Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what city would you live in permanently
NYC 19 11.52%
LA 19 11.52%
Chicago 32 19.39%
DC 7 4.24%
SF 22 13.33%
Boston 9 5.45%
Philly 23 13.94%
Dallas 13 7.88%
Miami 8 4.85%
Houston 13 7.88%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I am thinking about it more than just what they're known for. I mean, I love Philly cheesesteak, for example (if done right) and pizza sometimes, and hot dog sometimes, etc but for me personally it's more about what I have access to. Can I go out and get good X cuisine? Can I get a really, really good fine dinner? If you're going to be living in a city, I'd bet there's good chances that you aren't going to be eating philly cheesesteak every night of the week really.

Earth to New York: Philly Ain't No Compromise | Zagat Blog
Philadelphia’s Restaurant Scene Given A Glowing Five-Page Profile In Travel + Leisure’s November Issue | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/23/tr...anted=all&_r=0
What Defines a Great Food City? | Food & Wine
Why Eating Out in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Has Never Been Better: BA Daily: Bon Appétit
Why Philadelphia's Restaurant Scene Is So Diverse - Amanda Erickson - The Atlantic Cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
You took what I said too literally and it had nothing to do with Philadelphia. The main point is that someone points out what that city is known for, and in this case my example was Philadelphia. The *point* is that when you're in a city, you want a diverse food scene and you aren't going to be eating say pizza or hot dogs or cheesesteak every night probably, even though that's what the city is "known for." At least if you are a normal, non picky eater. A city's food scene is rated on many things, such as variety, quality, etc and not just what foods they invented and are mainly indigenous (although it counts for a little bit).

I am aware that Philly's food scene is diverse, but you missed my point.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,335 times
Which of these metro areas have the most service sector jobs (restaurants, hotels, tourism, bartending, retailing etc)

Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Which of these metro areas have the most service sector jobs (restaurants, hotels, tourism, bartending, retailing etc)
My guess for the top 5, in no particular order, would be NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Miami...mayyybe San Francisco? I am certain though that NYC, LA, and Chicago are the top 3. I think two out of DC, Miami, and San Francisco come next.

Though out of all cities, I would guess that Vegas, Orlando, and New Orleans have more hotels, for example, than people might think versus a few other larger cities.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My guess for the top 5, in no particular order, would be NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Miami...mayyybe San Francisco? I am certain though that NYC, LA, and Chicago are the top 3. I think two out of DC, Miami, and San Francisco come next.

Though out of all cities, I would guess that Vegas, Orlando, and New Orleans have more hotels, for example, than people might think versus a few other larger cities.
I appreciate the response but my question needs to be reworded. I'm looking for percentages and not sheer numbers. I have experience or want to get into HR, sales, marketing, banking, management. I want to avoid jobs in finance, IT, engineering, accounting, retail and all other service sector jobs.

I think LA and Miami would have the most service sector jobs. SF is too IT based while Houston is more for engineers.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I appreciate the response but my question needs to be reworded. I'm looking for percentages and not sheer numbers. I have experience or want to get into HR, sales, marketing, banking, management. I want to avoid jobs in finance, IT, engineering, accounting, retail and all other service sector jobs.

I think LA and Miami would have the most service sector jobs. SF is too IT based while Houston is more for engineers.
Gotcha. Not really sure. HR, sales, marketing, banking, and management. My guess from that would be NYC, Chicago, Boston, maybe Dallas, Houston, etc. Maybe swap Boston and Philadelphia? Not sure. All these places have a large presence of this kind of stuff, but percentage wise it might be different. You might want to check the Occupational Earnings reports from the BLS. I believe they give percentages for each industry. It is by metro area though not city.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM

274 posts, read 470,180 times
downtown: Philly. It's the number 1 downtown in my book
neighborhoods: New York, Philly and Los Angeles
transit: New York
weather: Philly and San Diego
Safety: Philly
Nightlife: Philly
Food: Philly, New Orleans and Portland
Parks: Portland
Diversity: New York and LA
Culture: Philly and LA

Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM

79 posts, read 140,009 times
1) Chicago (currently live in burbs of chicago)
2) New York
3) LA
4) Miami
5) Boston
I'm done with dessert cities. I use to live in phx for 6yrs can't take the heat anymore.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM

541 posts, read 912,062 times
Extremely tough for me..

between NYC, Chicago, SF, Philly, DC and LA.

Picked Chicago because its the most balanced and best quality of life/cost of living.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,803 times
I'm from philly born and raised and I visited Chicago all ima say is yes Chicago is bigger but I wouldn't compare it to new york city by any means next Philly isn't country and it's much faster here then chi town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City