Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,562,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Thunder View Post
I think people in other cities are just jealous of Austin. Coolest town in America and there's no beach. They've figured a way to make the best of being an inland city. It's safe, friendly people, lots of stuff to do, good places to eat, lots of fun events every year, something is always going on in Austin, good vibe all over the town, good weather, the only thing Austin lacks is an ocean front beach. The only downside is rent is high here compared to Midwest and Southern states, but rent is cheap when compared to east and west coast states. Groceries are about the same as other Southern and Midwest states. Austin's a good bargain for people who like to have a good time. I'd put any town against Austin and Austin would be hard to beat.

IMO, I don't think its that difficult:

Tonight Aug 5
Clear
102°F Observed High2:45 pm
76°F
Clear
Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 15 mph
Details

Tue Aug 6
Sunny
104°
77°
Sunny
Chance of rain:0% Wind:SSW at 13 mph
Details

Wed Aug 7
Sunny
105°
76°
Sunny
Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 13 mph
Details

Thu Aug 8
Sunny
105°
75°
Sunny
Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 7 mph
Details

Fri Aug 9
Sunny
102°
77°
Sunny
Chance of rain:0% Wind:SE at 5 mph
Details

Sat Aug 10
Partly Cloudy
96°
76°
Partly Cloudy
Chance of rain:20% Wind:ENE at 5 mph
Details

Sun Aug 11
Partly Cloudy
97°
76°
Partly Cloudy
Chance of rain:20% Wind:E at 6 mph
Details

Mon Aug 12
Sunny
98°
76°
Sunny
Chance of rain:0% Wind:SSE at 5 mph
Details

Tue Aug 13
Sunny
101°
76°
Sunny
Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 5 mph
Details

Wed Aug 14
Sunny
102°
76°
Sunny
Chance of rain:0% Wind:S at 5 mph
Details
10 Day Weather Forecast for Austin - weather.com

Last edited by nslander; 08-05-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,479 times
High of 105 today, over 100 the next 7 days in a row (didn't look out any further). I love Austin, to me the only thing not to recommend is its brutal heat half the year.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:50 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
All these cities are overrated on city data also, so there is no surprise...
There aren't really any overrated or underrated. It's human nature to like or dislike something and to tell anyone interested in your opinion of what you think. I myself did it for Seattle, overrated isn't how I'd describe it but instead it was a pleasant surprise I suppose. Everything I expected out of it, I didn't find but things I was never looking for were surprisingly great enough to cancel out any negative experiences.

You mention City-Data and I cant remember if this example is from here or one of several other forums but:

I know of one case on forums like these, I believe the guy is a divorce case, "seems" like a nice person but a bit over emotionally attached to all things his ex-wife or all things his city (he sort of comes across as someone who thinks his town is the holy land, hah). Because of where she's from or lives in, this guy hates not just her city or metropolitan but the entire state. Obsessively. At times even drinks and them comes online to vent about how much he hates the place, despite never having lived or having been in a while. I don't remember who or exactly where this person posts but remember seeing it a long while back and shook my head in dissatisfaction that people can be so easily swayed.

I suppose that's what alcohol does, amplifies those feelings but everyones different. Some will think of overrated just because their ex is from there, some based off actual experiences, others from what other people have said, truth is, everyone seems to have a motive.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
As a former Chicagoan myself, I can wholeheartedly say I AGREE with Chicago being overrated.

Yes, there's awesome shopping, eating, and a diversity of things to do in the north side of downtown. But on the south side of downtown, there's the business district and when people aren't being all stressed out, when all the people have gone home, it's a ghost town, except for the Loop. I see tourists passing through the Loop after dark and they're frightened, yes frightened, because the streets around the loop are either deserted or sketchy.

Don't get me wrong, there's still lots of fun to be had in Chicago, but to me it had tons more character, culture, and things going for it in the 90s. The Bulls basically put all other sports teams in any sport to shame for most of the decade. Pop culture was being absorbed and translated, and the area was being revitalized.

But somewhere along the way, everything became too touristy, too same, too big. There's still hope, but I only go back there when I want to see family.

I also agree with San Francisco. The mass transit system is showing its age, BADLY. And I don't mean the kitschy cable cars or street cars. The buses are woefully antiquated. I don't think there's a single bus I saw there that was newer than vintage late 80s. Where did my bus fare go? Probably the over-inflated ego and salary of the bus driver or his bosses. The BART upholstered seats probably is infested with 40 years of sweat, farts, and other bodily fluids I didn't want to think about as I squished into my seat. Market street is just a mess with busybodies, tourists, and violent homeless people. The Embarcadero and the market is mildly interesting, but mostly it is a tourist trap. Everything in San Fran is a tourist trap now.

Wholly agree with avoiding San Fran and seeing the other parts of the area first. With wine country closeby, and the infinitely more authentic east bay side, you won't be sorry you left San Fran itself. Do visit Chinatown, but the rest of the town you can skip.

