35", "I'm interested in picking up an eighth", "get in my car, make sure no one sees you", and then lots of "yo bro whats up, here's the $55 for the dank 8th, catch you next time" along with lots and lots of "bro" style handshakes and rejoicing how hella awesome tonights going to be and a follow up text "oh my gosh bro, this smells like some hella dank man", and getting a response like "it's ghostface killa". Then getting with some home boys and smoking it all via vape, bong, and joints while drinking and trancing out then going to a rave and getting some E and waking up the next morning to stare in the mirror and say "gosh, I really need to get my life together, college student here living off parents, blowing their money, going no where in life, going hiking and smoking joints all day and smoking joints and wasting life away by night". So yeah, you want to live that youthful and playful lifestyle where you're listening to Ryan Cabrera's "on my way down" when you get stopped by a cop for possession of Marijuana, is like a simple fine and a slap on the wrist because it's so "accepted" in society and where raving and doing ecstacy or LSD is "all good bro", then yeah Austin is a great place for that. Great place to take some shrooms and go hiking and exploring the wilderness too while looking at the stars and not caring at all about the ongoings of the next day. Not all of Austin is like that, lots of people there are hard working and serious about life but it's the "hip lifestyle" city of choice, right? It lives up to that hype.

Then it finally hits you, to cut it out and get serious. Make a career for yourself, build your resume, and get the credentials to be anywhere you aspire to be in life.

So yeah, hipsters and being in a "hip" place is cool when you're in college, stilling living off your parents and pulling shenanigans on a daily basis after college then that's just quite sad. Go where the capital is and where you have the most opportunistic chance at climbing in life, socially, financially, physically, and emotionally and things fall in place. Glad to see not all young adults care about "living" the "hip" lifestyle and want to focus on creating a financially stable lifestyle.

People make mistakes, I consider this whole hipster phase thing to be one. It's why I embraced moving to Washington because if I stayed in Austin it would be too difficult being away from those shenanigans. No regrets whatsoever.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-26-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Despite the fact that Raleigh & Durham continue to be looked at as separate entities instead of as one Metro, they both make the top ten. The Triangle gets diluted and its two parts still rise to the top group.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Despite the fact that Raleigh & Durham continue to be looked at as separate entities instead of as one Metro, they both make the top ten. The Triangle gets diluted and its two parts still rise to the top group.
Agreed. Raleigh-Durham should be considered one metro. It acts as one and that would put it closing in on Charlotte population-wise.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Philly boosters, you're number 36!
We're not hip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City