Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
Pacific Design Center - Los Angeles
cesar pelli

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EsYUphbEqy...0/DSC00930.JPG

That is one ugly looking building.

Sheesh, somebody get the gas, if that thing exists I want to raze it down. It's ugliness is cancerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The Archstone Staff said the building has more amenity space than any single residential building in the country. Having a restaurant and room service is nice, but I don't think that can compare to the amenities offered in the Archstone building or the decor of the Archstone building. Their leasing office looks like an Apple Store. In fact, it's called the Apartment Store:

-Waterfall in front of the building entrance
-Best Modern Lobby/Entrance I have seen in any building
-Indoor Movie Theater
-Outdoor Movie Theater
-Roof Top Heated Pool (Open Year Round)
-Roof Top Jacuzzi
-Roof Top Sauna
-Roof Top Lounge
-Roof Top Wave Water Seats for reading or relaxing (water runs down the wall you are siting against into pool for you feet)
-Two Sound Proof Music Rooms (apple computer with music editing software)
-Gym and cycling studio with Oxygen Plant Wall (probably the biggest residential gym you have ever seen)
-Massive Court Yard with waterfalls and trees and illuminating privacy benches
-Infinity Pool in Lobby
-Performance Kitchen with Chef performances from around the city
-Library/Music lounge
-Pet Salon
-Click Computer Cafe Lounge

Voted #1 residential building in D.C.

Here are some pictures from Curbed DC:
What It Looks Like Inside Archstone First & M - Curbed Inside - Curbed DC

Here are more from their website:
Archstone First and M Apartments in Washington DC | Archstone Apartments in DC
So you told munchitup that that Burton Way bldg feels like a Caribbean resort but your building sounds like a cruise ship. LOL

Old 04-16-2013, 03:35 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
That is one ugly looking building.

Sheesh, somebody get the gas, if that thing exists I want to raze it down. It's ugliness is cancerous.
it is like a cancer - it's growing! los angeles, ca - Google Maps

NM that image has the completed Red Building pictured. It grew! Maybe it will spread to that bus depot!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
it is like a cancer - it's growing! los angeles, ca - Google Maps

NM that image has the completed Red Building pictured. It grew! Maybe it will spread to that bus depot!
Yeah that's one atrocious set up for that building.

I've never liked how 19th and 20th century the architecture has been so dominant in Los Angeles. Dislike of anything that looks older than 1990, the year of my birth. It's like the glass on older buildings are painfully cheap, the materials used make them look older, and frankly look like neo-classical spades of technology out of the Flinstone's era. Primitive machine mechanisms, slowed down elevators, clad readied for abesetos to take hold, and most of all weak on LEED.

Luckily, the wave of 21st century stuff is taking foot like a plague all over the world, including this monster in Los Angeles. Sooooo much better than that vibrator going up in one of those other West Coast metropolises. So, so, so, so much better. LCD panels that rival the Asian metropolises of Shanghai and Osaka? Yeah, that's how living in 2013 is meant to be.

I'm cool with the residential homes in the Spanish Belt (Los Angeles included), the Mediterranean red tile homes with palm trees lined and cobble stones for driveways are gorgeous.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-16-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 PM

93 posts, read 158,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Dislike of anything that looks older than 1990, the year of my birth...
ok no comment....

Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
The Archstone Staff said the building has more amenity space than any single residential building in the country. Having a restaurant and room service is nice, but I don't think that can compare to the amenities offered in the Archstone building or the decor of the Archstone building. Their leasing office looks like an Apple Store. In fact, it's called the Apartment Store:

-Waterfall in front of the building entrance
-Best Modern Lobby/Entrance I have seen in any building
-Indoor Movie Theater
-Outdoor Movie Theater
-Roof Top Heated Pool (Open Year Round)
-Roof Top Jacuzzi
-Roof Top Sauna
-Roof Top Lounge
-Roof Top Wave Water Seats for reading or relaxing (water runs down the wall you are siting against into pool for you feet)
-Two Sound Proof Music Rooms (apple computer with music editing software)
-Gym and cycling studio with Oxygen Plant Wall (probably the biggest residential gym you have ever seen)
-Massive Court Yard with waterfalls and trees and illuminating privacy benches
-Infinity Pool in Lobby
-Performance Kitchen with Chef performances from around the city
-Library/Music lounge
-Pet Salon
-Click Computer Cafe Lounge

Voted #1 residential building in D.C.

