Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:40 PM

13,687 posts, read 15,591,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well there is no shortage of high end restaurants in CC either way. And it seems yes people are opening in DC like Starr after their time in Philly, NYC and Miami

I don't really know what the appeal is for D.C. with this mad dash to open here and I'm one of the biggest supporters of D.C. saying that. I mean, you have staples and trademarks from cities across the country that are coming here. Who would have thought The Tadich Grill which is the oldest restaurant in all of San Francisco and one of the oldest in the nation would want to come to D.C. before going to a city like New York etc.? I don't get it but they all must know something I don't. Maybe it speaks at how far D.C. is removed from where it used to be. Apart of me is happy about the new city, but another part of me misses the cultural aspects of the old D.C. When I look around, that D.C. doesn't even exist anymore. It's just one big construction zone all over the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't really know what the appeal is for D.C. with this mad dash to open here and I'm one of the biggest supporters of D.C. saying that. I mean, you have staples and trademarks from cities across the country that are coming here. Who would have thought The Tadich Grill which is the oldest restaurant in all of San Francisco and one of the oldest in the nation would want to come to D.C. before going to a city like New York etc.? I don't get it but they all must know something I don't. Maybe it speaks at how far D.C. is removed from where it used to be. Apart of me is happy about the new city, but another part of me misses the cultural aspects of the old D.C. When I look around, that D.C. doesn't even exist anymore. It's just one big construction zone all over the city.

DC is awesome

Old 10-31-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
DC is awesome
You know, whether you were being sarcastic or not, I am actually being serious. I love development from a career standpoint so I know and follow what is happening around the region, however, I often overlook the things people are shouting and screaming about everyday here in D.C.

Normally when people say D.C. has no character, I just brush it off because I know different, but now I realize who they are talking about. The people who gave D.C. it's culture are leaving the city. Shoot, many are leaving NYC, Philly, and Bmore too. It's a migration that makes me wonder about the future population of the city. Will I have more in common with people outside of the city than within? Will the appeal of the city diminish because of it? It pains me to say it, but it's already happening. A city is made by it's people. If those people aren't there anymore.........

Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 AM

MD - Sort of Ironic on the restaurant discussion

A new chef from Chicago opening in a shiny new high rise in Philly - sort of what you said and I said not as frequent here - thought it ironic a day or two later

Chicago restaurateur coming to Center City

"Michael Klein, Philly.com
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 4:43 PM

New York restaurateurs have been parachuting into Philly of late.

Here's one from Chicago, and this deal is a big one for Rittenhouse Square.

Alfredo Sandoval, who owns the upmarket Mexican restaurants Mercadito in Chicago, New York and Miami, will install a branch - twinned up with his cocktail bar Double A - at 2116 Chestnut St., the new high-rise at 22d and Chestnut Streets. (And less than two blocks from Stephen Starr's El Rey.)"...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
MD - Sort of Ironic on the restaurant discussion

A new chef from Chicago opening in a shiny new high rise in Philly - sort of what you said and I said not as frequent here - thought it ironic a day or two later

Chicago restaurateur coming to Center City

"Michael Klein, Philly.com
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013, 4:43 PM

New York restaurateurs have been parachuting into Philly of late.

Here's one from Chicago, and this deal is a big one for Rittenhouse Square.

Alfredo Sandoval, who owns the upmarket Mexican restaurants Mercadito in Chicago, New York and Miami, will install a branch - twinned up with his cocktail bar Double A - at 2116 Chestnut St., the new high-rise at 22d and Chestnut Streets. (And less than two blocks from Stephen Starr's El Rey.)"...

So does this make Philly boring and uninteresting like D.C.?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So does this make Philly boring and uninteresting like D.C.?
I dont think DC is boring or uninteresting (a little different but also unique in some ways as it probably blends new with density better than anyplace these days). Just presonally prefer organic spaces - well a mix. DC even with newer construction is getting better all the time

I just found this particular press release ironic based on the discusion we had a few days ago

I think you misunderstand me. I actually enjoy DC and see it getting better. I just dont always agree with all your assertions, subjective points - some do some dont Objectively DC is building like crazy

Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,607,708 times
MDAllstar

To answer your question on Camden…. yes I think Camden has so much potential… even if it employed 50,000 or so it would be a great addition. Would love it if it was similar to Wilmington, DE. Sure most people who worked in Camden would still live in Center City and take the PATCO line over into Camden for work, but it would definitely draw some interest in the city and start revitalizing some neighborhoods around the waterfront/downtown area. However, Camden can not sit around and wait for Center City and surrounding areas to become built out and expensive… New Jersey needs to act NOW. The state shows no love for the Southern half of the state. They should cut business taxes in Camden and offer incentives to developers. Creating the Camden County wide police force is definitely a first step in the right direction on fighting crime in the city. Camden could be a crown Jewel for South Jersey… it could be South Jersey's Jersey City.

There is a plan for some office space on the waterfront, so Camden seems to be drawing some developers. This same firm has a proposal on the table for five 240 foot residential towers on the Philadelphia side of the waterfront.

Trade Center Office complex
http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/...521-mmmain.png

Dranoff properties has also had a proposal on the table for a large residential/retail/office complex in Camden as well. This was proposed before the economic crash but he is showing some interest in getting things going on the project again soon
Coopers Crossing - Dranoff Properties

Also, looks like the Aquarium will be building an observation tower to offer views of the Philadelphia skyline
Observation tower in Camden promises views of city, Philadelphia skyline | NJ.com

There is hope, so let's pray it picks up soon and Camden sees a turn around.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 AM

165 posts, read 275,003 times
Philadelphia is more dense

Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 AM

281 posts, read 470,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Philadelphia is more dense
Forgot to add "and urban"

Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 PM

165 posts, read 275,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Forgot to add "and urban"
Ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City