Also wholly agree with Vancouver being overrated. HIGHLY overrated. The biggest thing it has going for it is the 19 year old legal to drink age limit and the hot girls at the dance clubs, which put Seattle to shame. The rest of it though is confusing. I will say it probably has, bar none, the best beach scenery (not the female variety) with mountains in plain view most days, and Whistler is close by. Other than that though, Seattle or Portland would do you just as well, and you don't have to suffer US Customs on the return trip. Oh, which is overrun by Canadians going INTO America for cheap shopping now that the USD is par with the CAD. Totally agree to SKIP Vancouver and go see some of the most beautiful scenery in the world in the Pacific NW. For coffee or music go to Portland or Seattle.

I would say Seattle is also overrated. For residents it's a great city. Relatively safe, lots of things to do, not totally overrun by tourists, and not full of itself either like Chicago or Vancouver. But in the grand scheme of things, the Seattle Center is nothing but the Space Needle, a weird museum to music, and Dave Chuhily's huge ego (rightfully deserved, the man's a genius, but he makes no bones about the fact we're paying him to not leave the dreary rain-soaked PNW for warmer, sunnier pastures); the rest of the city is best enjoyed by the residents. I'd argue the same for Portland.
You have obviously been away from Chicago for a while, and left obviously with a chip on your shoulder. The Loop, since you have left and moved on, has been one of the fastest growing downtowns in the country population wise. I work in the Loop; while ten years ago it might have felt somewhat deserted, with the new hotels in the area and the increased population, it is almost hopping at night, and more crowded sometimes than I would like on my way to the train. You need to visit us more often, and then write about your experiences soon after your visit so that everything is accurate, my friend.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
NyC been overrated. To me

Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 PM

555 posts, read 591,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
What does it have that most every other big city doesn't? Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge? Every city has their own man made structures that people enjoy seeing. NYC is just another big city that is over hyped all the time. However, if you're all about celebrities and all of that non sense I can see why people love it.
What NYC offers and no other city im thr us can. is an actual world-class culture: world famous museums, theaters, opera houses, ballet, journalism and most of all a real urban experience, without a need for a car and with real neighborhoods where within a WALKING distance you can get anything you need.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Ignoring the other places in the world he mentioned and keeping this to just the North American ones.

1. Austin
2. San Francisco
4. Vancouver
5. Denver/Colorado
7. Chicago
9. Asheville

David Landsel: 10 Terribly Overrated Destinations (And Where To Travel Instead)

Any expressions after reading the commentary for the North American cities? Agree or disagree? Why?

Ironically I disagree with David Landsel on every single one of them (for the North American ones at least), particularly because for me I find all those cities in their respective regions to be the most livable and interesting (again for me). I'll give him this though, while much of what he described about the personalities he encountered in most of those cities (cant comment on Asheville), I've noticed it too, I think he went way too much on the people everywhere rather than the actual cities itself. Hilarious stuff though.

As a reminder though, let's keep this conversation only to the North American cities he mentioned.

Chicago is definitely overrated. Often presented as a more livable and cheaper, "family version" of New York, Chicago has much more crime and offers none of the cultural experience of New York. Beautiful Chicago downtown is mostly office building and becomes ghost town outside of business hours and outside of downtown Chicago is mostly filled with ugly rows of single family houses and rundown infrastructure. Chicago has the most fiscal problems of all big cities besides Detroit, rampant crime, segregation and terrible winters.
To realize how overrated it is just remember that this third largest us city has virtually no cultural elite: almost none of the "rich and famous" chose to live in Chicago.
Overrated.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Chicago is definitely overrated. Often presented as a more livable and cheaper, "family version" of New York, Chicago has much more crime and offers none of the cultural experience of New York. Beautiful Chicago downtown is mostly office building and becomes ghost town outside of business hours and outside of downtown Chicago is mostly filled with ugly rows of single family houses and rundown infrastructure. Chicago has the most fiscal problems of all big cities besides Detroit, rampant crime, segregation and terrible winters.
To realize how overrated it is just remember that this third largest us city has virtually no cultural elite: almost none of the "rich and famous" chose to live in Chicago.
Overrated.
Still trying to kill Chicago? It's not going to work...just too many people like it...in spite of what you say!!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Huffington Post's list of most overrated cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Still trying to kill Chicago? It's not going to work...just too many people like it...in spite of what you say!!
According to us census bureau: less and less.

I don't have any impact on what people think about Chicago but based on official census numbers showing continuous population loss in last five decades, national media coverage of Chicago's crime problem and the fact that the elites virtually ignore Chicago as a location to settle down, I don't think any other us city is as overrated as Chicago.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
High of 105 today, over 100 the next 7 days in a row (didn't look out any further). I love Austin, to me the only thing not to recommend is its brutal heat half the year.

It's only brutal for about two months out of the year. And there's plenty of AC as well as lakes and rivers and shopping and museums and restaurants and night spots to offset the heat! Austin is a fabulous city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City