Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Place?
New York City 5 7.58%
Washington DC 7 10.61%
Atlanta 27 40.91%
Charlotte 14 21.21%
Raleigh 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
But he's not moving at his end goal.

"I'm a new grad and am pursuing a career in finance/accounting". He went on to say "which one fits my NEEDS currently."
I'd just say NYC if you're putting that big of a priority on the first point of concentration of Fortune 500/1000 and large tech/biotech sector. That would scream NYC well above anything else.

Addendum: is his "a large amount of professionals in this industry within my area to network with is huge and by far the most important factor" referring to the tech sector or finance/accounting? It seemed to me that "this industry" meant tech. In which case, definitely Raleigh before Charlotte. But if it's about finance/accounting, then Charlotte before Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I do want to add another thing for the OP though: do you have any established friends or family members in any of these areas. You're a new grad, so it's easy to take that for granted, but it's definitely something that helps smooth things along and make everything a lot less daunting.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:39 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
The OP wants to work FOR a biotech or software/hardware company AS a finance officer. In that respect, Raleigh is a more suitable choice than Charlotte. However, it seems that the Bay Area would be ideal here.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:53 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The OP wants to work FOR a biotech or software/hardware company AS a finance officer. In that respect, Raleigh is a more suitable choice than Charlotte. However, it seems that the Bay Area would be ideal here.
If that's what the OP meant, then I agree.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,905 times
Hi all,

First of all, I really appreciate all the responses as I make my decision. One thing that keeps popping up is the fixation on biotech/software companies. Make no mistake that I would eventually like to work in those industries, but whether or not it is absolutely necessary to start off there is another story. As it stands, I'll already be starting in the business advisory industry, which is fairly independent of the biotech space. Really, I just want to go to a place where I can expand my professional networks, get good experience, and then move on to something that I enjoy. I don't think I communicated that effectively in my post, so I apologize for the confusion.

Here's the thing; even though I'm starting in the service sector, I know that I won't stick with it for too long. My goal is to work in this field for 3-5 years and then move on. By that time I'll be ~30 and will be looking to settle down, but for now, I am ready to work really hard and network for the next 3-5 years to further my career. I only mentioned places I would consider settling long-term because my parents said that if all goes well, they may have some money that they'd be willing to invest in a property to help get me settled, so it may be nice to live in a place where I can buy cheap real estate (i.e. there's no way in hell my parents could help me buy a condo/apartment in NYC/DC proper...just no chance), but that's not my primary concern and I doubt that I'll get priced out of any of these locations besides maybe NYC/DC in 5 years, which is why it's so low on my priorities list.

I guess one more thing: I really don't like dealing with filth cockroaches/rats, etc. Are NYC/DC really bad in these regards or is that just exaggerated?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi all,

First of all, I really appreciate all the responses as I make my decision. One thing that keeps popping up is the fixation on biotech/software companies. Make no mistake that I would eventually like to work in those industries, but whether or not it is absolutely necessary to start off there is another story. As it stands, I'll already be starting in the business advisory industry, which is fairly independent of the biotech space. Really, I just want to go to a place where I can expand my professional networks, get good experience, and then move on to something that I enjoy. I don't think I communicated that effectively in my post, so I apologize for the confusion.

Here's the thing; even though I'm starting in the service sector, I know that I won't stick with it for too long. My goal is to work in this field for 3-5 years and then move on. By that time I'll be ~30 and will be looking to settle down, but for now, I am ready to work really hard and network for the next 3-5 years to further my career. I only mentioned places I would consider settling long-term because my parents said that if all goes well, they may have some money that they'd be willing to invest in a property to help get me settled, so it may be nice to live in a place where I can buy cheap real estate (i.e. there's no way in hell my parents could help me buy a condo/apartment in NYC/DC proper...just no chance), but that's not my primary concern and I doubt that I'll get priced out of any of these locations besides maybe NYC/DC in 5 years, which is why it's so low on my priorities list.

I guess one more thing: I really don't like dealing with filth cockroaches/rats, etc. Are NYC/DC really bad in these regards or is that just exaggerated?
If you are depending on the biotech field, I do suggest Raleigh.

That is one the main things the city (or metro) is known for, have you looked into the RTP? The cost of living obviously isn't as bad as NYC/DC and would still be an ideal location to settle down in.

Have you now specified your search to just NYC/DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City