Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I comparing DC satellite cities vs. Philly's satellite cities. More specifically the downtown areas.

Wilmington DE is no where near Center City. Neither is Reading PA. That's like me including downtown Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree on this. In many ways, these areas feel like they've blown the roof off of shopping malls and added housing. Sometimes a little office space. For the most part, though, they still function the same way a mall does. You drive to it, park in a garage, and walk around a 0.1 sq. mile area that's like an isolated urban island in a sea of suburbia.

Bethesda is huge. A shopping mall? Really?

Downtown Bethesda is pretty big
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...=10&sz=17&z=15

Downtown Bethesda high-rise's either under construction or about to break ground

7770 Norfolk (244 Units)
Woodmont View (46 Units)
The Lauren (25 Units)
4915 Hampden Lane (60 Units)
8300 Wisconsin Avenue (300 Units)
7900 Wisconsin (475 Units)
The Fairmont (70 Units)
The Gallery of Bethesda (234 Units)
The Gallery of Bethesda II (221 Units)
Arlington Road (145 Units)
The Darcy (88 Units)
7001 Arlington Road (140 Units)
Bainbridge Bethesda (200 Units)
The Flats (Lot 31) (162 Units)

Total Units: 2,410 Units

Downtown Bethesda will be one of the terminus stations of the Purple Line

PurpleLine Flyover Video - YouTube

Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wilmington DE is no where near Center City. Neither is Reading PA. That's like me including downtown Baltimore
Well places like Bethesda, Fairfax, Silver Spring, Alexandria, etc are not located in DC city proper, so it wouldn't be fair to compare all of those downtown areas against Center City alone. That would be like adding places like Culver City, Pasadena, and Santa Monica as being part of Downtown LA and comparing it to Manhattan.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-19-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
What he's saying is, what used to be developed as shopping malls and other businesses with suburban houses allover an area has now been clustered into street level node development with retail/business, a few housing nearby, but still predominantly surrounded by suburbs. Any look on an aerial map will show this. So say if I want to go on a bike ride or long walk through the so called "city" I am quickly into suburban development. The general attitude and way of life more resembles the burbs than a major city. Part of "city life" is the way in which you interact with the built environment.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well places like Bethesda, Fairfax, Silver Spring, Alexandria, etc are not located in DC city proper, so it wouldn't be fair to compare all of those downtown areas against Center City alone. That would be like adding places Culver City, Pasadena, and Santa Monica as part of Downtown LA and comparing it to Manhattan.

I was never comparing them to Center City. I don't really know where that came from honestly. D.C's Core from Columbia Heights to Capital Riverfront and Foggy Bottom to Atlas District has Philly's core beat anyway. That is what KidPhilly and I have been debating for the last few pages. Philly as a city is more urban than D.C., but D.C.'s core is built up more making it more urban than Philly's core.

I guess a summary could be, Philly wins the whole city, D.C. wins the core of the city, Philly wins the center of the city. Pick your poison I guess.

Silver Spring, Bethesda, Rosslyn-Ballston, Pentagon City, Alexandria, Potomac Yards, Crystal City are being compared to the area's outside Center City. The point I am making is after Center City, there aren't any other area's with a significant downtown level of intensity in the city of Philadelphia that I can think of. Maybe I am wrong and I would love to see them if you could post some. All the area's I just named in D.C. would actually be in the city limits of Philadelphia anyway when comparing land mass. That mean's D.C. has it's core like Philly has it's core, but D.C. also has major downtown's right near it's core and Philadelphia doesn't have anything at that level of intensity other than Center City. I will give you an example, I want to go somewhere other than Center City for an urban experience, with high-rise's and subway access, where do I go?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What he's saying is, what used to be developed as shopping malls and other businesses with suburban houses allover an area has now been clustered into street level node development with retail/business, a few housing nearby, but still predominantly surrounded by suburbs. Any look on an aerial map will show this. So say if I want to go on a bike ride or long walk through the so called "city" I am quickly into suburban development. The general attitude and way of life more resembles the burbs than a major city. Part of "city life" is the way in which you interact with the built environment.

Actually, I'm saying that our suburbs are more urban than everyone else's suburbs. D.C. proper can hold it's own and doesn't need the suburbs. That's what the last 5 pages have been for. I'm saying we not only have D.C., but even our suburbs are building their own downtown's with thousands of people living in high-rise's which no other city can say with subway access to boot.

Also let's be real here, many of D.C.'s suburban downtown's are more urban than every downtown but the top 12-15 probably in the nation. Can you name more than 12-15 downtown's nationally that are more urban than D.C.'s suburban downtown's?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm saying that our suburbs are more urban than everyone else's suburbs. D.C. proper can hold it's own and doesn't need the suburbs. That's what the last 5 pages have been for. I'm saying we not only have D.C., but even our suburbs are building their own downtown's with thousands of people living in high-rise's which no other city can say with subway access to boot.

Also let's be real here, many of D.C.'s suburban downtown's are more urban than every downtown but the top 12-15 probably in the nation. Can you name more than 12-15 downtown's nationally that are more urban than D.C.'s suburban downtown's?
Lol...

Old 10-19-2013, 03:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:

Umm yes.

nyc, la, sf, san diego, chicago, baltimore, st louis, kansas city, milwaukee, minneapolis, dallas, houston, austin, portland, seattle, atlanta, providence, boston, newark, philadelphia, new orleans, sacramento, denver, cincinatti, cleveland, oakland, columbus, pittsburgh, nashville, miami, etc. etc.

I agree that your suburbs are more urban than others suburbs, but they are also ... surrounded by suburban development.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:27 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
The point I am making is after Center City, there aren't any other area's with a significant downtown level of intensity in the city of Philadelphia that I can think of. Maybe I am wrong and I would love to see them if you could post some. All the area's I just named in D.C. would actually be in the city limits of Philadelphia anyway when comparing land mass. That mean's D.C. has it's core like Philly has it's core, but D.C. also has major downtown's right near it's core and Philadelphia doesn't have anything at that level of intensity other than Center City. I will give you an example, I want to go somewhere other than Center City for an urban experience, with high-rise's and subway access, where do I go?
I already provided that answer when it comes to areas outside the city limits but when it comes to areas within city limits, areas like University City and Templetown fit those qualities perfectly.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 PM

137 posts, read 220,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Lol...
co-sign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City