Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times

Advertisements

Austin is nowhere near what it used to be. It's now a big, big city, and the traffic there is much worse than in San Antonio.

Note that the title of the thread is deceptive. It is not a list of the most overrated cities, but of the most overrated destinations for travelers (one of which is a country, and the other a geographical region of more than a dozen countries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,273,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

What they mentioned about Prague instead of Berlin was spot on. Granted, I'd still go to Berlin again, but it would be a day trip on my way to Prague Prague was equally interesting, fun, and far cheaper (and more friendly!).
I strongly disagree. One is a bustling, sophisticated, cosmopolitan metropolis. The other is a disneyfied tourist town with a severe 80s hangover. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,684,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
In all honesty, if people feel the city is too fast paced too relax all they really to do is drive up to somewhere more quite like Long Island or somewhere else close by in NY state. Even for living, Staten Island can be pretty quite and suburban. And maybe it's my age but personally I prefer vacations where I can always do things.

As far expensive goes you have realize that you get paid a lot in NYC too. It's still probably ends up as kind of expensive I guess but no place is perfect. Cost is probably one of the top reasons why I'm not packing my bags in moving to NYC right now.
Again this discussion is about vacation destinations

the following do not matter:

-pay scale
-suburban living
-driving away from the destination for another

You are trying to remove the context too much, which is essential at trying to understand the original premise of the discussion.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM

669 posts, read 908,367 times
Quote:
Again this discussion is about vacation destinations

the following do not matter:

-pay scale
-suburban living
-driving away from the destination for another

You are trying to remove the context too much, which is essential at trying to understand the original premise of the discussion.
Actually that does matter if you can drive right next to other places your living to make up what you lack. Your problem was that you don't think NYC is quiet enough for you to take vacations. Quiet places can be found in plenty of numbers in Long Island which is right next to it.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,684,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Actually that does matter if you can drive right next to other places your living to lack what your missing. Your problem was that you don't think NYC is quiet enough for you to take vacations. Quiet places can be found in plenty of numbers in Long Island which is right next to it.
well I'll understand the connotation... but I said relax... not necessarily quiet... but yes many quiet spot are relaxing.

My point still stands. I read your response and most your argument is positioned at looking at NYC as a whole city, but not as a vacation destination.

The thing about Long Island is not many people from outside the are dying to go to NYC just to go out to Long Island. It is a great (and expensive) local getaway, but most people from across the country would go other places... not Long Island.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Based on these responses so far and based upon what I think my reaction would be if my city were listed (and Chicago is my home away from home, so that irked me), it seems like a low blow to call a place "overrated" -- which honestly is one of the more offensive things you could say about just about any city and people would take offense....because it COULD be true -- without having spent a LOT of time researching each and every city and the different individual nooks and crannies of each that make each and every one of them special in their own way (and also special in the hearts of each city's most enthusiastic boosters).

It seems like the author would have to hold a very high esteem from city enthusiasts to be able to make blanket statements like he did, and I'm not sure about the rest of you but I've never heard of him. Now if Jane Jacobs were able to make a list of the most overrated cities, she could probably say whatever she wanted and people would at least listen and understand her POV, even if they didn't agree. I can't think of too many other people who could call so many cities "overrated" though.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 PM

669 posts, read 908,367 times
Quote:
well I'll understand the connotation... but I said relax... not necessarily quiet... but yes many quiet spot are relaxing.

My point still stands. I read your response and most your argument is positioned at looking at NYC as a whole city, but not as a vacation destination.

The thing about Long Island is not many people from outside the are dying to go to NYC just to go out to Long Island. It is a great (and expensive) local getaway, but most people from across the country would go other places... not Long Island.
Well there are plenty of places relax too in Long Island. Don't think I quite understand the point you are trying to make. You were saying that the places in NYC aren't too relaxing because it's too fast paced. Well Long Island isn't fast paced. I agree that that doesn't exactly mean that it will always be relaxing. But that's not what you were talking about. Personally I think a lot of fast paced places in NYC is quite relaxing.

It don't see why it matter in this discussion if people aren't dying to go to Long Island. NYC is the most visited place in the country. But your complain was that there aren't any quiet and relaxing place there for people that wants that. So you have the option of just going driving to Long Island for that. Which shows living or even going on vacations to NYC gives you a lot of variations which was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
How has Denver's air quality IMPROVED in the last 20 years? That seems unlikely given the fact that the city has added almost a million people since then...
Of course it's improved. Maybe you haven't been to Denver when the air quality was good? I mean, it does transition back and forth from great quality, to somewhat bad quality. The thing is, Denver doesn't have a natural barrier on the east, so the smog gets cleared out pretty fast (unless there's a forest fire).

Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
I already said this on another thread, but I think this guy is just really doesn't know what he's talking about. Another thing to take into consideration is that this is just one guys opinion.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,587,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
What does it have that most every other big city doesn't? Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge? Every city has their own man made structures that people enjoy seeing. NYC is just another big city that is over hyped all the time. However, if you're all about celebrities and all of that non sense I can see why people love it.
Please... great public parks, world-class museums and cultural institutions, thriving nabes, beautiful and livable public spaces, incredible redevelopments (such as The High Line) and amazing architecture means overrated to you?
Granted, NYC is far from perfect, but it offers things that are hard to find in the 99% of USA cities.
And don't forget that NYC is still an urban model for several metropolis.

Last edited by italianuser; 04-14-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City