Here are some pictures from Curbed DC:
What It Looks Like Inside Archstone First & M - Curbed Inside - Curbed DC

Here are more from their website:
Archstone First and M Apartments in Washington DC | Archstone Apartments in DC
That is a laundry list of amenities, I would say First and M may be near the top in terms of amenities, but I wouldn't call it the most upscale building. I think at the highest end of the market (Trump, etc), the clientele expects things like house keeping or room service more so than a theatre room.

This building (rental) in Chicago was just finished and has a pretty good list of amenities, probably more than some higher end buildings, but I wouldn't say it is nearly as upscale.

On another Note, NoMa is really coming along well, It will be interesting to see how the neighborhood matures and develops over the next few years. It is quite the contrast from 2008 when I first saw the area.

Last edited by prelude91; 04-17-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
That is a laundry list of amenities, I would say First and M may be near the top in terms of amenities, but I wouldn't call it the most upscale building.
Definitely not. Even within DC Im sure there are more sought after and prestigious buildings.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM

89 posts, read 179,340 times
Quote:
So far, it seems like Archstone First and M may offer the most amenities of any of these buildings. I am surprised how basic the amenity space is in the towers in Chicago and New York. The interior design could definitely be better. Seems like they put all their money into the units leaving nothing for the building amenities. The one downside I can see of having a tower is they normally have an indoor pool instead of an outdoor pool on the roof. I don't know if it is feasible in many of those buildings to build a rooftop pool though so that is probably why. There are definitely tradeoffs.
why do you prefer an outdoor rooftop pool over an indoor one? An indoor one you can use year round and tend to offer better views than rooftop pools, and once you are past certain heights it gets very windy.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
That is a laundry list of amenities, I would say First and M may be near the top in terms of amenities, but I wouldn't call it the most upscale building. I think at the highest end of the market (Trump, etc), the clientele expects things like house keeping or room service more so than a theatre room.

This building (rental) in Chicago was just finished and has a pretty good list of amenities, probably more than some higher end buildings, but I wouldn't say it is nearly as upscale.

On another Note, NoMa is really coming along well, It will be interesting to see how the neighborhood matures and develops over the next few years. It is quite the contrast from 2008 when I first saw the area.

The First and M building caters to the younger crowd seeking modern luxury. The amenities are things the generation Y values more so than older people most likely. You get more of the no car subway riding, Capital Bikeshare using, pet friendly type of clientele in a building like this. The building in Chicago seems like it would cater to people who are older wanting a more quiet urban lifestyle. The noise and partying that goes on in the NOMA building is everything but quiet and serine.

I would think the people in the Chicago building would live in Georgetown. Georgetown, however, is not modern or innovative. While room service is nice, it's not modern nor is it innovative. It has been around for centuries in the form of maids. I am talking more so about futuristic design and innovative additions. Most of the buildings people have listed aren't really innovative either. I think people may be getting this thread confused with something else. Remember, this was the criteria of the thread:

Quote:
I think this may be fun to see which city offers the most modern residential building with the most amenities around the country. Residential buildings with tons of creative amenities and modern finishes are rising in every major city across the country. What city in the country has the building with the most modernly designed interior, innovative public spaces, and creative amenities in the country? Judge based on the following criteria:

- Roof Top Public Spaces (Pools, Jacuzzi, Sauna, etc./green space)
-Building Interior/Exterior Water Features (Water Fountains and other water features)
-Lobby Interior Design
-Building Movie Theaters etc.
-Gym
-Building Interior Furniture Design
-Building Community Spaces (Kitchen’s, Outdoor Seating/Grills, Lounges, Computer’s/Business Center)
-Concierge
-Pet Salon etc.
-Sales/Leasing Office Design
-Access to Transportation

Please post pictures you have taken, or links to picture's so people can see and vote for the buildings around the country. Thanks and Enjoy!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Definitely not. Even within DC Im sure there are more sought after and prestigious buildings.
"Sought After" is very age specific. Like I said to Prelude91, this building is the most sought after building for young people right now. That's why it was voted #1 in D.C. It's probably not the type of building someone in their late 30's or 40's would be dyeing to move to, but people in their 20's and early 30's, everyone is talking about this building. It's the #1 roof top experience in the city right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City